Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnwillyg View Post
I have sat and read through this post and regardless of the issue why hasn't FR stepped in and resolved it? The RV owner should not have to get involved between dealerships and home office with any warranty issues. I don't care what the cost, resolve the issue. I find it really sad when the buck gets passed around to who's fault it is....don't care!!!! They take your money they should stand behind their product.
Can you tell I'm going through a similar issue but not how to fix it, or whos's fault it is but the estimate is too high from a third party that has the expertise to resolve it. We complain that these RV's seem over priced but pay because thats what it takes to get them.
Come on FR man up as they say!!!!
if you read the warranty that comes with your rv you will find that the ultimate resolution to all issues related to an rv under warranty rests with FR, if the dealer cannot fix it the factory can, the problem is they expect you to deliver it, If you are lucky you can get them to have horizon transport pick it up as they did in my case, still had problems when I got it back and that's when it got traded. My next FR product a 2013 36 CKTS was in the shop 7 months out of 12 so it went , my next was the 2013 Aviator, which FR decided not to produce shortly after we bought making it an orphan with no resale value so now I have heartland landmark, great warranty service and very few problems. In any case good luck, seems like a simple matter if just running new wires, unless the walls are vacuum bonded, than it gets a little harder.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
And what if the dealer then hooked up to your RV, dragged it out to that public sidewalk, unhooked from it, dusted off his hands, smiled and wished you a good day?

That *is* a viable "nuclear option" for the dealer. The very title of this thread implies that the OP is more upset with FR than with the dealer. From what I've read, the dealer IS trying to work with the owner.

I strongly advise not going with the "nuclear option" and I won't put a winky winky behind it.

I think that's pretty much what the dealer is doing. There has to be some recourse for the consumer.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #43
happy camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
And what if the dealer then hooked up to your RV, dragged it out to that public sidewalk, unhooked from it, dusted off his hands, smiled and wished you a good day?

That *is* a viable "nuclear option" for the dealer. The very title of this thread implies that the OP is more upset with FR than with the dealer. From what I've read, the dealer IS trying to work with the owner.

I strongly advise not going with the "nuclear option" and I won't put a winky winky behind it.
I hear ya... Not a good option. I hope she makes progress with the dealer... How frustrating and painful to lose the best part of your camping summer like this.
Mary Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #44
2012 Solera

I ended up finding an RV repair shop with good internet reviews. Got okay from FR to use an outside shop. Major issue - slideout motor mount broke off frame! The outside shop I used was way more motivated to get the job done - and right the first time. Also, in my opinion, way more qualified. They don't want RV's sitting on their lot for weeks. Dealer said several weeks; outside shop completed job (correctly) in three days - would have been faster if I had said urgent. They have lots of parts on-hand. I paid them, was reimbursed by FR. Dealer, in my opinion, was/is hopeless. If you were anywhere near here, I would recommend them - Ideal RV and Trailer Supply, Redwood City, CA.
As I have suggested to others on the forum previously, skip the dealer - go to an outside shop. In truth, your issue sounds relatively simple.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #45
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I think that's pretty much what the dealer is doing. There has to be some recourse for the consumer.

Anyone who has spent more than a few days on this forum realizes that the ultimate recourse is with Forest River.

I'll say this: if I had a customer with whom I had tried so many things to make right a problem, and *according to the OP, FR would not come forward with a wiring diagram, then see that customer out in front of my business trying to *damage* me and my business, that would be the point at which I'd stop trying to help.

*emphasis added because I don't know for a FACT this is true

These sort of public protests can certainly backfire. I would never attempt this without consulting with an attorney or checking with the local clerk of court regarding what I can and cannot do legally.

One incorrect word spoken or written on a sign could result in a libel suit.

Am I without sympathy for this person and their problem? Absolutely NOT. Just hate to see a bad situation made much worse.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #46

When I fight authority, authority always win.

I'm not a great singer, but that's the best I can do.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #47

FR is having their annual rally in Indiana next week with 600+ FR. FR Owners there with their rigs. You might consider driving it up there and tell them if you can't fix it then replace it with one of equal or greater value. Kinda hard to say "no" with 600 other rig owners there listening and watching.....LOL!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Gem Hunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem Hunters View Post
FR is having their annual rally in Indiana next week with 600+ FR. FR Owners there with their rigs. You might consider driving it up there and tell them if you can't fix it then replace it with one of equal or greater value. Kinda hard to say "no" with 600 other rig owners there listening and watching.....LOL!!!

The rally is going on this week in Goshen

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #49

You are correct. The rally is this week

Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #50

Meeting with the Service Manager today (8/8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem Hunters View Post
You would think that a company owned by Warren Buffet could and would produce a quality product that was second to none. But when you read about all the reoccurring problems on the FR3 with broken steps, broken slide-out gear boxes, faulty AC units, plumbing issues, windshield issues, shower issues, etc. Makes you wonder, "what's next?" I'm almost afraid to take mine out for fear of what is going to breakdown! It is disturbing to say the least. Combine that with their dealer network who can't seem to fix anything in less than 3-weeks only adds insult to injury!! Heck, the guy who did my walk thru with me when I picked my new FR3 didn't even know where the switch was for the awning LED lights! Forest River....are you listening?????? Better yet, do you care??????

Fantastic summary of issues Gem. And yes, they are listening - the first response to my original post was from FR3 Sales Trainer, and it came in around midnight Indiana time on Monday, within hours of when I posted it. I am confident that they are keeping tabs on this forum, but for some reason have chosen to stay silent.

Yesterday there was no resolution of the problem, so we tried to set up a meeting with the GM of our dealer for today, as we are picking up the RV for a camping trip. The dealership is a "small" family owned company so he is also the sales manager who closed the deal with us in May. But he's not in today (he was not in last Friday or Saturday either when I tried to get a chance to meet with him) so he asked us to meet with the Service Manager.

We will be meeting with the SM, our service rep, and the tech this morning. I will request a list of all of the steps that have been taken to resolve this problem since we bought it. I am expecting some resistance, but we will see what happens. And of course we will also want to know what the next step should be.

To answer a few questions:

Yes, they have replaced the circuit breaker.

Jleising - I love your idea of getting FR to authorize the repair work to be done elsewhere, but since they won't answer our calls, how do we get that done? According to the dealer, FR is the hold up, making them jump through hoops before warranty work will be authorized. Since we are not privy to the communication between them and FR won't share with us, I have to assume that the dealer is telling the truth.

Mary Ellen and Weezer - While the "nuclear" option has crossed my mind, I have no plan to go that route. It's one of things that you think about but don't really do. I'm not interested in harming the business that sold it to me - I'm certain that they had no idea that we were getting a lemon. In fact I believe it's the first MH they ever sold. (Of course if I had known that when we bought it, I probably would have gone elsewhere.)

Bob34787 - Wow - I can't believe you are still doing the RV thing after what you have been through. I'm glad that you finally got something that works.

Lynkage - Your suggestions are going with us today, highlighted, along with those of several others posting to this forum.

Zippyzrx - I love your optimism. I hope your coach gets the needed repairs without the hassles we are having. And of course I have posted atta-boys to FR and Mike Hums when they were deserved. I will be THRILLED to let you all know when this problem is TCO.

Gem - You get the award for the best post of all. Even if we could make it to Indiana in time to get to the rally, there is no way I am climbing into an RV in August in Arizona and driving it 1800 miles without AC to protest the lack of AC.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I like knowing that I am not howling into the wind and even though I don't know any of you, your support and suggestions are really helpful.

More news later.
auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #51

Well got an update on my unit. Stair parts from Lippert should arrive today. Lippert will deal direct with dealer on warrenty. Dealer advises they are waiting on FR to get BAL gear motor to them. BAL doesnt deal warranty directly. So im off to email and write FR and see if we can get the part. Dealer advises 2 or less hours left to fix stairs/slide. Dealer has already put my windscreen seal corner back in and resealed...didnt leak but did pop out. Installed brake controller and replaced a very hard to turn lp valve.

Ill keep posting as should all. Seems that FR/BAL is where the problem sits.
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #52

Tell the tech to bypass the hardwire to the ac unit and try it with a heavy duty extention cord. This is of course just for testing purposes and not a fix. If the AC unit works then it is a wire connection issue. Most likly you have a poor connection and it draws too much amperage when the wires start to warm up as it had too juch resistance. Not sure if that will help but just my two cents!
2016 SILVERADO 2500HD 6.6 Duramax
2012 280BH Casscade
sammonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #53

Have ther checked the connection to the power panel. If the input power is loose it will cauls a hi amp draw. Best of luck

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #54

Are they using stripped wires, wire nuts and screw type of connections or are some of them the quick connector type where the wire is pushed into a slot that cuts through the insulation to make the connection? If the later these can build up resistance due to a poor connection which will raise the current draw and potentially (pun intended) cause the breaker to trip.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #55

Wow. Took a long time to read through this thread. With years of electrical and controls experience under my belt, and having read this entire thread, I am suspect of the wiring between the breaker and the AC unit. The gremlin spoken of earlier (can't remember who posted that) with the freckle width between a screw and your wire that could expand with heat under load is a real possibility here. Has anyone used Megger (meg-Ohm) meter to test the integrity of the wiring's insulation? The idea of running new, or temporary power wiring would also eliminate this possible problem, but the right meter can identify faulty or damaged wiring insulation.
I would also test the incoming voltage AT THE AC UNIT with the compressor running. A lower voltage there than at the circuit breaker is a sign of a loose connection or damaged wire (nicked while being stripped, smashed, or any thing else that reduces the conductors cross-sectional area at any point).
Wishing you the best of luck, and many happy camping trips in your future!

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouNick View Post
Wow. Took a long time to read through this thread. With years of electrical and controls experience under my belt, and having read this entire thread, I am suspect of the wiring between the breaker and the AC unit. The gremlin spoken of earlier (can't remember who posted that) with the freckle width between a screw and your wire that could expand with heat under load is a real possibility here. Has anyone used Megger (meg-Ohm) meter to test the integrity of the wiring's insulation? The idea of running new, or temporary power wiring would also eliminate this possible problem, but the right meter can identify faulty or damaged wiring insulation.
I would also test the incoming voltage AT THE AC UNIT with the compressor running. A lower voltage there than at the circuit breaker is a sign of a loose connection or damaged wire (nicked while being stripped, smashed, or any thing else that reduces the conductors cross-sectional area at any point).
Wishing you the best of luck, and many happy camping trips in your future!

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
BINGO Lou!! I think you may have hit the nail on the head. While I said this isn't rocket science, this problem may require more "electrical science" ability than the tech has. I think that's pretty evident in the fact that he has gone to the trouble of replacing the AC twice. It's sad to say, but from what I've seen over the years many dealerships can not, or will not, pay there techs a salary that will fund someone who has "control wiring" and in depth electrical troubleshooting knowledge and skills. Many only have very basic electrical knowledge and may not know how to spell "Ohm's law" much less Megger. But to be fair, dealership management may have this poor tech so overloaded with work the he simply may not have been given the time to focus and troubleshoot this thing.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #57

Auntie,
Has your elect problem been solved yet? Mine has not after 3 weeks sitting at the dealer!
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You will find that dealers all like to blame FR for their incompetence.
Coot, come on. If what the lady said is factual, and I believe her, FR should have at least provided the wiring schematic, to assist the dealer, wouldn't you agree!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #59

Brewster - Not yet, but the dealer has 2 other things they wanted to try this week so I have decided to lay low and wait to hear from them. Are they working on figuring out your AC problem or other issues?

Coot and Kickin - Here is some language from the FR customer service FAQ page:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q-How can I obtain schematics of my Forest River RV product?
Forest River RV does not publish schematics of our products. Should a technical concern arise, we would recommend contacting your local Forest River RV dealer.
auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #60

Which goes back to what I said eariler.....they are wired and plumbed "similarly", but NOT identically, which is why they don't publish an official plumbing or wiring diagram. This could all be avoided and reduce their problems with QC if FR insisted that the assembly line assembled all FR3 units the same. But because they don't, they really have no idea how any specific FR3 unit was wired or plumbed. Hence, the dealer is put in the middle and expected to trouble shoot and fix a problem that they didn't cause and may not even have the technical expertise to fix.

Tags
dealer, forest river