Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Water heater

After one year of use of my FR3 30, I have changed the anode rod and flushed out the water heater tank. $20.00 investment for a new aluminum anode rod and a reusable flush out tool. By the looks of the anode rod, I believe I will now change it out and flush the tank every 6 months. Spent about 150 nights in the coach this first year.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434157253.283061.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	79766Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434157268.214919.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	79767

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 AM   #2

What's the purpose of that rod anyway?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
USS Seattle (AOE-3) 84-88 Wayne
US Army 06-15 Sherry
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:47 AM   #3

Where did you get your replacement rod from? Are the threads all the same? I understand the rod attracts junk to it keeping the heating parts of the heater clean, I see them on Amazon but what one to order?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
USS Seattle (AOE-3) 84-88 Wayne
US Army 06-15 Sherry
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:40 AM   #4

Wayne & Sherry,you need to read your (Suburban W/H Manual). The A-Rod is a (Sacrificial/Replacable) part! The one pictured is about (50%-Life). Proper Maintenance of your (Suburban W/H) will provide (Long Life)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
What's the purpose of that rod anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
Where did you get your replacement rod from? Are the threads all the same? I understand the rod attracts junk to it keeping the heating parts of the heater clean, I see them on Amazon but what one to order?
Airxcel | Suburban Manufacturing Service

Are all water heaters equipped with an Anode Rod? What is its function? When should it be changed?

Only Suburban water heaters feature an anode rod. The anode equalizes aggressive water action, providing cathodic protection for the tank. It is a very important factor in tank life and should only be removed for inspection, draining or replacement. It is removeable using a 1-1/16" thin wall socket.

All Suburban water heaters are protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to prolong the life of the tank. Under normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate. Because of this, we recommend it be replaced annually or when consumption or weight loss of the rod is greater than 75%. Note: Water with high levels of iron and/or sulfate will increase the rate of deterioration. To extend anode life, drain water from tank whenever the RV is not being used. Avoid any extended time of non-use with water in the tank.

--------------------------------------------------

Only the Suburban water heater, with it's porcelain lined steel tank, utilize the anode rod..which sacrifices itself so the tank won't rust. If you have an aluminum Atwood brand water heater, you don't need an anode rod.

They make two different anode rods. One made from magnesium and the other is aluminum. The standard OE magnesium one sacrifices itself faster and offers better protection. However, if you are in water areas where the magnesium rod is corroding too fast (less than a year) you may want to consider an aluminum rod.

Part # 232767 for the magnesium and # 232768 for the aluminum. Aftermarket rods should show what part number it replaces.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

This is the one I use Wayne. Perfect fit and function for our water heater tanks. I ordered from Walmart.com.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434383328.190839.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	79996

Old 06-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Marie and JOhn

Make sure to only use an anode rod in a suburban tank. Some people think an anode rod is a great idea for any tank and it isn't. Atwood Water heaters (with a plastic plug vs an anode rod is made of aluminum and coated with ceramic. The metal threads of an anode rod will fuse to the aluminum theads of an atwood tank and then you are in trouble.
lmsafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
After one year of use of my FR3 30, I have changed the anode rod and flushed out the water heater tank. $20.00 investment for a new aluminum anode rod and a reusable flush out tool. By the looks of the anode rod, I believe I will now change it out and flush the tank every 6 months. Spent about 150 nights in the coach this first year.Attachment 79766Attachment 79767

That rod doesn't actually look all that bad. There's still some life left in it.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

A little bit of life left in it Iwritecode. Huge amount of debris flowed out of tank when I flushed it.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 PM   #10

How do you flush the hot water tank?
maurerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #11

You must remove the anode rod from the bottom of the tank by unscrewing it with a socket. Then insert the hot water tank cleaning tool attached to a water hose into the opening and spray it out moving the cleaning tool around. All of the sediment is on the bottom of the tank so aiming the tip of the tool towards the bottom of the tank is the way to go. The sediment and water will flow out. You need to continue spraying until you get no more sediment flowing out.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #12

You can get a cleaning tool from Walmart, Amazon, Camping World or any RV parts house. They are about $7-$8.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1436246739.590947.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	82250

Tags
heater, water, water heater