Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #1

valve stem extensions

How many fr3 owners have to take chrome covers off of your wheels to either check air or add air to tires? and do you have extensions on valve stems and if so did they come with your new fr3??? I was told only inside dual tires came with extensions on inside duals that were attached with a bracket to the wheel some how. I only have extensions on inside duals, not attached to a bracket and they tend to flop around a great deal, that does not look very sanitary to me.
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #2

I had the dealer install valve stem extensions on all wheels. It was difficult to add air and I wanted to add a tire pressure monitoring system to the MH (which wouldn't fit on ANY of the valve stems from the factory). On the flexible extensions on the duals, there is a bracket to keep them from "flopping around." I'll try to get a picture to post for you.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #3

Thanks I would appreciate that
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #4

Question about valve stems- as mentioned in other threads I cannot get the tip of an air gauge or filler on the outboard valve stem as it is just behind the wheel cover; extensions would make the stem too long so are there other types of extensions available? Also the tool to remove the wheel cover nuts is too flimsy and starts to twist the metal rod...perhaps the wheel cover nuts were installed too tightly, so I had to buy 1 1/8 socket
TravellingBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Motoring

I think that tool was to drain your water heater for the winter. But it was still to flimsy for that job so you will need That socket and a breaker bar. I'm pretty sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #6

I just bought some 135 degree valve stem extenders for the rear outside tire of my 30DS. Went on quickly and once installed you can check tire pressure and add air without removing the wheel covers. Wheelmaster Part number
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #7

Here is the rear valve stem extension with the brace that holds it. The black knob on the end is the pressure/temperature monitor for the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Ext.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	62040  
Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #8

So what system did you go with..?

Your tire temperature/pressure system looks interesting. What system did you go with, where did you get it and what was the cost? Any problems with it and would you do it again?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #9

I got the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System. There area a few systems out there. I went with the "knobs" that go where valve caps screw on. They have another system that is installed on the inside of the tire and mounts to the rim. I've been using it for a few months, no problems yet. There a small unit displays the pressure and temperature that can plug into a cigarette lighter. It is rechargeable, too.

I'm a big believe in tire pressure monitoring. I'd probably go with the system that mounts inside the rim if I could do it all over again.Bottom line is the system has worked very well for me.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #10

Attached is a link to the etrailer website for those brackets Spicy is showing in his pic. My coach did not have those installed when I picked it up.

Replacement Mounting Brackets for Wheel Masters Hand-Hole-Mount Dual Tire Inflation Kits - Qty 10 Wheel Masters Wheel Accessories WM9037-10
Old 11-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #11

Did you have to remove the core from the first ones?
deannelsonrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

You do not have to remove the old valve cores when installing an extension
Old 12-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #13

I did not like the flexible valve extenders, nor the metal clip they used to keep them from flopping around, so I bought the DuallyValve DL3FC solid extenders and had a local tire shop install them. Then I added the Tire-SafeGuard TPMS system for piece of mind. It will monitor the FR3 tires, plus the toad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	67104  
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #14

I don't like extenders if I don't have to have them, potential leak. You can't get around not having them on the dollies inside tire but the outside tire I removed the cover and cut the holes big enough to get a Guage and air nozzle on. Fronts were OK. Cheap fix! Looks great
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote