Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Water Heater

I pulled drain plug on 2018 FR3 30DS to drain calcium deposits (Calif heavy water) in tank. They clog my faucets and more importantly the filter screen on toilet valve.
Question one: Suggestion on how to flush out calcium crap on bottom of water heater tank? I stuck my finger in there and feels like 1/4 inch of sand on bottom of tank.
Question two: Once I'm done, how do I refill WH tank? Turn on water pump and open hot water faucet? How do I know once the WH is full?
I don't want to run heat to WH until I refill it so I don't fry any heating element.
Clamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamper View Post
I pulled drain plug on 2018 FR3 30DS to drain calcium deposits (Calif heavy water) in tank. They clog my faucets and more importantly the filter screen on toilet valve.
Question one: Suggestion on how to flush out calcium crap on bottom of water heater tank? I stuck my finger in there and feels like 1/4 inch of sand on bottom of tank.
Question two: Once I'm done, how do I refill WH tank? Turn on water pump and open hot water faucet? How do I know once the WH is full?
I don't want to run heat to WH until I refill it so I don't fry any heating element.
to flush go to HD, lowes. WW and buy a firehose nosel for your garden hose. remove the anode rod or plug and fluse away. Stand off the the side.

As for fill, turn on your water supply, be sure your heater is not bypassed. Open the pressure relief valve untill the air stops and the water is coming out.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Site Team

This works pretty well to flush out the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-.../dp/B002XL2IBS

Refilling it is as simple as connecting a hose to your city water connection and turning it on.

Make sure your heater is not bypassed of course.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #4

Thank you!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #5

Do I use City Water or Fresh Water ( I have both on coach) or does it matter? How do I know when WH if full?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Do I use City Water or Fresh Water ( I have both on coach) or does it matter? How do I know when WH if full?
Water is water. As I stated in post #2. If cleaning, Be sure your WH is in bypass. You don't want that grud getting into your piping system. Turn off the electric switch. I would flush with city water. Use the fire hose nozzel.

To fill. Replace the plug or anode. Open the pressure reliefe valve. Turn the water on. When the water comes out of the pressure reliefe close the valve.

Now take the WH out of bypass. Turn the electric back on.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
The calcium should not be clogging your toilet unless you've been draining your plumbing system before you drain your water heater. You should close the inlet/outlet valves on your water heater before you drain your plumbing system. If you don't, you pull the calcium backwards from your water heater into the cold water supply line. THEN it can get to the toilet.

If you have been draining properly, then I'm guessing you have something other than calcium in your toilet valve.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Assume you are referring to the connections on the side of your RV. Fresh Water is your water tank and city water is a direct connection to public water. If there is no water in your FW tank, use city water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

to fill just turn on your water supply and a hot water faucet inside . do not use the T&P valve . they make flush valves for the hot water tanks the will thread onto your hose and has a 1/4 line you can stick into your drain or anode opening . look up camco water heater rinser cleaner $7.74 on amazon. I made my own with 1/4 copper
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater