Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #1

V10 Tune Ultra RV tune

Thinking about getting a Upford handheld tuner for the shifting on transmission
on the V10
Anyone have this and what are your thought's

Thanks for any info

Jim
jjwvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #2

That appears to be the same as what I bought from 5 Star Tuning for $450 back in 2017.

I bought it because I was tired of listening to the roar of the engine revving over 4,000 rpm every time we hit a very slight slope (like crossing an overpass). The initial tune they provided was definitely an improvement over stock, but I wanted even more.

So I wrote them and said I would prefer that the engine not rev above 3000 rpm or so, even if it means that the speed will decrease by 15 mph. They sent me another custom tune (for free), and now I'm very happy with it.

I can leave the cruise control set at 60 mph, and if we start a long uphill climb. the speed will drop, but we won't have to listen to the engine roar.
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlovers View Post
That appears to be the same as what I bought from 5 Star Tuning for $450 back in 2017.

I bought it because I was tired of listening to the roar of the engine revving over 4,000 rpm every time we hit a very slight slope (like crossing an overpass). The initial tune they provided was definitely an improvement over stock, but I wanted even more.

So I wrote them and said I would prefer that the engine not rev above 3000 rpm or so, even if it means that the speed will decrease by 15 mph. They sent me another custom tune (for free), and now I'm very happy with it.

I can leave the cruise control set at 60 mph, and if we start a long uphill climb. the speed will drop, but we won't have to listen to the engine roar.
And won't you have to use the accelerator to keep the rpm up because your speed control will have kicked off? If so, what's the point?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:

I tried to order the tuner and was told it is not legal in California. Were you told the same, even there website says "This product is not legal for sale or use in California on pollution controlled motor vehicles. Thus, this product will not ship to addresses in California due to state regulations".
Old 05-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks for your info
jjwvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
And won't you have to use the accelerator to keep the rpm up because your speed control will have kicked off? If so, what's the point?
Here's what happens now, with the 5StarTune:

1) We driving along on level ground with the Cruise Control set at 60 mph. The engine rpm is about 2K.
2) We start climbing a slight grade, and our speed drops to 59.
3) The engine rpm starts increasing, to maintain the speed at 60.
4) When the rpm gets up to 3K, it stops increasing, so our speed starts decreasing.
5) As long as our speed stays above 45, the rpm doesn't go above 3K, and we're happy.
6) If the grade is steep enough, or long enough, and the speed drops below 45, the transmission will finally downshift and cause the rpm to go over 4K. At that point, I'll disengage the Cruise Control.

Before the 5StarTune, the engine would've gone to 4K rpm almost immediately.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarterhb1951 View Post
I tried to order the tuner and was told it is not legal in California. Were you told the same
No, I wasn't told that, although I did wonder about it.

However, the literature did say that I should restore the factory tune before selling the RV, and possibly before having any major engine repair done.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:

1) We driving along on level ground with the Cruise Control set at 60 mph. The engine rpm is about 2K.
4) When the rpm gets up to 3K, it stops increasing, so our speed starts decreasing.
5) As long as our speed stays above 45, the rpm doesn't go above 3K, and we're happy.
6) If the grade is steep enough, or long enough, and the speed drops below 45, the transmission will finally downshift and cause the rpm to go over 4K. At that point, I'll disengage the Cruise Control.

So, you set cruise at 60 and at 45 it has not automatically disengaged. Typically, cruise will automatically disengage when speed drops to about 10 mph below set speed. Sounds as though 5Star has manipulated the cruise control disengagement speed spread some how and allow speed to drop beyond cruise normal disengagement and/or throttle increase to maintain set speed. See no difference in manually disconnecting cruise (tap brake) when starting up a steep hill and manually controlling the throttle and manually down shifting as necessary. Which is what it sounds like you eventually have to do. I would also add that it sounds as though your cruise set speed is not very well maintained if the downshifts are allowing a greater reduced speed before engaging. Oh well.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
See no difference in manually disconnecting cruise (tap brake) when starting up a steep hill and manually controlling the throttle and manually down shifting as necessary.
Well, the difference is that I don't have to do that stuff manually, which is the whole point of having cruise control.

Quote:
Which is what it sounds like you eventually have to do.

Yes, if the hill is long enough or or steep enough. But most of the time, we can cross overpasses, or climb small hills, without having to listen to the engine over-rev trying to maintain speed, which is how it used to behave.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #10

Personally, When I get up into mountains, I do all my shifting manually. There is a reason you want the RPM to be at or close to 4000RPM, it's easier on your transmission/engine and peak HP is at a higher RPM.

If I am in a steep grade, I never have the cruise control on.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
I tried to order the tuner and was told it is not legal in California. Were you told the same, even there website says "This product is not legal for sale or use in California on pollution controlled motor vehicles. Thus, this product will not ship to addresses in California due to state regulations".
I got mine from UltraRv located in Washington state. Didn’t see any info on their website about California but it could be so. Most folks I know out there use a Nevada or Arizona address to receive stuff the gubment there bans.

I think the product would be OK but most small businesses don’t want to spend the money it takes to comply. There’s a business near me that specializes in changing all the extra stuff on current model diesel trucks. They have proved their mod is actually a lot cleaner than the factory setups but it would cost megabucks to get formal approval. The mods provide a major increase in performance and mileage. The downside is the truck will be just a little noisier and it costs over $3,000.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #12

Do you know anybody in another state? Have it sent to them and then they can resend it to you.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 AM   #13

Quote:

Do you have a model number for what you ordered, would like to do the same for our 30DS.
LDStaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStaas View Post
Do you have a model number for what you ordered, would like to do the same for our 30DS.
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Ford...-Custom-Tuning
Old 06-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #15

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am also concerned about whether it will pass smog in SoCal.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but I am also concerned about whether it will pass smog in SoCal.
UltraRV is great to work with and very knowledgeable. Talk to them and I bet they’ll accept a return if you can’t get past the smog nazis. You can always reload the stock program if doesn’t pass.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #17

I just installed the UpFord tuning and the Banks Power Ram-Air Intake on our V10 in Missouri. (2008 F53 chassis under a 2010 Georgetown 350TS) The uptune is immediately noticeable, and the air intake definitely increases the noise during acceleration. Very happy overall, and very happy with UltraRV products. The Banks Power Ram-Air was much easier to install than I thought - maybe 2 hours, including 20 minutes removing, dropping, retrieving, and reinstalling a part that didn't need to be removed! Hardest part was removing and reinstalling the doghouse.

I would recommend the UpFord tune from Ultra RV.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #18

Would doing the tuning void the factory warranty?
Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #19

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5237.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	231950
This is the answer to your question off their website.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
Attachment 231950
This is the answer to your question off their website.

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered the unit.
Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote