Old 12-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Winterize question and regulator question.

Two questions in one thread here!

First - I just winterized my '15 FR3 for the first time (bought new in June). I was unable to completely drain the fresh water tank. The drain hose is mounted on the side of the tank, near the bottom, but no matter what I do I can't figure out a way to get all the water out. Maybe about 1/2" of water left in the tank. Anything to be concerned about during the coming freezing weather?

Second - our last trip this season it got down to 31F and the propane regulator behaved strangely. I lit a burner on the stove and watched the flame rise to full then ebb slowly to minimal, and it kept repeating. Not enough flow/pressure to adequately supply the furnace. I started the engine and generator to generate some heat (propane tank directly between the two heat sources) and the regulator started working perfectly again 20 minutes later. Advice? Just cold-related? Anyone replace their stock regular with an aftermarket one, etc?

Jeff

jeffmcfarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

NO worries on the fresh water tank. What little water is left has plenty of room for expansion. I would the cap off the drain in case any water gets trapped in the line. As for your regulator, it probably just froze up from being cold and the volume of gas flowing. Insulating it may help.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Sometime back there was a rash of bad regulators reported here.

I would bring the one you have to a local propane store and get a good or best from them, that way if you have more problems you can bring it back easy.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

Draining the fresh water tank entirely can be done by using the hyro lifts in manual mode rear only... or do as I did and drive the coach to parking lot or drive way with a hill facing down hill. Apply the parking break and let it drain.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

Propane issue could also be wet propane. If the tank wasn't properly purged before its first use it could have moisture from the air in it. Also some dealers can sell poor quality propane with excess moisture in it. Not an issue when the outside temperature is above freezing, but can start freezing in the regulator when it gets cold outside.
grumpyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize