Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #1

Windshield wiper

I have a 2014 25DS FR3. I am wondering if anyone else is having trouble with the passenger side windshield wiper not making good contact with the windshield when on. I have tried to adjust the tension of the arm by forming it to apply more pressure on the windshield. Doesn't seem to help with clearing the water off. Would a 2" shorter wiper blade help adhere to the contour of the windshield better? I noticed that the drivers side has more tension on the wiper arm against the windshield then the passengers side. Seems like the contour of the windshield on the passengers side may have something to do with the pressure of the arm against the windshield. Any suggestions would be of great help. Thanks
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #2

I've just gotten used to the wipers being terrible. RainX makes a big difference.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

Your lucky, I have a 16 30 ds and the wiper occasionally falls off
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

Probably windshield design
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #5

Same problem on driver side. Had to replace the complete wiper unit. This fixed the problem.
jbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

Mine hasn't fallen off yet, just won't wipe the water off the passengers side. I am sure it is the windshield design and placement of the wiper motor. I am thinking of going to a shorter wiper blade that doesn't cover so much of the windshield and its curvature might help.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

Ive got same issue. I am considering removing the arm and bending it more towards the windshield. Seems that most of the time it is simply not touching the windshield.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY25DS View Post
Ive got same issue. I am considering removing the arm and bending it more towards the windshield. Seems that most of the time it is simply not touching the windshield.
After looking at mine today, the drivers side wiper motor has a tilt due to the curvature of the front end cap causing the wiper arm to have more force towards the windshield. The passengers wiper motor is more on a flat surface and doesn't have a tilt like it does on the drivers side, causing it to have less wiper tension on the windshield. I have formed the wiper arm some to add more tension and it seems like that may help somewhat. Next is to put shorter wiper blades on, then try and see if I can shim the wiper motor housing some to cause the front shaft to angle up a little. That will increase the pressure of the wiper blade arm and put more force on the windshield. Please, if anyone has a better idea let me know, I am all ears.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

Wiper arm

On my 2014 FR-3 I cured the problem by adjusting the tentions on the springs inside the wiper arm
tinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #10

I looked at the spring and couldn't see how to adjust the tension. Could you explain the procedure on how to adjust it? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #11

I've had the drivers side wiper blade on my 2016 30DS disengage from the wiper arm clip on two occasions/trips while driving and the rain starting to fall. Fortunately I got stopped and off the road before the blade was lost for good. Once I reengaged the blade into the wiper arm clip, it worked fine the rest of the trip. I haven't experienced any issues with the blade not wiping the windshield properly.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #12
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

The wiper arms on both sides of our 2014 30DS would actually lift off the windshield any time a truck going the other way passed on a 2 lane hwy. It got so bad that when it rained the wipers would be useless. I contacted the mfg. of the arms and was told the springs on our arms were weak. I purchased new arms (with heavier springs) from them, installed them and have not had any more problems

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
The wiper arms on both sides of our 2014 30DS would actually lift off the windshield any time a truck going the other way passed on a 2 lane hwy. It got so bad that when it rained the wipers would be useless. I contacted the mfg. of the arms and was told the springs on our arms were weak. I purchased new arms (with heavier springs) from them, installed them and have not had any more problems
Thanks for the info. Do you remember who you contacted for the wiper arms? Or, do you have a part number for them. I would think F/R would replace them if you have an extended warranty. Any info that you can give would be ao great help. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #14
Branchman

Had the same issue and just bent the wiper arm until decent contact was made
Branchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Do you have a PN we can lookup?
Thanks.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #16
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you remember who you contacted for the wiper arms? Or, do you have a part number for them. I would think F/R would replace them if you have an extended warranty. Any info that you can give would be ao great help. Thanks.
The mfg. for the arms on our 2014 30DS is AM Equipment in Jefferson, OR. Phone# 541-327-1546. I talked to Shauna. The part# is; 352-0386. The cost was $50/ea.

You should be able to look at your arm am see if AM shows on it. If so, call them. They may want you to send a picture of your wiper motor spindle to see the groove pattern. I needed to do this.
Hope this helps.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote