Old 02-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

Windshield Replacement:

This week a glass chip that was repaired on the windshield of our 2016 FR3 30DS has developed into a 24 inch crack. Fortunately we have $100 deductible insurance to cover the replacement. We live in the Rochester Michigan area just north of Detroit and are looking for advice of a good RV windshield replacement company that has extensive experience with Class A RV's. Thanks. Jim

Jim Wiemels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Curiouser and Curiouser

Suggest you contact Amy (1.800.551.9149 ext. 2055) at Duncan Glass (the company that makes the windshields). They have a list of providers that, if you use them for the replacement, Duncan will warrant. We were so glad we did this as the company we used made a mistake in replacing the glass and it cracked again. Duncan covered everything including arranging for a mobile glass repair company to come to us! It was a call we were very glad we made.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #3

Finch, Thank you for the great advice, I'll give Amy a call. Jim
Old 03-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

Jim, did you get your glass taken care of? I just dealt with Amy and Duncan glass and was the not satisfied with the installer in my area chosen by her and the installation job. My windshield was shattered by a wind storm in the area. I was directed to them by Progressive Insurance Glass Claim Dept. When I called Duncan, Amy took sides with the installer to the degree that I interrupted her and asked "why she was being so defensive of the installer" adding is that because you sent 28-30 jobs to him. She asked who I want to review/repair/remove-re-install and I asked for SafeLite. When they called me they said the job was no big deal, they have two guys in the area that have done hundreds of class A windshield replacements. I'm meeting them next Wednesday so I'll see.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #5

Sherman, interesting that you ask at this point in time. I delayed moving forward with replacing the windshield since we were leaving on a 7 week trip to Australia and will return April 14th. So this week from Melbourne Australia I started the process of talking to Amy at Duncan Glass, my insurance provider claim representative and selecting a shop in my local area to handle a Class A motor windshield replacement. My hope was to process the claim and have the windshield delivered to the installer to be ready to install the week after we return home April 17th. After many calls from Australia, at least a 15 e-mails, I am no where because Duncan Glass (Amy), my claims representative and installer are struggling to communicate.. The recommended installer from Amy (Fenkell Automotive Services -Auburn Hills, Michigan) is OK with me since I had work done on our motorhome there before. We board a 10 day cruise out of Sydney on Monday to New Zealand so my push to organize our windshield replacement will be limited. Good Luck !
Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply Jim. Enjoy Australia and New Zealand. Cousin just got back from three week trip there and he's ready to move to New Zealand he was sooo impressed.

Regarding your windshield, make sure the shop chosen by Amy is able to handle with ease a windshield that big. That was the problem with the guy she picked to do mine, he had never done one as large as mine. Even after meeting him to see if he was willing to fix his shoddy install he stood in front of the window and just stared at the window saying "that's a big window and they shouldn't be putting these things on RV's", and that's after I told him I'll work with Progressive and Duncan again to get my rig right.

Enjoy your amazing trip!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #7

Hey Jim, I know you are finishing up your great Australia and New Zealand trip, but an update on my windshield replacement. Last week I had 4 guys from SafeLite come out and look at the installed windshield. They all agreed that the guy that did the work did a sloppy job. However, the one piece of advice from their opinions is that with out changing out the two piece rubber windshield seal/gasket that holds the window in, it is almost impossible to get an exact fit of the rubber up against the new replacement windshield. The seal takes a set and kinda molds itself to the O.E.M. window. Your replacement window from Duncan Systems, they are a supplier, not a manufacturer, may have slightly different dimensions than the original glass. Combine this with the stretched rubber and you may have gaps in the seal to the windshield which is the problem I now have. Now, I have the decision of leaving it as is if it doesn't leak, to taking it somewhere else at time and expense to see first if the window can be removed with out breaking it, then getting Progressive to pay for a new rubber seal and install and re-install the replacement window. All this as the 2017 camping season is soon to be here.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #8

Hi Sherman, thank you for your insight to the issues with your windshield replacement. Friday night I returned from Australia and this morning I dropped off our 2016 30DS. I used your note to discuss the issues you experienced during your replacement with the seal. The technician claimed that that what appeared as a seal on our motorhome is actually a UV rated urethane material that is applied to fill the gape following windshield replacement. The process is that the old windshield is removed, area cleaned- up, the new windshield is positioned and fasted with adhesive and sets overnight than the gap is filled with UV rated urethane. After complete the unit sets 24 to 48 hours and is ready to drive. I plan on picking it up Friday and I can let you know how it looks. What is your motorhome year and model ? Thanks. Jim
Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #9

Hi Jim, your process sounds different than what the guy that installed mine performed. There is no urethane in the seal gaps. He told me he used a double layer of adhesive or as he called it "glue", one to set the window in and than a top coat for added seal and water protection. When I had him out there to complain about the gapping in the seal his response was that he could caulk it in a few spots. My wife and I decided we are going to live with the crappy job and as the weather warms up I'm going to clean up what I can and try sealing around the windshield with black silicone. Sounds like you are going to get a much better install than what Duncan Systems arranged for me. My rig is in my signature.

Tags
replacement