Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
Motoring

wheel balance

RV World said the biggest problem with my FR3 suspension and handling is the wheels are out of balance.

he doesn't do balancing. i have to go to a Ford shop

Anyone had to rebalance tires on new FR3?

Steve

Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #2

I did. My 2014 FR3 would hit a certain speed and the front end would start to shake violenly. They took it to a truck shop that deals with chassis probelsm etc. They found the left front tire out of balance. They balanced it correctly. The right front tire was out of balance as well. They were unable to get the tire in a proper balance range so Goodyear replaced the tire. The tire was balanced and the unit drives much better. I had less then 1500 miles at the time.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #3

I had the Goodyear steering tires with a set of Michelin motor home tires and my truck suspension shop used Dyna Beads for the balance. They haven't used the traditional computer spin balance for years.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

Should say replaced with the Michelin tiresClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1439481773.439013.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	85518. Rides so smooth at any speed.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

I am not sure if my tires were balanced in the traditional weight way or with the Dyna Beads. I did not know anything about these beads until way after the fact when someone told me about them. The dealership took it to the tire place so I only spoke with the guy on the phone and he just said he balanced them. Not how. I will have to look and see if I can find any weights on the tire. But seems to ride a little better. With new tire and balance.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

I just installed a set of Centramatic wheel balancers on our 30DS. Haven't taken a turn around the block, but in about 3 weeks, we'll be heading up to Toronto, Ontario. So that should give us a good feel on some improvement. I did recently have an alignment and the front steer tires computer balanced too. Still feels like they could ride a little smoother, and if it saves a little tread life, then great!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #7
Motoring

Thanks for letting me know about the beads. I'll look into it for certain!!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #8

Your very welcome grotto69.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #9

Mine were out of balance from day one. The selling dealer FreedomRV Liberty Lake Wa sent it out for balance. Found one tire that would not balance. Goodyear replaced. Still was not right and took it back. After three weeks they said it was rebalanced, but the tires and weights were still dirty and, you guessed it out of balance. Took it to Les Schwab and they found five of six were still way out of balance some by 3 oz. the sixth tire the rim had a inch out of round. Now the story gets good, these rims are special everyone. Only used on Fords. You will find 19.5 x 6.75, they have to have RW at the end or they will not clear the calipers. Then the bore is special at 170.1 mm. Accuride discontinued them and besides Ford only one other maker. The other guy only makes them when they have enough orders so normal lead time can be 15 to 26 weeks.

Forest River said Ford problem, Ford said FR and denied the claim. So 4000 miles of which 2000 were for delivery, no damage on the rim and i get to buy a new one. Ford did cut me a deal and will only charge me 555.00 for a new one. FR gave me the number for Ford Fleet, but because I am Joe Citizen, no deal.

Think I will send the bill to Mark Fields. Moral of the Story don't drive it off the lot until everything is perfect.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1barnes View Post
Moral of the Story don't drive it off the lot until everything is perfect.
Actually DON'T sign papers until it is perfect.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel