Old 09-17-2015, 12:23 AM   #31
Plain Old Member

FR needs to take a long look at Tiffin's business model. Although they have their issues too, they are a far better outfit. I've owned motorhomes from both. Tiffin has the help line, all the time. Call, they pull up prints of your RV and usually can help you out. They will overnight parts to the campground you're at, and reimburse a mobile service to fix. Of course they have Camp Redbay, where they'll fix anything, a lot of times out of warranty. I could go on and on. I've called before, sent a picture of the issue, and had parts the next day at my own doorstep. And of course, you can get the MH worked on practically anywhere, and they'll approve it or reimburse. We primarily used independent (no sales) service places for ours when needed. I don't think FR will ever do this, but sure wish they would. That's why, even though Tiffin has their issues, they have a cult like following.

I have first hand experience at the factory service center. They did try, but it wasn't the best experience I ever had. Got home after a door replacement (Took 3 trips to the paint shop to get it right), and a total slide out repositioning and seal replacement due to leaks. Got home, after a rain had water in the floor, traded it shortly thereafter. FR motorhomes are OK, but I won't own another due to my experiences.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:23 AM   #32

Hello All,
I am going to wade in on this FR warranty and customer service in general issue. I sure wish I had known about this forum BEFORE our purchase, but, live and learn.
My wife and I purchased a "new" 2008 8315SS in 2010 for a great price from a local dealer. Since the "new" unit was already 2 years old I went with the 5 year "warranty" from the dealer. Well, it's wasn't a "warranty", it was a "Service Contract" as I later found out. (Next purchase will be the second year FR, truer warranty and save the extra money for future possible repairs). We did have some minor issues during the first year of FR warranty that were quickly fixed by the local dealer. Nothing major, I guess, that would have required big $$$ and or a big deal approval from the factory.
My wife and I LOVE this TT and have made many trips around the country in it.
A couple of years ago I noticed a soft spot developing in the floor in the kitchen in front of the stove. This area soon spread, got worse and also developed soft spots in other areas. Now, our unit is just about worthless as who wants to buy an RV with soft floors that feel like you could fall through it. Read many threads here and other places as well as to some fixes. Some looked like pretty good ideas and worked well for those owners I'm sure. But I am unable to do any of those repairs myself. Saw many estimates as to do a correct fix on the floor from $6,000 to $10,000.
Took the unit to my local dealer and working through them and a few calls to FR I was able to get FR to approve them to pay the local dealer a couple of hours of labor to take off the bottom enclosure to confirm that our unit had no water leaks or water intrusion that might have caused this soft floor condition. This was done and confirmed, NO water leaks at all. The floor WAS a manufacture defect. Which I knew of because of this forum and other info on the internet.
Spoke to the FR factory warranty folks in Elkhart and they said the only way to correctly fix this situation was to take out the whole floor and put in a new one as the floor is part of the structure of the whole unit. Cutting out a portion of the floor would not work.
FR agreed to do this for us for labor cost only and they would cover the cost of all materials AND we would have to bring it to Elkhart at the factory to have it done. Since my wife and I had already planned a trip to MI this summer we just stopped on the way and had this done.
We dropped the unit off on a Monday and went to visit family in the area and picked it up on Friday of the same week.
Floyd, at the FR service department at the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite factory in Millersburg knew we were coming and went over what was going to happen and asked if there were any other issues he could look at for us while the unit was in. Left him with a short list of other items and left the unit.
Went back on Friday and my wife and I could not believe this was our unit. It had a brand new 2015 floor, rock solid. The short list of items was completed as well as some other small issues he found. All new skirting on the outside, new updated stove outside vent cover. New updated carpeting on the super slide. Now that's service.
Would I have preferred to have never had this problem in the first place, of course. Nobody's perfect, but it's how you handle problems/concerns that really make you a great company. We took the time to tour the Rockwood factory line while we were there and it was a sight to behold. Seeing the employees building the units was unbelievable. Working fast, YES, working smart, YES. But quality was definitely stressed with checks and balances in place. Perfect, NO. nothing is but IMHO the best.
Wife and I have been in Customer Service all our working lives, now retired.
You always get more with honey instead of vinegar before the BIG GUNS!
Never had to pull them out of the holster on this one.
We are now looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel, a 8289WS specifically, and it will be a Signature Ultra Lite.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduke1956 View Post
I am a Supply Chain 'Expert', been at it for over 40 years, I wrote Travis and told him I would be glad to review FR processes and procedures for 'free', they just have to pay my room and board (I am cheap), they are NOT so big as to think there is not a resolution whereas everyone 'wins', the Company, the Customer, more importantly, the BRAND. The review would not take long, week or two, warranty processing is not 'rocket science', but like a previous poster stated, Customer Service is a 'Goal', not a focus, over a short time, the Brand will be diminished, they will 'wonder' what happened, when it is staring them in the face, then they will 're-brand'. From what I have read and understand, most RVer's buy more than once, maybe up to 3 times over the time they are in the market.

