Winterizing the FR3
Itís almost Halloween and our first season with our FR3 is ending. I had a Class C before but thought Iíd post my winter plan to see if any FR3 veterans have better ideas. Itís stored outdoors in the Chicago suburbs so it will see below zero F temperatures. I winterize at a full hook up campsite and thoroughly flush the waste tanks before I start.
1. Remove the plastic cover from the hot water compartment. Turn the pump off; remove the fresh water drain plug and hot water heater plug / anode. Open all faucets. Let everything drain.
2. Open the hot water bypass valve; close the two hot water supply valves. Close the faucets. Replace fresh water drain plug but leave the water heater plug / anode out. Donít lose it.
3. Turn pump on and suck 4 gallons of RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank using the hose in the pump compartment (remove the plug on the end of the hose).
4. Replace the hose plug, open each faucet in turn and run until stream of antifreeze is dark. Kitchen cold, hot; shower cold, hot; bathroom cold, hot; toilet; outside shower cold, hot.
5. Turn pump off. Pour Ĺ gallon of RV antifreeze down the kitchen drain; shower drain; toilet. Remove outside shower head from the hose and store inside. Replace the cover for the hot water compartment.
On the way home, add 32 oz. Stabil and top off the 80 gallon fuel tank. Run the generator along the way, about an hourís run.
In the storage lot remove all food, beverages and spices. Remove all linens, paper or anything little furry guys may want to nest in, both in the cabin and the outside compartments. I put about Ĺ paper coffee cup full of moth balls in each room and compartment. I leave the pots, pans and utensils in the camper.
Except for extreme cold snaps, I visit every 2-3 weeks and run the engine until warm, move the rig about Ĺ a turn of the tires to keep them round, and shift the transmission through each gear. I turn the battery disconnect back off when I leave.
I did this for 5 seasons with the C and never had a freeze issue. Are they any foibles or hidden tricks with the FR3?
2015 FR3 30DS
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT