Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Lightbulb Windshield Word of Wisdom

FR3 Family: A word to the wise, We all have a really " BIG FRONT WINDSHIELDS"
and it is expensive to replace. Traveling back from our trip to Washington State,
we were on our final leg for home and as fate would have it we caught a rock in the gradient tint section of the windshield. About 100 miles from home Sunday evening. My thought was it's a chip and it has not spidered, so Monday morning I'll call a mobile windshield repair company to fix the chip. I went out to the coach the next morning to discover the window had spider webbed. So now I have to replace my Windshield !! Ok that shouldn't be too bad my Insurance and or my bumper to bumper premium coverage should do the trick. "WRONG" Well to my surprise I did not have Windshield Replacement Coverage in my policies, and my primary Insurance had a $1000.00 deductible. The Windshield replacement cost was $2,700.00 and I had to pay $1000.00.
Here's my point: The dealer who sold me the coach was also a Insurance Rep. who sold me the main insurance, He neglected to mention adding windshield replacement coverage ($120.00 per year) to my policy!!

Do yourself a favor if you don't have windshield replacement coverage,
"GET IT" its only a question of time before you use it....
Shame on the dealer for not making me aware of this!!!

Oh did I mention on our very next trip driving through Park City Utah, I caught another rock and spent a few extra days in Salt Lake having the
Brand New cracked windshield replaced. Thank God I added the windshield coverage before this trip.
davecole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

I called my R.V. Insurance Co. (National General Insurance) I asked if windhshield's hit by road debris was covered. He said yes it was but have to pay deductable. My deductable is $500.00. So it would cost me $500.00.
You are right can happen very easy. Just had one hit my pick up truck and had to have it replaced. I had to pay the deductable on my car insurance which is $100.00.
philv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #3

That was my circumstance, except my deductible was $1000.00 (National General Insurance) the windshield was covered under comprehensive collision, part of my original policy. I modified my coverage to include windshield damage and replacement. So when and if my windshield was damaged and it was, I would not have to pay for repair or replacement.
Please understand I'm not an Insurance agent, I'm just a consumer, a fellow FR3 owner and I'm just trying to pass on some helpful information, I hope this helps-
davecole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #4

Yes make sure you are covered. I'm from Florida so no deductible if you have comprehensive. Windshield was $3000. My cost zero.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote