Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
Branchman

Waste drain position

We are on our about our 8th trip in our 30Ds.

Although we have had many of the sane problems as are posted in this forum, overall we are pleased.

My biggest gripe is about the position of the waste drain!

We have not stayed anywhere where the sewer drain at the site is not higher than the waste pipe on the FR 3!

I generally have to lift the drain hose to empty. At some point I fear this will have disastrous
Results!

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

RV on!
Branchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #2

I have the same drain troubles on my mini lite 2502s. Just had to snake the drain hose this weekend. Lots of times I go to the dump station rather than the site sewer. Dump stations always seem to work better.
pvillebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #3

That was the first thing I changed on my 30DS. We eliminated the pipe, installed a macerator system in the waste/water bay, and now have a small hose that will pump up hill! No more hitting the pipe on the pavement on mild inclines. The hose is the size of a garden hose, so it takes a little longer to dump, but it has been the best upgrade we've made.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #4

Spicyrv,
Do you have any photos of your macerator install? The low hanging sewer pipe is one of my biggest concerns with the FR3.
Jimchan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

I'll try to get a picture for you today or tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #6

I saw something like that advertised on the Camping World website. Called it the 'sewer solution' or something like that. I've been considering getting one.

Barbara
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #7

Macerator

Here you go, Barbara. The system is called Sani-Con. A friend that has been RVing in high-end coaches has been using this system for about 10 years. He met the inventor and has had the system install in three rigs. Never a problem. I've had it for over a year without issue. It takes longer to purge the system and it'a a little noisy when operating (when you're dumping the system), but it will pump up hill.

There's no pipe under the motorhome. That's gone. The unit is small and installed in the same basement compartment that the sewer connection is housed. The hose for dumping is only 1" in diameter. This was one of the best purchases I made for our coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Macerator 1.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	61104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Macerator 2.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	61105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Macerator 3.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	61106  
Old 08-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #8

Macerator pumps are great until they fail.

You would always want a redundant system to fall back on.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #9

I agree with Branchman that you should have a backup - and the Sani-Con accounts for that. Should the unit break, you can attach the "regular" gravity hose and it will work as it was set up originally. I always keep one in the coach as the motto of RVers should be the same as Boyscouts: Always prepared!

That said, before making the purchase (of either the Sani-Con or the Motorhome) I did my research. Nearly all failures of macerators are due to putting the wrong things down the toilet. No sanitary items, nothing hard that would bind up the system. When reading posts about the Sani-Con system, every failure posted was caused by the owner doing something they shouldn't. That, and my friend's decade-long experience (and my year-long experience) without failure leads me to believe it's a quality system.

Of the potential system failures of the FR3, it is at the bottom of the list. I'm far more concerned about the stairs breaking, windshield leaking and slide outs breaking.

It's certainly your call, but gravity rules and things don't flow uphill.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

Interesting. The one I saw advertised on the Camping World website was called the sewer solution and attached on the outside to the existing sewer pipe, so doesn't solve the problem of the pipe scraping bottom at times (happened to me when I was pulling out of an awkward site). I'll check out the Sani-Con. May put it on my RV wish list.

Barbara
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branchman View Post
We are on our about our 8th trip in our 30Ds.

Although we have had many of the sane problems as are posted in this forum, overall we are pleased.

My biggest gripe is about the position of the waste drain!

We have not stayed anywhere where the sewer drain at the site is not higher than the waste pipe on the FR 3!

I generally have to lift the drain hose to empty. At some point I fear this will have disastrous
Results!

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

RV on!
How much difference in height?
I have not encountered that problem yet. Do you put pads under your jacks?
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #12

Jacks down on auto, no jack pads on level driveway gives me 10.5 inches. What height did you need it to be?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1408823854420.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	61296  
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #13

My sewer pipe scraped all the time, too. Every time I entered or left my driveway I could hear it grinding against the cement. Didn't matter what angle I had the coach at, it still hit the ground. The Sani-Con solved that problem immediately. Good luck, Barbara.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #14

SpiceyRV

Ive looked at my drain pipes in the compartment and there is little pipe space to cut out the drain and glue a male connector inside the panel to feed the macerator. . Who actually did the pluming for you? My fittings are so tightly glued (not enuf str8t pipe) there's no space to
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
Branchman

I do not use jack pads but thanks for the idea, that may resolve the issue.
Branchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
SpiceyRV

Ive looked at my drain pipes in the compartment and there is little pipe space to cut out the drain and glue a male connector inside the panel to feed the macerator. . Who actually did the pluming for you? My fittings are so tightly glued (not enuf str8t pipe) there's no space to

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1414426631.126972.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	65411Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1414426646.900419.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	65412

Simply not enough room to cut the base of the black water and brown water union and add a right angle male twist on inside the compartment. Unless you were able to unbolt the t pull valves on the left and right and turn them facing outward, but unfortunately they are not square.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain