Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #21

Cheap handling fix, usually associated with motorhomes.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #22

get on youtube for instructions
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #23

Quote:
I see the letters chf referenced to in a number of replies, can someone tell me what chf stands for?
Stands for Cheap Handling Fix.

The F53 chassis comes standard with front and rear sway bars. These bars have two adjustments. They come from the factory with the adjustment in the forward, or lose position.

The CHF moves the adjustment to the rear position. This firms up the bar and significantly reduces sway.

I recommend anyone with a F53 do the CHF prior to spending any money on suspension components. You may find that after the CHF, the handling now meets your expectations, and you really don't need to spend 1000s of dollars on stuff after all.

http://www.1999southwind.com/chf-che...-and-handling/

VERY IMPORTANT - Post 2006, Ford made changes to the rear axle sway bar mounts. They now have a habit of bolts falling out and bending the mount brackets. Keep a eye on theses bolts. Preferably take the bolts out, and reinstall with blue locktite and torque to 65 ft lbs.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
Ok I am wore out from fighting the 40–50 mph cross winds from CO to Wichita Ks. in my 2014 FR3 28D. I have done the CHF shortly after I bought the FR3 in 2014 and it helped the handling immensely from stock. Because this MH is the short little dude, is the wind something that I will have to live with for the most part, or can I make other changes or add-ons that will improve the handling while driving in the cross wind and not be blown all over the road? I am also wondering, do the longer MH's have the same problems fighting the cross winds to the extent of being blown all over the road like this shorter one? Will pulling a Toad, 4 wheels down help on the handling in the wind with this short unit and is there anything I need to add to improve the handling when pulling a toad? As always, thanks for your great help and knowledge.
John
Saw an article few days ago about wind, I'll have see if I can find it again. In high winds, I believe the article stated, that depending on the size of the trailer, up 3000lbs of force can be exerted against a trailer.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #25

Thanks Kansas, I have done the CHF shortly after I purchased the unit. Noticed a big difference in the handling. Took the unit to Atlas Spring and Axle to have the front end aligned last mo.. He did a little extra on the alignment and told me that would help with the steering in the wind. I have noticed a difference in the way the unit drives, much better. I agree, he is adamant about keeping 110 psi tire pressure in the tires. It rides a little rough at that pressure so knocking it down to 90 psi. Will take a run out to Greensburg and back to see how it handles at 90 psi on good old hwy. 54.
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Cindy View Post
First we did the CHF and a steering stabilizer. Still had "white knuckle" driving days in the wind . . . Then, we added a rear anti-sway bar. This really helped!!! Just came back from the Dakotas and noticed a BIG difference on windy days. Would highly recommend a rear anti-sway bar, if you don't have one already. Good luck!
Is the rear anti-sway bar in addition to the one that is already their or does it replace the original one on the unit?
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #27

Not much you con do about crosswinds. I’ve been told by my RV friends to fill all the tanks for added weight. The heavier the better in wind .
Frameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frameman View Post
Not much you con do about crosswinds. I’ve been told by my RV friends to fill all the tanks for added weight. The heavier the better in wind .
I have the Blue Ox TruCenter Steering Control (steering stabilizer) and the CHF (cheap handling fix) on mine.

The TruCenter has a button to recenter in a cross wind.
SEE: TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox

I drove about 4,000 miles last summer. When I have a cross wind, I am able to recenter the steering with a push of the button. It was like hitting the cruise button. I give it a 2
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #29

A 42 ft. tag would cure the problem
Maxrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxrates View Post
A 42 ft. tag would cure the problem
You mean like a kite tail?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:12 AM   #31
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
There are times when you do not have a choice to pull over, settle in and let it pass. Was just asking if any of the add on's helped was all. Thanks
That's kind of like saying:

"Don't turn around...drown"!

Anyway, no matter how much I may or may not need to be somewhere, if the weather is too bad to drive...I just won't do it.

Not to say I can't...I just won't!

Life is too short to blow it for nothing.

I've been in the 70+ mph winds down here in New Mexico.

Three days straight couped up in the RV!

And my 5'ver got hit straight on by a dust devil...very interesting experience...kinda' like being in a tornado!

I was supposed to leave the day the winds started, but I decided to hunker down instead.

And we are getting them here again starting tonight!

I'm all buttoned down and ready for the wind...again!

I may have to add another week to my stay here.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #32

As a regular Southern California desert RVer, I have driven through some high winds, especially in what is known as the San Gorgonio Wind Farm, where all the lovely windmills are, and the Coachella Valley. It is not fun, luckily usually only about an hour tops, but I can say adding a front steering stabilzer made a huge difference. It’s still a battle, but I feel much more in control. There’s no alternative or pull over, it’s pretty much always a high wind area. Good luck with whatever you decide Mr J.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I have the Blue Ox TruCenter Steering Control (steering stabilizer) and the CHF (cheap handling fix) on mine.

The TruCenter has a button to recenter in a cross wind.
SEE: TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox

I drove about 4,000 miles last summer. When I have a cross wind, I am able to recenter the steering with a push of the button. It was like hitting the cruise button. I give it a 2
I de-winterized my FR3 and my took it for a long test drive. Part of the trip was on a two lane road with a 65 MPH speed limit.

When a Big Rig would pass in the opposite direction, the wiper blades would shake, but the FR3 did not even sway.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Stands for Cheap Handling Fix.

The F53 chassis comes standard with front and rear sway bars. These bars have two adjustments. They come from the factory with the adjustment in the forward, or lose position.

The CHF moves the adjustment to the rear position. This firms up the bar and significantly reduces sway.

I recommend anyone with a F53 do the CHF prior to spending any money on suspension components. You may find that after the CHF, the handling now meets your expectations, and you really don't need to spend 1000s of dollars on stuff after all.

http://www.1999southwind.com/chf-che...-and-handling/

VERY IMPORTANT - Post 2006, Ford made changes to the rear axle sway bar mounts. They now have a habit of bolts falling out and bending the mount brackets. Keep a eye on theses bolts. Preferably take the bolts out, and reinstall with blue locktite and torque to 65 ft lbs.

I recently did the CHF and like you said... I’m happy with how it handles now and don’t need to spend the dough on susp upgrades.
LytesOutFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #35

I recently added Roadmaster front and rear sway bars and the steering stabilizer.I have a 28DS (30'). They made a huge difference. I still feel heavy winds a little but it doesn't push me sideways as it did before the install. I do not feel trucks passing and most all of the sway is gone. I went back and had the Sumo Springs installed as well. It does cushion the ride a great deal.They also help with the wind sway.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #36

Wind, Wind, Wind

High side winds caused a stress crack on the windshield. $5,000 to replace. Fortunately a $250 deductible covers it. Torsional racking on the frame stressed the fixed windshield enough to crack it on the bottom going up for about 6 inches. 16 30DS
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:39 AM   #37
Site Team

One has to wonder why manufacturer is Still installing in the "loose" position. Seems they would have caught on that the units are safer and better handling in the tighter position.
Or have I missed something.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote