Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #11

Honestly unless you're retired and have a lot of free time on your hands I would never buy anything I can rent again. RV's boats etc take up a lot of time and money on routine maintenance, storage , insurance etc. I'm going to sell my TT and rent from now on. It's not that I don't enjoy camping, it's that I spend more days working on it than camping. We were planning on taking a 2 week trip a year and about 3 or 4 long weekends a year so I thought it made sense to buy but the long weekends rarely happen so it would be a little more expensive to rent when we want but a lot less physical work and therefore more enjoyable. Wash wax and seal the roof once or twice a year and you'll know what I mean.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

The problem with the rentals is that they don't have the nice modifications that most of us owners like to add. I realized when I bought my RV that it's really about enjoying a "lifestyle" over saving money. It also depends heavily on how much you intend to use it per year. If it's for 1-2 wks. per year than go ahead and rent. Before I purchased I inquired into renting first and they wouldn't rent to me if I brought my dogs.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
The problem with the rentals is that they don't have the nice modifications that most of us owners like to add. I realized when I bought my RV that it's really about enjoying a "lifestyle" over saving money. It also depends heavily on how much you intend to use it per year. If it's for 1-2 wks. per year than go ahead and rent. Before I purchased I inquired into renting first and they wouldn't rent to me if I brought my dogs.
Hit the nail on the head with the ability to bring the dogs. We thought about renting too but opted against it since it is not too much more to own and you get a lot more flexibility. Factoring in the amount of my monthly payment PLUS 3 to 4 week long vacations and a few long weekends I am still under what it would cost to take my family to Disney for a week.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #14

We have been back and forth from TT to MH and back so many times that it is embarrassing.......

After going RV-less for almost a year, we "have tried" to purchase with logic -- our kind of logic, not necessarily that for everyone.

Our first question was: "how many days per year will be be IN the RV ?"

Our answer was less than 100.

Conclusion: there would be a bucket of cash, exceeding $100K sitting out in the yard 265 days of the year.

Therefore: a $20K couples TT was (for us) a no-brainer. Already had the ecoboost.

Everyone has priorities, but newer RV's seem to be waaaaay too much glitz and glitter and decreasing substance.

Example: ever spent a day in AZ in July with a DUCTED a/c ? By the time the air exits the ducts.......its HOT again. The old style "hangy-down" a/c will keep you nice and cool.

oz....hey, you kids; get off the grass.....
Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #15

I do not know...

We bought our 2015 FR 3 25 DS brand new back in Feb 2015.
This is our first motorhome. We decided to buy brand new instead of used so we would not have any problems...
So far last summer (2015) they have replaced the motor of the dinette slide out as well as some parts of the automatic hydraulic jacks both had stopped working..
Now June 2016 the dealer is waiting for the parts to fix the bedroom slide out
which now stopped working. (good thing we bought the extended warranty)
When we first got the MH they had to fix the board under the king size mattress (too short).
Those are the main repairs they had to do so far.
We enjoy the lay out and the size of it for driving around.
The dealer where we bought it from gives us a good service for all the repairs.
If I had to do it all over again I might go for a used MH (3 or 4 years old) because by then all the flaws should have been fixed and but still would get an extended warranty if it is feasible.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpPI View Post
I am in the market for a motor home. One of the brands I am looking at is the FR3 30DS.

For those of you that own one I would like to ask if you would purchase your MH again?

Pros and cons welcome!
Sure minor bugs but that is expected just find a good dealer with good reviews.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrle View Post
Sure minor bugs but that is expected just find a good dealer with good reviews.

This post went off track a bit.

Yes.

New v used is a preference thing. You should also not pay north of $80k for a new 30DS, somewhere in the $75k-$78k range is the price point. Do your due diligence, research prices ahead of time and don't fall for the "show price" bs. Renting? Well another personal preference, but after letting a relative with 2 small kids borrow mine for a weekender, I'd pass on a rental. You gotta be all in, it's work to own one unless you have the disposable income to pay someone to wash/wax it for you or enjoy doing it yourself like I do. Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you choose.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #18

Would you do it again?

Yes
Old 06-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #19

Yes. One minor issue with drop down bunk, fixed. For entry level Class A this one worked well for our needs. We have the king bed, but 30 amp and 1 Ac. We will likely add another AC in the bedroom if we travel south or west in summer but so far so good. This is our second year. We did add a fantastic fan in the bathroom. I am still working on the most efficient use of space and potential modifications for comfort etc. But for now, we are very pleased. We almost upgraded to a big diesel with an extra half bath then came to our senses. Just much more than two people and an old dog need. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #20

100% yes. We have a 2014 FR3 30 DS and love it. We have had a few very minor issues, most of which I have handled on my own. For the $$$$ this is a great entry level coach. We have had it for about 2 years and put over 10k miles on it and loved every minute. We 4 wheel tow a wrangler with no issues. We have not done the CHF and I still don't mind the handling. Some customization but not much, really a good fit from the factory. We may be lucky but I would buy again and refer to friends. More power would be nice but not necessary. Second bathroom would be nice but not necessary. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums