Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Winterizing

Hoping to move to southern Idaho next year from Long Beach. Ive read the winterizing threads and it seems like a lot of work. Because So. Idaho doesn't get hammered with snow but I don't want blown lines either. I roll out every 4-6 weeks even in the Winter and don't what to have to drain all the anti freeze and flush the tanks then fill up for a trip.
If I return from a trip and just drain all the tanks and open the lines, will that be good enough?
Any thought?
Clamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Winterizing a camper is easy...

Replacing frozen plumbing is not so easy...

You may be able to just blow out the water lines with an air compressor between trips.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #3

I'd move from Long Beach too. You can blow out the lines with air.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #4

Winterizing and dewinterizing is not much work. Antifreeze method isnt very expensive and I can winterize my camper in 10 minutes. But...it took over an hour the first time.

I believe the 'lot of work' you see on this forum of members learning what it means to properly winterize, how to winterize their specific camper and ensuring everything is hooked up properly. Once you get those 3 things worked out, its fast and easy.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #5

Copy. California is Living Hell. I will grab the flag on my way out. And yes, much easier to winterize than replace lines.....
Old 02-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Winterizing a camper is easy...

Replacing frozen plumbing is not so easy...

You may be able to just blow out the water lines with an air compressor between trips.
20 minutes. Just go thru a prep drill and you will master it.

Have a couple gallons of RV antifreeze ready, drain lines, bypass the water heater and drain it, blow it out if you can or just run the pump and pump the antifreeze thru all lines and into tanks and traps.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #7

In my outside Drain Lines bay there is a single line that runs from the water pump which 'dead ends' and has a valve on it. Is that what I would put in anti freeze jug, open valve, and pump through lines?
Could I also put that line in a spare water can if I run the water tank empty on a trip?

As far as Winterizing, I guess I could flush the anti-freeze, reset valves, and fill the tanks and leave the same day. I usually prep one day and leave early the next morning or late that night. If I fill the tanks/lines one day and not leave until the next day, I would run the risk of everything freezing overnight before I go wheels up. Otherwise, I guess I pack up, drive South to slightly warmer climate before I load water. Just curious how you cold weather people do it.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
edm

Yes you can use the winterizing line to get water from a auxiliary water source.

After you de-winterize if it isn't below 0 degrees you should be ok over night as long as you leave your heat on. The compartments are heated by your furnace air.

My compartments are heated just fine when the heat is on.

Good luck and happy travles.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #9

Thanks edm!

Tags
winter