Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

What to expect from new FR3

We were supposed to pick up our brand new 2016 FR3, 30DS on Saturday and we found some issues we want fixed before we take delivery.

This is our first brand new RV and just expected it would be washed and detailed like a new car. Maybe this is the wrong expectation?

The coach was not washed and i thought the interior could be a bit cleaner.

Should i be lowering my expectations?
Urban_FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
WDW

Washed, waxed and the tanks filled. One non in Buffalo FR dealer stocks the fridge with water, soda, beer and snacks. A very classy touch.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
AD2

Our new 28DS exterior was washed, windshield was spot less, tires shined up, water tank sanitized and filled, gas tank full, interior was cleaned but still had construction debris in cabinets etc. The storage lockers however were full and I mean full of construction debris. All in all it was still acceptable and I think the dealer made an honest effort. Just be aware the sawdust, plastic shavings, lost screws and other construction debris will filter its way into places once you start driving the unit. I will admit we are in Illinois where the State takes great pride in the roughest and most potholed roads in America.

My opinion is you should not lower your expectations, the dealer should exceed them. If they don't, do not accept delivery until they do.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #4

We recently took delivery of a 2016 25DS . Everything was spotless . The dealer had us fill out a form to rate their cleaning staffs performance. That plus a starter kit and 40 gallons of gas was a nice surprise. They also had a tech spend as long as we wanted to go over the unit.
Grumpy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #5

We picked up our 30DS a little over a month ago after spending the night in it at the dealership so that we could check it out. We did not know what all to check and on our first outing we paid for it. I would surest that at the very least you operate every major system several times to not only ensure that they work but that you understand their operation. We discovered that our dash AC did not work, hole in refrigerant line. Got to Angle Fire and had our heating system go out. Make sure you have alternate heating, we had an electric heater that helped somewhat. We got stuck in Lubbock, Texas with our hydraulic jacks in the down position and they would not retract. Of all of this I would stress having the dealer school you in the use of the leveling system until you are confident in its use. Understand, if the jacks will not retract you will need help to get them back up. We will shortly be taking our unit to the dealer for warranty work. Knowledge is key - educate yourself and then have fun.
LDStaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

Ours was so disgusting I ended up writing a strongly worded letter to Mike Thompson RV in Fountain Valley, CA. It's not something I so on a regular basis or ever really, but it showed such a lack of pride and care it was apalling. We only took delivery because our 16yr old non-verbal son with a brain disorder was with us and it would have broke his heart. That and the delivery is a long story, but once the corrected, we now take it elsewhere for any work. I had to mop the floor 3 times to get it clean. It made me want to offer my services free to anyone taking delivery from that location. Anyway, do not lower your expectations. I ultimately sent a copy of my letter to the FR Warranty manager at his request last month.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #7

Grump Guy, what you describe sounds like the folks over at MHSRV. Great bunch of folks that are willing to answer any question you have but I did not know then what I do now or I would have asked! Ha.
LDStaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

My dealer..Al's Trailer Sales in Salem Oregon was great! Full tanks of everything and very clean... They answered all my questions and helped me through many issues.
So far the only problem I had that should have been taken care of from the dealer, was the "P-traps" in the bathroom of our 30DS were loose and when we used the sink, a lot of water went on the floor under the sink... I fixed them up and all is good.
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #9

My dealer was as cheap as they come. He would not fill the gas tank. I had to pay $25 for the sewer hose he would throw in.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #10

Wow. We were very lucky I guess. We bought our m/h used from RV Direct in Ottawa Ontario. It had 25k miles and was lightly used but came absolutely spotless inside and out. All tanks filled and ready to go. We have been very pleased with it.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #11

Total Value RV in Elkhart gives you a spotless unit, full LPG, gas tank, and a giant fruit basket from the sales department. Unlimited time with the PDI tech who was outstanding.Everything tested and explained operation in detail. Researching a dealer is as important as researching the rig. Really great dealer in all areas.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
nosaint3

Washed, waxed and the tanks filled. One non in Buffalo FR dealer stocks the fridge with water, soda, beer and snacks. A very classy touch. WDW post

My Trilogy dealer filled my Frigidair refrigerator with water when I hooked up at the campsite but it was because of a hole in the ice maker line they din't fix.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #13

Antone, I picked up my FR3 30DS from Mike Thompson/Fountain Valley in March 2015 and it was in excellent condition, clean and filled with gas and lp, so It seems they are hit and miss with their prep there. I have not been happy with their warranty service and have had my non warranty work done elsewhere.
jimcarterhb1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:19 AM   #14

I could only wish. We had 3/4 LP, missing lug nut covers, no remotes or manuals, a crack on the body, and a disgustly dirty interior despite two weeks time between final sale and delivery. Ours is a very long story and ultimately I think we were decieved by the salesperson who may no longer be there. The GM and finance guys made right, but it just should never have gone down the way it did. It was a classic bait and switch and when you have a vulnerable, non-verbal disabled child at your side through the process whose excitement and joy at the prospect of a new RV is obvious, it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. Long story. Anyway, I do highly recommend MTRV in Santa Fe Springs for coach warranty work and Fairway Ford RV in Placentia for chassis warranty and non-warranty work. My son is a character barometer and they pass. Nothing but great service and communication. I wouldn't go back to FV MTRV for toilet paper even if I was out and desperate, IMHO. Though they made right as promised, it was that bad and took to long to make right.
I digress. I do love my FR3 and wish everyone happy trails!

Antone
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445581179.445167.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	92558

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #15

Picked up our 28DS from MTRV Colton on Sept 30th and it had a full tank of gas, 3/4 LP (which they said is all that could go in there for for first fill up). What we have found so far that doesn't work...Blinds in bedroom don't stay up, windows up front won't lock, door latch/lock is already sticking and my biggest issue and the bait and switch item is the couch doesn't have the jackknife couch as the one we were shown. The ability to fold out the couch was one of the reason we bought this into. Our first outing we ended up having to sleep people on floor. But with the help of @fr3eric we have found out that we indeed don't have the jackknife couch and the unit they changed us to "to make the deal" wasn't the same all around like the 2016 28ds we were shown. With the help of FR3eric and a few not nice emails we seem to have the attention of the dealer (I received two calls this morning after my phones calls and text and emails being ignored for 16days) but must wait because it's month end and they sold 400+ units at the RV shows and need to get them completed. I was appalled by this comment as I think they should take care of their current customer just as good so they come back later for either sales or service but we will see I haven't heard back from them since this morning as I was assured I would. Even though I did what they asked right away and sent photos of the wrong couch. I really appreciate Fr3eric as he doesn't California but has got me in touch with the rep that does to help put the pressure on MTRV Colton to make all this right.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2016 FR3 28DS
Old 10-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #16

We did pick it up last night from Campers Inn Philadelphia and i can say that the dealer did step up their game since our initial visit. It had been washed and detailed, gas tank and propane tank full. After reading some of the experiences, i guess mine wasn't all that bad
Urban_FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote