Old 08-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #71
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

"sabre owners united"

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #72
At last!!!!

We picked up the FR3 on Saturday afternoon and the dealer assured us that the AC had been running for several hours that day. It was certainly nice and cool inside. It took us about 30 minutes to get the RV to the storage place, and the AC ran the whole way so we are feeling good about the current repair work. It was over 100 degrees outside and relatively humid as well. We don't have plans to take it out again for several weeks to really challenge the system, but we both are confident that this ordeal is done.

I'm not 100% sure about how it was done, but here is what some of it sounded like to my ears. They hardwired the AC that was on the RV with a 10-something wire, and connected it to a dedicated 20 amp circuit. It was working fine.

Rather than try to rewire the entire RV, they took the suggestion of a friend of ours who has a luxury coach and who does a lot of his own improvements like LED lighting, and put the AC on a single 20 amp circuit rather than one that was shared as FR had done it. Our friend suggested that having the 2 operating circuits so close to each other could be generating extra heat that was causing the circuit to trip. There were 2 unused spaces for circuits. From what I understand this kind of work should have taken less than an hour and cost under $20.

Fingers crossed all of the kinks have been worked out and it's all fun from here. If you feel like you need a better explanation about what was done, send me a private message and I'll have my husband explain it to me again.

Again - thanks to everyone who contributed to this conversation, and I hope that our experience has been helpful to some of you. Now we get back to posting pictures of beautiful places and dogs having fun.

auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #73
Glad to hear it and happy travels!! Now get out there and see the sights!!

Shane & Antoinette
2012 Ford F-450 SuperDuty
2013 Crusader 355BHQ
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:02 AM   #74
Yes glad to hear things are getting better! I personally think that having the main 30amp breaker with the 20amp, ac sharing the same breaker leads to overheating as well
It should be a dedicated breaker all to itself!
2015 FR3 25DS
2014 Fiat 500 Sport The Toad
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #75
Wow is all I can say. The AC should have been on a single circuit to start with. I am wondering if this was a quality control issue where the assembler just did whatever to get it done rather than following the drawing.

It sounds to me the dealer did not have a competent tech and FR did not step up and just get it done. FR should have gave this more attention after the first round of BS.

For the dealer to say we can't pull another tech to work on you camper after all you have been through, says all I need to know about that dealer.

What I take away from this, don't buy a FR product. If you are dead set on buying a FR product rent it first and use it several times before purchasing.

Glad the OP "finally" got it resolved.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #76
Congrats on finally getting your AC Unit fixed. Let's hope its smooth sailing from here on out.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Gem Hunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #77
Why won't Forest River work with our dealer? Feeling Buyer's Remorse

Auntieshoes; Glad to hear they finally fixed the AC problem. May you have smooth roads from here on out.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #78
Great to hear your A/C problem is solved, Auntieshoes! I hope you have a chance to get out and enjoy your FR3 soon!
Jay & Jane (Jazzy and Jewel, too)
2014 FR3 30DS
Twin Cities, MN

Live Aloha
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #79
Still working!

Hi all. While we still have not taken an actual trip with our FR3 since we got it back from the dealer, we spent a few hours working on it on Saturday and we cranked up the AC to make the work more bearable.

It was in the high 90's in Phoenix and it was a relatively humid day - probably about 30-40%. The AC started up right away and ran for at least 90 minutes, making it pretty comfortable inside.

As for the work we did:

1) We put covers over the fantastic fan and one other vent in the ceiling so that we won't have to worry if we leave the vents open and it rains. We bought the Fantastic Fan brand ones as they allow for the vent cover to open further.

2) We installed 2 cubbies/drawers in the cabinet below the kitchen sink. In the FR3 there are no drawers at all in the kitchen and we had to use space in the other closets for kitchen utensils and cutlery. The drawers are available from FR and they look like shorter versions of the clothes cubbies. They are included in the 2015 units.

3) We installed a clothes hanger rod in the deeper of the 2 closets. The closet is actually deep enough to hang 2 of these so you can have 2 rows of clothes on hangers, and room below for shoe racks or storage boxes. The rod we also bought from FR and it screws into the ceiling rather than those flimsy side walls. This is also included in the 2015 unit.

4) We bought a ladder for the loft, but had to modify the length. I'd like to know from others who use a ladder where you store it. I tried to put the loft up with the ladder inside but it takes up too much room so the loft won't lock into place. And it's too tall for the closets.

Thanks again to all of the posters for your comments and suggestions and just the general sense of community you gave me to get the AC situation worked out. I wish I had known about this and the other RV forums before we jumped in with both feet, and eyes closed.
auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #80
Sounds like some great mods, can you post some pics?

Jim & Cyndi
2014 FR3 30DS
2005 Dodge Dakota 4WD
KsWhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote

dealer, forest river