Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

What is this for????

I know this will be a stupid question, and I will get my head handed to me, but what is this? I know the button next to it controls the antenna, but why is there a cable connection in the spot where it's at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180116_101714.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	160304   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180116_101904.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	160305  
Scott220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Always Learning

I have that same thing on my fifth wheel (so apologies if it doesn't match your FR3) and it allows me to connect to campground cable. There's a connector on the outside of the camper that I would connect cable to.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #3

Thank you. I too have a cable connection out in one of the storage containers and thats the cable connection I use. It just baffles me why this one is here? would you have to run it through a window? LOL.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Antenna AMP!

When you use the roof mounted TV antenna, you push the button to turn on the amplifier for roof mounted antenna. A cable attaches to the connection and to the TV antenna connection.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #5

Ok thanks for the response, appreciate it, but once you plugged in the cable to the picture I have shown...where would the end end connect to?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott220 View Post
Thank you. I too have a cable connection out in one of the storage containers and thats the cable connection I use. It just baffles me why this one is here? would you have to run it through a window? LOL.
Hmmm.. maybe it's just a generic switch for enabling the antenna? Have you unscrewed it to see if there's a cable on the back-side?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #7

This specific outlet/switch has two inputs (cable or powered antenna) and two outputs. One output is in the back and connects to your TV(s), the other in the front could be used for an additional TV. There's probably a TV close by already so it's merely used for switching between cable and OTA.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
This specific outlet/switch has two inputs (cable or powered antenna) and two outputs. One output is in the back and connects to your TV(s), the other in the front could be used for an additional TV. There's probably a TV close by already so it's merely used for switching between cable and OTA.
X2 I just went through this!
Old 01-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #9

Also that tiny button next to it .. controls the power to the antanee that is in the bedroom roof
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
HDU

Scott, if you look at the rear of your TV, you should find the same connector as the one you have circled in the pic. You connect the two (the one that you circled and the one on the rear of your tv) via a length of coaxial cable that has a female mating connector on each end. This connection will supply your TV with local stations that your onboard antenna can catch. Be sure to push in the tiny black button, usually a green LED light will illuminate indicating that the amplifier for your antenna is powered up.
HDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #11

I have a Rockwood and also have an outside jack for a cable connection and also have the inside jack. I don't have to use the inside jack for cable. I have a splitter inside the wall that automatically uses the cable infeed and I must not have the antenna booster button pushed in. I wouldn't think you have to use that interior jack. I have several interior jacks and have asked several times what they are used for. After a couple convoluted sentences I got lost and decided that I would never need to use them and didn't need to understand them. I have too much useless info in my head already and I'm not losing it fast enough to make room for more!
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #12
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
When you use the roof mounted TV antenna, you push the button to turn on the amplifier for roof mounted antenna. A cable attaches to the connection and to the TV antenna connection.
That is exactly what it is, the switch for the antenna 'masthead' amplifier, a regular feature in FR vehicles. You can leave it on, unless the little red led bothers you, then you have to remember to turn it on when watching off-air programs.

I put the device name in quotes because it is typically mounted somewhere behind panels, in the roof space, under the floor, who knows where. These things are designed for and work best when mounted at the top of the antenna mast, at the very beginning of the cable run, yet they never are.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #13

See if this pic and my not-so-great explanation helps:

With the little button pushed in (and usually a green or red LED lit), the antenna amplifier (located in your TV antenna) is turned on and over the air signals are routed from the TV antenna to the connection next to the button in your pic (mark Set 1 in the pic above), which hopefully you have connected to the back of your TV with a short piece of coaxial cable. If you have another TV (say in a bedroom or an outdoor TV connection), there should be another faceplate with a coaxial cable connection there (without a button) that you would connect to your 2nd TV with a short piece of coaxial cable. That faceplate is connected back to the first one (to the the coax connection marked Set 2 (behind the wall) by a coax cable buried in your wall somewhere. If you don't have a 2nd TV setup, the connection marked Set 2 won't have anything connected to it. Usually the "outdoor receptacle WA-1010" for the campgrounds cable connection is on the street side of your rig along with the water and electrical and sewer connections. If you have an outdoor TV connection, that's usually on the curb side, either outside with a TV mount and 110VAC outlet nearby OR inside a cabinet that you open up to reveal the TV.

If you push the button to turn the amp off (and the LED light goes out), the box then routes any signal you may have coming from the outdoor receptacle to the Set 1 and Set 2 connection INSTEAD of the antenna signal. Of course, you need to connect the outdoor receptacle to the campground's cable system with another piece of coaxial cable.

To summarize:
Connect your TV to the faceplate in your pic.
Connect 2nd TV to faceplate in bedroom or curbside of rig.
Connect campground cable system to outdoor receptacle on street side of rig.
Button ON, antenna signal routed to your TV(s).
Button OFF, campground cable signal routed to your TV(s).

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
See if this pic and my not-so-great explanation helps:
Thanks so much. You really have a knack for explaining all this stuff. I was wondering why I couldn't get my park cable to work. I have stayed at a park twice with cable hookup and I could only get snowy pictures if anything at all. Nobody explained to me about the "button". I'm anxious to try it out on my next trip.

I planned on tracing out the coax and look for a splitter and a loose connection...now this explains it. It was on the bottom of my to-do list since TV is just not that important to us.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

rockfordroo's post explains things extremely well. Except if you have the same setup my TT has. The connection on the face of the power injector plate is not used. The coax comes from set 2 connection to a splitter, this splitter is connected to another splitter. The other connection from the first splitter has a cable that goes up the wall about a foot and into another panel then to a hole in the wall behind my tv along with the HDMI from the DVD. A short coax connects to the tv. On the second splitter one cable goes to the bedroom tv, the other cable then goes to the outdoor connection for the external tv. Pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna connections.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	160372  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #16

Scrapper: Looking at a pic of your unit online, is your power plate located in that space below the TV and to the right of the radio?

If so, I'm wondering if the intent was to allow you to locate a VCR/DVD player in that space and hook up it's output connection to the power plate connection and feed it's signal BACKWARDS (so to speak) to your TV's??? (Even if that wasn't the intent, you could probably still do it.)

Old 01-24-2018, 11:06 PM   #17

Why won’t the back tv work as the two front TVs...is there a switch I am missing or do I have to run a coaxial cable with a splitter?
lazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazbo View Post
Why won’t the back tv work as the two front TVs...is there a switch I am missing or do I have to run a coaxial cable with a splitter?
If the posts above haven't helped you, I would suggest you post the make/model/year of your rig and maybe someone with the same one can help you.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If the posts above haven't helped you, I would suggest you post the make/model/year of your rig and maybe someone with the same one can help you.

It’s a fr3 30ds 2016....just curious why I am not getting anything to the back tv from the antenna or cable feed
lazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #20

You should get the same signal to the rear TV as you do to the front and outside, except for DVD playing. DVD is not connected to the rear.
CC Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote