Old 11-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Wheelbase to length ratios on FR3 models

People say this is a big factor in quality of the driving experience. And to look for over a 50% ratio in this. Of the fr3 models, the 32ds has best ratio, followed by the 28ds. The others are all below 50%. I did math earlier, if I recall correctly the 32ds was 56% and 28ds was 53%. The others came in at 49%. Am I right to consider this in buying decision? The ratio truly is an indicator of drive quality?

Old 11-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

We have a 30DS and I would think the 28DS/32DS would drive better with less overhang on the back. Though I've never driven an RV other than our 30DS. You definitely need to be cautious about the rear swing when around gas pumps or other tight areas.

Another thing I could add is that I bet the weight distribution is better on the 28DS/32DS than the 30DS. I've scaled out a dozen times, and you really need empty black/grey tanks with 1/2 fresh water to stay below GAWR with full fuel. Our front axle is always great and I just wish I could transfer some weight forward. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #3

Interesting, thanks for reply. I like the 30 floor plan the best, and also was digging the compact nature and floor plan of the 25. Might have to think further on this. I suppose test driving would be a good call also.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #4

We were always told to pick on the floor plan first and foremost. I don't know your situation, but its nice to have the king bed functional without moving the slide. Some times when we stop at rest areas/truck stops, when you really can't/don't want to leave the slides extended, its nice to have full use of the king size bed. Even driving down the road, one can sleep in the bed. But I do wish we had two AC units along with the 5KW gen. Oh well, we still like our 30DS. Glad we didn't give up the sofa either by going down to the 25DS. Tough choices, but good luck with your decision.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

A very interesting test you can do with your own combination is, in a large parking lot (gravel lot is easier to see results). From a straight in line stopped position, mark your wheel locations on the ground. Slowly pull forward turning with a full locked turn and see just how far inside the trailer wheels go compaired to the TV wheel locations.

This will also provide you the chance to witnesss the rear end swing as you pivot around the turning point. I'd do the process in both directions to you can register in your mind both side of your rig in the mirrors.

Where I work our crews drive 14 passenger vans with 25 Ft utility trailers, and this is a very educational way to learn vehicle placement skills.

You and your co-pilot should take turns the get familiar with the experience.

Good luck and happy camping.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #6

Good advice! I've heard people say it's like driving a pickup truck, forget about the rear end.
To me, it's important to realize that the rear tires on the TV and the trailer tires all form an arc much
tighter than the steer tires. Not allowing for that smaller arc will put you up on the sidewalk or worse.
Turning a corner in a semi truck requires 4 lanes!

Sun seeker 2009 2600 Ford V10
Old 11-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #7

Cabbage, I am not really understanding what the "driving experience " is that you are in search of. Is it smoothness of ride ? Is it yaw of the vehicle ? Is it cornering G force? Is it 0 to 60? How it tracks when it tows a trailer? Whether it can withstand the buffeting wake of an 18 wheeler at 80 mph? There are many trade offs between any 16,000lbs + vehicle and what may be your daily driver at about 3,000lbs
Old 11-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #8

It's the lack of a death wobble, it's not having a wandering steering wheel, it's not being blown around by trucks, it's no white knuckling, and it's the ability to drive a few hundred miles and not feel like I have just survived WW3. :-)
Old 11-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #9

This is what I seen...
Old 11-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

"seek"

Tags
wheel, modifications