Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 28
Water heater question

Anybody know what the red light to the right of the water heater switch means? When I turn on my water heater, the light illuminates briefly then turns off. It still takes time after that for the water to actually heat up though. So I'm wondering what exactly that light is telling me.
__________________

__________________
boozedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Conway, AR
Posts: 1,750
DSI/FLT light. (Direct Spark Ignition/Fault). It comes on when the heater is trying to light the propane. If it tries 3 times (usually) and fails, the FLT light stays on red. If it tries and succeeds, meaning the heater is lit and all is good to go, then the red light goes off.
__________________

__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 11,454
It's as BandJCarm described. Now, depending on what switch/panel you have the red light may actually say RESET instead of Fault(Flt). It means the same though.

This FAQ may help explain it better, especially if you have the Suburban brand water heater.

Suburban's electric switch and much more
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I just threw some salt over my shoulder for good luck. Ended up smashing a mirror with the salt shaker.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
DSI/FLT light. (Direct Spark Ignition/Fault). It comes on when the heater is trying to light the propane. If it tries 3 times (usually) and fails, the FLT light stays on red. If it tries and succeeds, meaning the heater is lit and all is good to go, then the red light goes off.
Thanks for your response! Is this something that I should have been able to find in the owner's manual someplace? I looked it over and it's extremely vague ...
__________________
boozedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 11,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozedog View Post
Thanks for your response! Is this something that I should have been able to find in the owner's manual someplace? I looked it over and it's extremely vague ...
Yep, you are learning that dealers and the owners manual are not the best at this. This is why we have such a detailed FAQ (for the Suburban brand) which I provided the link in my previous post above.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I just threw some salt over my shoulder for good luck. Ended up smashing a mirror with the salt shaker.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Yep, you are learning that dealers and the owners manual are not the best at this. This is why we have such a detailed FAQ (for the Suburban brand) which I provided the link in my previous post above.
Yeah the FRF website is really a great resource! Thanks very much for the link to the FAQ.
__________________
boozedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 10,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozedog View Post
Thanks for your response! Is this something that I should have been able to find in the owner's manual someplace? I looked it over and it's extremely vague ...
Should've been something that the dealer went over during the PDI, as that is a basic feature.
But that means that your dealer would've been competent.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING
 
drivmsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 564
If I'm not able to find a manual for whatever device, I'll go on the mfg. website, enter the model# and I'm more often than not, able to download the owner/user manual.
__________________
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
If I'm not able to find a manual for whatever device, I'll go on the mfg. website, enter the model# and I'm more often than not, able to download the owner/user manual.
Good idea ... sort of compile your own owner's manual. I'll give that a try. Need to go all over the vehicle and get all the part numbers this winter
__________________
2015 FR3 28DS
boozedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Member
 
PeteAndEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozedog View Post
Good idea ... sort of compile your own owner's manual. I'll give that a try. Need to go all over the vehicle and get all the part numbers this winter
Hmmm, that might be a good idea for a thread here - one just for owner's manuals... (unless that runs into copyright issues)...
__________________

__________________
FR3 2015 30DS
PeteAndEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.