I know I sound cocky, but I know what I know, I have 'fixed' many a department over my 40+ years working in Supply Chain, if FR wants to take me up on it, they can contact me, I will do it for 'free', if they find value in the resolution, they can reward me, if not, they are where they are.
I worked in Customer Service for almost 30 years and I would be happy to consult with them on C/S and how to follow through with promises, etc. I love our FR3 and have had relatively few problems with it compared to others, but I can see where FR could make a lot of improvements with not a lot of additional capital investment.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
We are a week into a 3600 mile round trip from Texas to Northern California involving 100+ degree heat, mountain climbs, gobs of dust and smoke and have now experienced enough issues that I called FR yesterday. Kevin Stratton is on vacation and I was patched over to Brian Knight and left a message. He called me back this afternoon and we had a refreshing conversation and he left me with the feeling that he really cared about this product. I also followed up by email recapping our conversation but I also had to provide him with additional information regarding the MH and I was not at the MH at that time. I'm truly hoping we will be one of the success stories.

Back to you later with more details.
I received an email from Bryan Knight yesterday, detailing what FR would cover as a gesture of good will. I'll be making my appointment at the FR dealer next week and we shall see. Truly hoping things may have turned around at FR.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #35

Consumer Advisor Group

FR should monitor these forums, they should have at least a Quarterly Town hall for Consumers to voice their feedback, any National RV Dealer Association should have a forum as well, the RV industry needs to clean up their image, many of us would be glad to offer levels of expertise for free to get a better product and service levels associated w/that product. Today's technology allows so much freedom in Communication. I have always dreamed of having an RV, I bought one, but the reality vs the fantasy is somewhat disappointing.
US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
bigduke1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduke1956 View Post
FR should monitor these forums, they should have at least a Quarterly Town hall for Consumers to voice their feedback, any National RV Dealer Association should have a forum as well, the RV industry needs to clean up their image, many of us would be glad to offer levels of expertise for free to get a better product and service levels associated w/that product. Today's technology allows so much freedom in Communication. I have always dreamed of having an RV, I bought one, but the reality vs the fantasy is somewhat disappointing.
I actually added the link to this forum to my email to Bryan. Of course, I know from experience that he and the other warranty techs are the narrow spot in the hour glass. My grandma always said you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #37

Thanks
Albert1950
Do you have the names and locations of the other two. Repair places.?
Thanks
Old 09-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #38

Philv,

Sorry I don't, however, they were on the east side or east of Cleveland. Travis also told me if I found an RV dealer I wanted to use they could call him and he would arrange for them to get paid for warranty work.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #39

Thanks Albert1950, been trying to contact Travis Bird all week.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #40

Update on my situation

Travis Bird called me back today. It seems he has given Authorization to Camping world. Camping world told me they were waiting for Authorization. I have been tryiung to call Camping World today. Left a message for some reason they won't call me back.

I do have to say Travis Bird for F.R. has always seemed fair to me. I can not say that for the attitude and work from RV dealerships.

Tags
repair, repairs, warranty