Old 08-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem Hunters View Post
Which goes back to what I said eariler.....they are wired and plumbed "similarly", but NOT identically, which is why they don't publish an official plumbing or wiring diagram. This could all be avoided and reduce their problems with QC if FR insisted that the assembly line assembled all FR3 units the same. But because they don't, they really have no idea how any specific FR3 unit was wired or plumbed. Hence, the dealer is put in the middle and expected to trouble shoot and fix a problem that they didn't cause and may not even have the technical expertise to fix.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Gimmie a break - its a piece of Romex from the breaker to the AC and thermostat wire from the t-stat to the AC. They can troubleshoot it and determine if its the AC itself, the t-stat, the power going to it, or the wiring itself without a drawing. If they aren't competent to troubleshoot RV systems, they have no business being an RV service center.

This is no different than wiring in your house - and if you look at blueprints for a house, they show where appliances and outlets go, but they don't show the exact spot the plumber of electrician ran the drops through walls or between floors.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #62

Auntie nothing on all accounts! I'm caught in the middle with no where to go! So much for our retirement present!

Old 08-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #63

KMP-44 - Obviously it isn't that simple or the their RV wouldn't still be sitting there at the dealer for going on 3-weeks. And remember the Dealer has already tried swapping out the AC unit twice to no avail. Trouble shooting this kind of problem for a licensed electrician would be a cake walk, but I'll bet the farm that very very few RV Dealers employ a licensed electrician. Your typical RV employs "handymen" with varying degrees of skills and only the very basic of tools. Most of the people they employ wouldn't know what an Ohm meter was let alone know how to use one. I would also like to point out that re-wiring an AC unit on an RV is more challenging than doing the same job at your house. In an RV you don't have the luxury of running your new wiring in an attic and wood stud walls.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #64

Quote:
KMP-44 - Obviously it isn't that simple or the their RV wouldn't still be sitting there at the dealer for going on 3-weeks. And remember the Dealer has already tried swapping out the AC unit twice to no avail. Trouble shooting this kind of problem for a licensed electrician would be a cake walk, but I'll bet the farm that very very few RV Dealers employ a licensed electrician. Your typical RV employs "handymen" with varying degrees of skills and only the very basic of tools. Most of the people they employ wouldn't know what an Ohm meter was let alone know how to use one. I would also like to point out that re-wiring an AC unit on an RV is more challenging than doing the same job at your house. In an RV you don't have the luxury of running your new wiring in an attic and wood stud walls.

OK, so if the "handyman" doesn't know how to use a multi-meter, wth good is a diagram and how is this issue anything but incompetence on the part of the dealer?

For troubleshooting, you just lay a piece of wire across the floor and up to the AC. If it draws the same load and has the same problem then the wiring burried in the walls or ceiling isn't the problem. If they prove it is the problem, then its time to call the factory and get their input on how/where to run a new one.

I take my car to a mechanic because cars are complicated, require a lot of training to fix, and you frequently need special tools. My RV dealer gets $100 an hour for service. They better be trained professionals with the knowledge and the tools to fix my RV.

If I was the OP, I would be looking for a new service shop at this point. Its one thing if repairs take a long time, but in this case they can't even diagnose it. Paying for a new RV you can't use with no time table for a resolution is not acceptable. And dealers know what they are getting into when they agree to sell/service these things. They should know better than anybody what they are getting - either have trained, competent professionals our get out of the business.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Your typical RV employs "handymen" with varying degrees of skills and only the very basic of tools. Most of the people they employ wouldn't know what an Ohm meter was let alone know how to use one. I would also like to point out that re-wiring an AC unit on an RV is more challenging than doing the same job at your house. In an RV you don't have the luxury of running your new wiring in an attic and wood stud walls.

Actually from the outside, the RVIA is doing a good job of pushing certifications.
If I am correct about the dealership that the OP is referring to, in their marketing material (website) they have plenty of qualifications to deal with the issues.

RV Service Collision Center Little Dealer Little Prices Arizona RV Dealer

As a tech doing trouble shooting I can practically guarantee they started simple and they moved on to more complex sources of these issues. Any other way would waste time and since this is a warranty claim they are not likely to waste a second.

I think Auntie needs to move into the unit while it is being worked on... they'll really want to get it off the property once it becomes an inconvenience. (jus' kidding)

Ironically, one of the issues that the RV industry is facing is popularity and success. They can't keep up production with the staff they have so new trainees are coming in all the time. It should get better in a year or so but they are rushing to get caught up. Just my 2˘.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #66
Berkshire 390QS

Agree with many, get to another dealer. Ask FR for another dealer in your area to work on your unit.
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Gimmie a break - its a piece of Romex from the breaker to the AC and thermostat wire from the t-stat to the AC. They can troubleshoot it and determine if its the AC itself, the t-stat, the power going to it, or the wiring itself without a drawing. If they aren't competent to troubleshoot RV systems, they have no business being an RV service center.

This is no different than wiring in your house - and if you look at blueprints for a house, they show where appliances and outlets go, but they don't show the exact spot the plumber of electrician ran the drops through walls or between floors.
I have to agree. This is not a particularly complicated system we are talking about as KMP44 pointed out so well. I too question why this guy(s)/gal(s) is working is a service department if they cannot figure out simple connections. I am not saying to rebuild the circuit panel, thermostat, or A/C unit. just to make sure power is running to each and seeing what works and does not work. RV's are pretty simple that way. The factories basically use off the shelf products and just wire them into the RV.

But maybe I am missing something here.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #68
FR3 Division

I am on the forums and here to help you, remember you can PM me anytime. If your not getting the results you would like I strongly encourage you to get me involved or call our parts/service and warranty department at 574-206-7600. Great thing about the forums are we rarely get to hear compliments or victories when something is fixed or corrected. We are listening and we do care, so do not hesitate to contact me about the FR3 product...
Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #69
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

to you Michael Hums!
Old 08-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #70

X-2 above! Youroo!!

Tags
dealer, forest river