Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Winterizing the FR3

It’s almost Halloween and our first season with our FR3 is ending. I had a Class C before but thought I’d post my winter plan to see if any FR3 veterans have better ideas. It’s stored outdoors in the Chicago suburbs so it will see below zero F temperatures. I winterize at a full hook up campsite and thoroughly flush the waste tanks before I start.

1. Remove the plastic cover from the hot water compartment. Turn the pump off; remove the fresh water drain plug and hot water heater plug / anode. Open all faucets. Let everything drain.
2. Open the hot water bypass valve; close the two hot water supply valves. Close the faucets. Replace fresh water drain plug but leave the water heater plug / anode out. Don’t lose it.
3. Turn pump on and suck 4 gallons of RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank using the hose in the pump compartment (remove the plug on the end of the hose).
4. Replace the hose plug, open each faucet in turn and run until stream of antifreeze is dark. Kitchen cold, hot; shower cold, hot; bathroom cold, hot; toilet; outside shower cold, hot.
5. Turn pump off. Pour ½ gallon of RV antifreeze down the kitchen drain; shower drain; toilet. Remove outside shower head from the hose and store inside. Replace the cover for the hot water compartment.

On the way home, add 32 oz. Stabil and top off the 80 gallon fuel tank. Run the generator along the way, about an hour’s run.

In the storage lot remove all food, beverages and spices. Remove all linens, paper or anything little furry guys may want to nest in, both in the cabin and the outside compartments. I put about ½ paper coffee cup full of moth balls in each room and compartment. I leave the pots, pans and utensils in the camper.

Except for extreme cold snaps, I visit every 2-3 weeks and run the engine until warm, move the rig about ½ a turn of the tires to keep them round, and shift the transmission through each gear. I turn the battery disconnect back off when I leave.

I did this for 5 seasons with the C and never had a freeze issue. Are they any foibles or hidden tricks with the FR3?
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Sounds like you got everything covered

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
2020 Bershire 34QS

Do you leave the stabilizer jacks down?
Old 10-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill16 View Post
Do you leave the stabilizer jacks down?
I've been told that they will rust if left in the down position over the winter, so no I don't.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #5

Mission accomplished. I made two tweaks to my plan.

Before I left the storage lot I pulled the drain plug to the fresh water tank and tilted camper to empty the tank. It got down to about 3/4". I left the plug out on the trip to the campground and virtually all the water sloshed it's way out.

At the campground one of the guys in our group showed me a valve (photo) on the antifreeze fill hose, when turned the antifreeze goes directly into the hose lines and does not go into the fresh water tank. So I completely filled the lines and didn't get any in the water tank. My old class C either didn't have one or I never found it, duh, I used to spend hours flushing out the antifreeze in the spring.

The FR3 is an absolute breeze to winterize, compared to crawling under the cabinets and feeling around blindly for the valves in my old C. You can get at everything easily, the only tool I used was to remove the anode from the hot water tank. Once you've drained the tanks and heater it only takes about 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_AF_Valve.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	92901  
Old 10-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
RV Tinkerer

Thumbs up Winterizing the FR3

Wow! I'm impressed, you've covered it all. I'll be sure to reference this when I winterize.
eytoey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize