Old 07-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #1

WARRANTY???

Hi! We are expecting to take delivery of a new FR3 DS32 in a couple of days. We are wanting to get an extended warranty but had read here somewhere its better to go through a 3rd party vs the dealer. Can I get some recommendations on good warranty companies? Do they cover everything and how much time past the FR warranty can we go? So many things that can break Id rather have some peace of mind it will be covered if it breaks! TIA!

Old 07-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #2

Save your money, you will end up repairing most of the stuff your self anyway.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFR3 View Post
Save your money, you will end up repairing most of the stuff your self anyway.
I'd save the money too. With the help of this forum, we should be able to address any issues. And remember after the 1 year warranty is up, each device within the unit has its own warranty. So the Onan Gen for example has a 3 year warranty, Domestic AC (In my case) has a 2 year warranty, etc...Just not worth the hassle to make the trip to your dealer and be without the unit IMO for weeks on end.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

You have to read the "fine" print in the warranties. Many may/will cover parts, but not labor. Some will not replace an entire appliance, but only a part. Many will not cover leaks or delamination, running gear.
Some will try and get you to buy "extended tire coverage" for a cost that would just about pay for a new set of tires.
And then you have to find a dealer/repair shop thats willing to repair your problem using the warranty. You may have to pay for it out of pocket, and try to get reimbursed by the company. Lots of posts on people trying to get that done.
Many will require you to have your rig go through an "annual inspection" sometimes costing several hundred bucks to keep the policy in effect.
As was mentioned, if your handy and a do-it-yourselfer, you can probably take care of most of the problems or or repairs you may need.
Do a lot of research before signing on the dotted line.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Camping trips this year so far...8
Days camping...75
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice! My husband is very handy and I think he will be able to handle most minor things. My concerns are more the big stuff i.e slides failing, walls separating, I've read some pretty crazy stuff on here! I saw someone post that FR offers an extended 2 yr warranty for around $200 - would that be worth it if its something offered on our coach? This forum is definitely a plethora of helpful info! we've spent the last few days reading and reading just to prepare ourselves
Old 07-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

do NOT buy a warranty from the dealer. The markup is usually huge.
Read about the difference between an 'INCLUSION" and an 'EXCLUSION" extended warranty.
Once you have educated yourself on which to choose, go shopping.
It would be ridiculous purchasing an extended warranty from a repair shop that may be 100 miles away so see what kind of warranties your local RV repair shop has to offer. I would really recommend an independent.

Should Murelene and I decided on an extended warranty once the year is up on our Sunseeker, we will choose one that our local independent, A & S RV Center, honors. When we had problems with our selling dealer, FR Customer Support got them to do warranty work on our Motor home, they did an excellent job in a timely manor, so we plan on having anything we can't handle ourselves done there.

As far as the chassis goes, that would probably require a separate extended warranty should you choose to go that way.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerber77 View Post
Thanks for the advice! My husband is very handy and I think he will be able to handle most minor things. My concerns are more the big stuff i.e slides failing, walls separating, I've read some pretty crazy stuff on here! I saw someone post that FR offers an extended 2 yr warranty for around $200 - would that be worth it if its something offered on our coach? This forum is definitely a plethora of helpful info! we've spent the last few days reading and reading just to prepare ourselves
The extended warranty from FR that you are talking about is for their trailers and excludes motor homes.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #8

If you can get the 2nd year from FR (I was able) for $200.00 I do think that is well worth the $$. As said, after market warrantees just are not worth the $$ or the hassle.......

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #9

I did some research last night and seems that and exclusionary warranty is better. Our dealer seems pretty good - and I know a few people with RVs who've had service done here and been pretty happy - though idk if it was warranty or otherwise. We did bypass the dealer pushed warranty as my experience with cars at least has told me they want the sale more than they want to offer you a service Again, just making sure we make a smart decision based on what peoples experiences are. My personal vehicle is the first car we've ever purchased an extended warranty for but if one of the airbags/shocks goes out its an $1800 repair so we figured that one was a no brainer - plus that warranty is prorated and refunded should we sell the car before the 5 year extension is up - and it doesn't start until my factory warranty is out. Would it work the same way with the RV? Like I said - just looking to cover the major things - I'm assuming we have some time before we need to decide? We don't pick it up until Wed. If its gonna cost way more that worth it then we will pass - My husband has big trucks at work and so they have an relationship with the local Ford dealer as well so we would be taking it there for anything chassis related.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #10

Warranty repairs sit and collect dust. Cash repairs are done immediately . Would never waste my money on Ext Warranties. Some dealers really pressure you to buy because it's all margin for them .

Tags
warranty