Old 10-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #1

Wind, Wind, Wind

Ok I am wore out from fighting the 4050 mph cross winds from CO to Wichita Ks. in my 2014 FR3 28D. I have done the CHF shortly after I bought the FR3 in 2014 and it helped the handling immensely from stock. Because this MH is the short little dude, is the wind something that I will have to live with for the most part, or can I make other changes or add-ons that will improve the handling while driving in the cross wind and not be blown all over the road? I am also wondering, do the longer MH's have the same problems fighting the cross winds to the extent of being blown all over the road like this shorter one? Will pulling a Toad, 4 wheels down help on the handling in the wind with this short unit and is there anything I need to add to improve the handling when pulling a toad? As always, thanks for your great help and knowledge.
John

Old 10-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
Ok I am wore out from fighting the 4050 mph cross winds from CO to Wichita Ks. in my 2014 FR3 28D. I have done the CHF shortly after I bought the FR3 in 2014 and it helped the handling immensely from stock. Because this MH is the short little dude, is the wind something that I will have to live with for the most part, or can I make other changes or add-ons that will improve the handling while driving in the cross wind and not be blown all over the road? I am also wondering, do the longer MH's have the same problems fighting the cross winds to the extent of being blown all over the road like this shorter one? Will pulling a Toad, 4 wheels down help on the handling in the wind with this short unit and is there anything I need to add to improve the handling when pulling a toad? As always, thanks for your great help and knowledge.
John
We've done just about everything that can be done to improve the handling of our 30DS. I still get blown around in real heavy winds like you're talking about. Just have to grin and bear it. Or, add a stabilizer to the front and an ad-on rear anti sway bar from Roadmaster that gives added stability to the stock sway bar.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #3

Seriously......it's a brick on wheels. Some are longer bricks 37+ feet.....some are shorter bricks 28 feet. Of course they handle bad in cross winds.

But if it's cross winds you're fighting that bad, find a campground, pour a cold one, and drive another (less windy) day!

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

You're piloting a billboard. Just deal with it. We all do (or most of us do). After awhile you will learn your MH's idiosyncrasies. You can invest a lot of money in add-ons that do nothing for this issue. If the winds are really to strong a pull over is called for. You'll get the hang of it. JMO.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

Wind is an issue with most MH's but some of the longer (40' +) are helped by the fact that they weight 30K or more which helps hold them down better than a lighter, shorter MH...

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

No need to get testy. There are times when you do not have a choice to pull over, settle in and let it pass. Was just asking if any of the add on's helped was all. Thanks
Old 10-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

Cross winds are a problem for everyone. I don't know of any add-ons that help that much with 40+ mph gusty crosswinds. When we were working and had dead lines we would slow way down and suffer through it. Now when we start getting blown around enough to make us nervous we either pull over and stop for the night, or find a comfortable truck stop to spend time while waiting for the wind to ease up.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #8

You said......
"Ok I am wore out from fighting the 4050 mph cross winds from CO to Wichita Ks."

Come on that is extreme cross winds and you should find a place to stay until it dies down.

The only other suggestion is to turn and the opposite direction of the wind and have a great trip with a 40 -50 mph tail wind.

But seriously, with any motorhome it's very difficult in high cross winds.
Do the CHF and maintain the proper tire pressure is all I can suggest.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
Curiouser and Curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You said......
"Ok I am wore out from fighting the 4050 mph cross winds from CO to Wichita Ks."

Come on that is extreme cross winds and you should find a place to stay until it dies down.

The only other suggestion is to turn and the opposite direction of the wind and have a great trip with a 40 -50 mph tail wind.

But seriously, with any motorhome it's very difficult in high cross winds.
Do the CHF and maintain the proper tire pressure is all I can suggest.
We too recently returned from a cross country trip where we encountered very difficult driving conditions across the plains. We found that when the wind hit even 25 miles per hour we were affected and by 30 miles per hour the driving was white knuckles miserable when encountering cross winds. We have done all of the fixes (anti sway bars front and back etc.). We now look ahead on our journey using weather app that lets us know what the wind is like ahead of us on our route and if there will be winds over 20 miles per hour, we re-route or stay put for a day. We want our drives to be as fun as our destinations and luckily for us we do not have to stay on a schedule.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #10

Still tough in winds

Its good to hear that I'm not the only one! I have the little 25DS and on my first drive I was scared to death. I have added the steering stabilizer bar, roadmaster sway bars on front and rear, and Sumo Springs on all 4 corners. At least now it is more of a nuisance than a white knuckle experience. the Sumo's really helped the ride. It was expensive, and it should have been that way from the factory, but...