Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #1

Warranty Repairs

We purchased our FR3 30DS in early July and after a few short trips, took it from Southern California to Zion National Park. What a great trip and shakedown cruise for the RV. By the time we got home, I had a fairly extensive list of items that needed to be addressed under warranty. It took about 3 weeks to get the RV into Giant RV due to their busy schedule but what the hell they are local and I strongly believe in keeping the tax dollars local. When I dropped it off On the 20th of August, told them that I needed it back on Sept 11th for a family trip to the beach for the weekend. I went to the dealership at noon to pick it up only to find that NONE of the things I dropped it off for were repaired. "Still waiting manufacturer authorization" was what I was told. I immediately called a Forest River leaving voice mails for Kevin Stratton and Travis Bird. By noon Monday still no call back from either.

If I handled my business like this, I would be out of business.

Out of desperation I did a little online research findings the names of Rod Batts (FR3, Director of Warranty Repairs) and his boss, Dan Evans. I drafted an email to both explaining the broken system and lack of response.

This morning I received an email from Rob explaining that all but a few had been reviewed and approved. They will follow up with the dealer today for further information.

Is this what one should expect with a Forest River? I understand the logistics of the manufacturer also needing to work with their supply chain for defective parts but it seems to me that the customer is the one suffering the most.

Their system is broken!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
justdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #2

Sorry to hear stories like this. One BIG reason we decided NOT to buy a new RV. Just wasn't worth dealing with the dealership wait time to repair anything. I've also called/emailed Travis before with no reply or answer. Just a shame they can't provide just some form of better customer service. Hope you find some resolution ASAP!
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #3

Justdave:

Dave I feel you pain. I can only speak from my own personal experiance. I had several warranty issues. The first go round ; Forrest River approved the work and parts very quickly. The dealership told me they had to wait 4 weeks for the parts. This turned out to be untrue.
The unit a ( 2014 FR-3 , 28DS) was not repaired properly. I took it to another dealership and they have had it for 4 weeks now. I the 4 weeks its been at this dealership they only found one problem out of 5 probelms that I have taken it there for. They advised they finally have authorization from F.R. to repair but are now waiting for the part. This is for a camera that was repaired at the other dealership that is still not working and has to be replaced now.
So.........long story short I picked up the R.V. the end of april its the middle of september and the RV has been in a dealership for 8 weeks and counting . So out of 20 weeks that I have owned this brand new RV. It has been in the shop for 8 of the 20 weeks. Thats 40 % of the time. But I am still paying 100% of the payment I owe. Will be time to put RV in storage in about 4 weeks. So if I can't use it again till next spring that will be 12 weeks in the shop out of 24 weeks. 50 %. If you count the weeks it will be in storage for winter. It will be out of use, thats 9 months of non use and payments and a grand total of 12 weeks (three months) of use in a year. Divide that total years worth of payments by 3 months use, Its a very expensive deal. Not happy so far in my first year.
philv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

My story is unfortunately the same as the others here...

Bought my 25DS in October last year. In the first 5 months I owned it, the dealer had it 3 months for check list items, repairs and warranty work and I had it 2 months.

I recently had to schedule an appt with the dealer for more warranty work. They were 3 weeks out (which is normal it seems) but I told them before I brought it in that I had to have it back in 3 weeks as we were going on an important trip with it. I even said that if they couldn't get it fixed in the 3 weeks that I would bring it back in October since I wouldn't be using it in October and they could keep it as long as they wanted. Dealer said no problem and bring it in now.

So I bring it in and a couple of days before I'm supposed to pick it up, I email to make sure things are on track. Long story short, I show up to pick the RV up (after being told to come get it) and NOTHING had been done. On top of that, I found out that the parts that were needed were ordered the day BEFORE I was to get it back. This, after sitting for 22 days on their lot. The person I was working with for the repairs mysteriously called in sick the day I was picking it up - convenient.

I'm a pretty mellow guy, but I was irate and lost it. I ended up taking it home (after a 2 hour drive to get it) with a leaking windshield, broken stairs motor, among other things. It has now been another 3 weeks since I picked it up and have received no other communication from the dealer regarding the parts or to reschedule, other than the paper work order that I received in the mail a few days after picking it up along with a sticky note saying sorry for the miscommunication.

On top of all of this, on a long trip back in July, the fridge, water heater and furnace wouldn't fire consistently (or at all) while dry-camping. Coach net was not helpful as we were 2 hours away from a mobile mechanic and they said it wasn't covered since it wasn't a mechanical issue. I had to call a local plumber to come out and test the propane system, which resulted in replacing the regulator at the propane tank because of low pressure. He was generous enough to drive 2 hours to pick up a new regulator. I paid him out of my pocket but it didn't resolve the problem. Once home the dealer said they were 6 weeks out so I called Forest River and told them I was bringing in a mobile mechanic to get it fixed as we were in between trips and I couldn't wait 6 weeks for the dealer and for them to keep it another 3 weeks. I emailed Travis (among others) at FR and was told that I would be reimbursed for my expenses. It has been 2 months since I submitted all paperwork and receipts for +$500.00 in expenses and I have yet to be reimbursed.

It's a broken business model. Plain and simple. The dealer has no incentive to be proactive in getting you back on the road. They are getting reimbursed from the manufacturer and they already have your money from when you purchase the rig so they get to it when they get to it. RV's needing repairs sit on the back lot while they are pushing new RV sales on the front lot. You're told when you purchase the RV that you'll go to the front of the line for warranty and repair IF you purchase from them but that's BS.
The manufacturer is like any corporate entity, too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Everything has to be run up the flag pole for approval and each take their own time doing so.

It's not just Forest River but many other manufacturer's and dealers are the same.

My advice is if you are going to buy from a dealer, do so from someone as close as possible to cut down travel and headache time getting it back and forth and pray to the good man above that once you're warranty is up that you don't have any major issues.

Watch and learn as much as you can while people are working on it so that you understand how things are put together so that you can fix it yourself if you need to. Carry every tool you may ever need while on the road. Carry extra fuses, clamps, gorilla glue, low voltage wires, extra water pump, silicon caulk, extra screws, nuts and bolts and anything else you may ever think you will need so that you can be self-sufficient and do the repairs yourself.

I'm scared to death that in a month - once I'm out of warranty - I'm gonna be spending thousands to fix stuff myself.

Understand what you're getting yourself into before you purchase a lower-end unit like these FR3's. Yea, the price is good but you get what you pay for so don't expect a Phaeton quality on these.
As many RV trips as possible for the lifestyle!
Meathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

I have also had issues with my FR3, some were under warranty, and some that were not under warranty. However, all of my experiences with Forest River have been very satisfactory. They took care of those items under warranty, and also covered items that were no longer under warranty. Travis has been a great contact for me, and even though it may take him a day or two to answer my emails, he always does.

Now, having said that, I found that most of the delays were not on Forest River, but on the dealership. And as you said, usually they are very busy, and you can't get in for several weeks. So I have learned from experience, that when I take my FR3 in for warranty issues (or any reason), instead of just dropping it off, I tell them I will wait. I may have to spend the whole day waiting, but I get everything taken care of, and ready to get back on the road. Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdave View Post
We purchased our FR3 30DS in early July and after a few short trips, took it from Southern California to Zion National Park. What a great trip and shakedown cruise for the RV. By the time we got home, I had a fairly extensive list of items that needed to be addressed under warranty. It took about 3 weeks to get the RV into Giant RV due to their busy schedule but what the hell they are local and I strongly believe in keeping the tax dollars local. When I dropped it off On the 20th of August, told them that I needed it back on Sept 11th for a family trip to the beach for the weekend. I went to the dealership at noon to pick it up only to find that NONE of the things I dropped it off for were repaired. "Still waiting manufacturer authorization" was what I was told. I immediately called a Forest River leaving voice mails for Kevin Stratton and Travis Bird. By noon Monday still no call back from either.

If I handled my business like this, I would be out of business.

Out of desperation I did a little online research findings the names of Rod Batts (FR3, Director of Warranty Repairs) and his boss, Dan Evans. I drafted an email to both explaining the broken system and lack of response.

This morning I received an email from Rob explaining that all but a few had been reviewed and approved. They will follow up with the dealer today for further information.

Is this what one should expect with a Forest River? I understand the logistics of the manufacturer also needing to work with their supply chain for defective parts but it seems to me that the customer is the one suffering the most.

Their system is broken!

I also had my FR3 in at Giant RV in Montclair for warranty issues. I didn't need the MH back by any particular date but, after not hearing anything from the dealer for over a month I decided I'd check on the status. As with you, I was told they were waiting on FR approval. I checked with Travis Bird and he told me that the repairs had been approved over a week ago. I called Giant back and they changed there story that they were waiting on parts. The only part they needed was the new shower enclosure and it shipped the day after repair approval was made. A friends mother is the CFO for Giant and he called her and within 3 days I had my coach back and all repairs were done. It helps to have friends with relatives in high places. Basically what I found out is that warranty work is on the lowest rung of the list so don't hold your breath waiting for work to start.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #7

I know it's a strange question, but does anyone know if the factory does warranty repairs? A drive to Elkhart Indiana may be quicker than letting it sit at the dealer, and avoid the finger pointing for delays.
Scott
patanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #8

When my LCI steps broke on my first rv trip summer 2014. The rep at FR, Steve who no longer works there arranged for me to stop by Elkart as I passed by, and the gave me better Kiwi steps they installed them while I waited. They also fixed one of the fog lamps. The only scary thing was the concrete apron around their shop had 20 to 30 screws laying around. It really worried me that I was going to get a flat from just driving in the lot. They were very nice and fix my FR3 DS30 right up. There was also a Canadian couple getting their George town fixed while I was there. I gave steve a solo cup full of self tapping screws that I had picked up while waiting. I had other issues with my FR3 but they did not have the parts at the time I was there, and I had not pre-planned those fixes before arriving there. I have to say I pointed out a lot of the short comings of the 2014 FR3 to Steve. He took notes and every one of the things I mentioned were addressed in later models. Ie. AC too small, prewire for fans, gas only water heater, lack of manuals specific to FR3. I see the manuals are now online for the 2015's. Forest River does listen, they are just slow and under staffed. Everything that I needed fixed under warranty was agreed by Steve their rep. It was the dealer in Florida specifically a very poor service writer who lied repeatedly to my face several times that was the problem. In the end that service writer was removed from dealing with me and the corporate office of that nation wide dealer had the new manager from another city come in to fix the problems with the dealers service department.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #9

We are a week into a 3600 mile round trip from Texas to Northern California involving 100+ degree heat, mountain climbs, gobs of dust and smoke and have now experienced enough issues that I called FR yesterday. Kevin Stratton is on vacation and I was patched over to Brian Knight and left a message. He called me back this afternoon and we had a refreshing conversation and he left me with the feeling that he really cared about this product. I also followed up by email recapping our conversation but I also had to provide him with additional information regarding the MH and I was not at the MH at that time. I'm truly hoping we will be one of the success stories.

Back to you later with more details.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 AM   #10

So, from my similar and others experience, the following can be summed.

Dealers are all lying scumbags unless you know the CFO.

FR's CEO Pete Liegl at the 2015 FROG International stated, "Many people ask us how did we get there, and, quite honestly, the simple truth is our top priority is customer satisfaction. We have the responsibility to ensure customer satisfaction, and we live by that." This was only lip service unless you drive to the plant and clean it while you wait for your repairs.

My coach is out of warranty now, but I have a very detailed string of emails showing for the last 9 months my issues were reported and not solved during the warranty period.

In the state of Idaho the criteria for the Lemon Law is now satisfied and after sending one last email to customer relations, if no satisfaction is received an Attorney will be contacted.

I will find a way to get Pete Liegl's phone number to call him personally.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:49 AM   #11

When I picked up my new FR3 DS30 in March, I was told a decal was damaged and they would contact me when the part came in. Thirty days later I received a card telling me the decal was in. The dealership made their earliest appointment 3 weeks later. I dropped my RV off and was told it would be ready in 1 week, even though I was told it would only take about an hour to install the decal. I called after waiting 2 weeks, got voice mail, left a message asking the repair status. Of course they never called back. Finally got hold of someone, days later after numerous attempts, they checked the part in the box, and realized they had ordered the wrong decal, and it would be a few weeks to order another decal. I brought my RV back 1 month later and asked them to check my leaking A/C while it was there, and to install a vent fan in the Kitchen/Living Room. Same routine, 1 month passes no calls, no response to voice mail or emails. Finally get to talk to the service manager and his rep calls me and says it's done. Yep the decal is finally replaced, but the inside of motorhome is covered in insulation and sawdust, the fan is installed in the Bedroom not the Kitchen/Living Room as I asked, and 1 of my furnace bug screens is missing. I get home and after running the A/C for awhile it still leaks, I also find damage to my awning. I call back and rep says Oh we weren't finished, we had to order a new A/C unit, and we will look at your awning and furnace bug screen when you bring it back for the A/C replacement, in about a month. It sounds like most dealer warranty service is terrible.
jimcarterhb1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #12

I finally received an email early yesterday from Rod Batts apologizing for the lack of response and assuring me that all but three of the things I listed as being defective have been approved for repair on Saturday, 9/12/15 (21 days after I dropped it off at the dealer).

I took the email back to Giant RV and was advised by the service manager that they had also received the approvals and would work with afar for the remaining three issues. Further I was advised that the parts would be ordered and I would be called once they ALL come in.

So the clock is ticking. After a reasonable time if they are not resolved I will begin to seek legal advise from an attorney that handles lemon law claims.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #13

Great news Dave, but it shouldn't be US that makes the wheels turn. You bought a product with a warranty and expect them to honor it. Sure hope everything is fixed the first time and no return trips are in your future!

And a side note, it seems through other models within this forum, there is more company presence from representatives with regard to customer service. I don't know FR3 is just being neglected in that respect...
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #14

I agree wholeheartedly with you Kansas! It seems that customer service and customer satisfaction are only a "goal" for most companies these days. They forget that product name recognition and reputation are difficult to build but easily destroyed.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #15

Angry

Justdave and Kansas, you have hit upon a note that we all need to do. I have found many people are interested in the FR3. Of course they ask, "How do you like it?" to which my response shall be, "Don't buy one as the customer service from both FR and Dealer will not meet your satisfaction."

Generally the quality of the build is poor. I understood that an entry level unit was what I purchased, which meant it didn't have all the fancy things found on more expensive coaches, but I expected the build to done to a quality level to assure things don't fall off while driving down the road. Slide cables don't come unscrewed. If the front shade was to have a reset button it should have been installed. The entry steps were only attached with one fastener. The refrigerator front panels would have been cut to the correct length so they didn't fall down. That the AC system would be configured to actually be able to cool the coach in warm weather and the list goes on.

Most definitely some serious lack of engineering in the design and poor quality in the build.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #16

Supply Chain SME

I am a Supply Chain 'Expert', been at it for over 40 years, I wrote Travis and told him I would be glad to review FR processes and procedures for 'free', they just have to pay my room and board (I am cheap), they are NOT so big as to think there is not a resolution whereas everyone 'wins', the Company, the Customer, more importantly, the BRAND. The review would not take long, week or two, warranty processing is not 'rocket science', but like a previous poster stated, Customer Service is a 'Goal', not a focus, over a short time, the Brand will be diminished, they will 'wonder' what happened, when it is staring them in the face, then they will 're-brand'. From what I have read and understand, most RVer's buy more than once, maybe up to 3 times over the time they are in the market.

I know I sound cocky, but I know what I know, I have 'fixed' many a department over my 40+ years working in Supply Chain, if FR wants to take me up on it, they can contact me, I will do it for 'free', if they find value in the resolution, they can reward me, if not, they are where they are.
US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
bigduke1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #17

I honestly think it's a quality control problem at factory.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #18

My latest saga :
After having my second time that my FR3 has been sitting at a dealership for 4 weeks. 8 Weeks total. With same issues.
I was told by Travis Bird I had Authorization, just tell Akron, Ohio Camping World and have them contact him. Told Camping world this. Camping World told me they were waitning for someone from F.R. to contact them as they had a call in. Last week when I checked Camping World told me they have Authorizaton from F.R. but are now waiting for the part or Camera and will calll me when they get it ,and it is done.
This was last week. I called today and spoke with a differant person at Camping World. He said they do not have Authorization and they are waiting for F.R. to call them. Then they will order the part or camera and then fix. So I said basicily my unit has been there for a month now and nothing has been done. Toataly unexceptable. I told them I need to make an appointmnet to have the unit winterized. He set it up for October 12th and said we can fix the camera then. So my unit has set there for a month. While I have not been able to use it.
I have a phone call into Travis Bird but no call back yet. Would I buy another F.R. ? NO - would I buy and RV from Akron Camping World ? NO...
Feel totaly ripped off. No service what so ever. Poor product. Like someone else said I know this is an entry levil coach. But still expensive and should have better quality. If you can't make a quality product get out of Business. If you can't provide customer service , get out of Business. Anyone thinking about a purchase or service at Akron camping World : BEWARE !!!!!!!!!
philv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #19

Big Shell Game

This is a classic shell game, FR blames the Dealer, the Dealer blames FR, FR blames parts vendor, etc, every time you talk to someone, it is someone else fault, establishment of SLA's (Service Level Agreements) and robust communication; if you want to be an 'authorized' FR Dealer, you need to do X,Y,Z.....it is the FR Brand, they need to own it, the shell game, ping pong game they play is unacceptable, every member of the Service Team needs to be focused on serving the Customer, they bought the unit; it is Supply Chain, Communication, and Customer Service.....nothing else
US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
bigduke1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #20

Philv,

After experiencing similar issues with camping world in Akron, I talked with Travis Bird who gave me three other choices in the Cleveland area. I chose Neff Brothers in Lorain Ohio. they kept me informed and more importantly fixed the problems. The moral is you have choices for warranty repair. Actually where you take it for warranty repair is your choice.
Albert1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, repairs, warranty