Old 06-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
Thanks all, appreciate all posts. Dumb tech question, ok to change oil without changing filter? I would not make it a habit, but to get at least an oil change on the road is this ok?

linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
Yes, you can change the oil and not change the filter, but I'd suggest not running the new oil with the old filter as long as your normal interval. As my recent oil analysis showed, the oil, especially full synthetic, can go longer than the 5,000 miles I usually run. Years ago carmakers recommended changing oil and filter at certain intervals and had different recommended interval for changing the oil but not the filter every other time. When Mobil 1 first came out they advertised you could run longer change intervals than conventional oil.

I changed mine once when we were on a long trip. I put the used oil in jugs with screw caps, put the filter in a zip lock bag, and placed them along with the dirty pan in a big plastic bag. I disposed of everything properly when I got home.

Here's a thought. To get an idea about whether or not you really need to change the filter, the next time you change it, cut open the filter. How much crud is in it? If it has plenty of filter capacity left, you should be fine to skip a filter change. If it's pretty much full, don't risk it.

2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #13
I wouldn't hesitate doing it. I was concerned that last trip we did by going over the 5k interval, hence I sent in for an oil analysis when we were done. Now that I know the Mobil 1 can handle the abuse of towing and going over some mountains, I won't be so worried my next trip if we happen to go over the 5k again. Fresh oil though is better than nothing, though I wouldn't go 10k on a single oil filter, more like 7.5-8k. JMO.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #14
Ford says 7500 miles for oil change on V10.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #15
We found a great little local gas station that does our oil changes in our area by looking at Yelp - RV oil change and through our Nextdoor App. We love Nextdoor, if you don't belong, download the App and ask away and you will get recommendations for all kinds of services in your local area.

Skgust is offline   Reply With Quote