Originally Posted by TwoBuells
Two years ago I noticed a soft spot on the floor at my side door. I did a temp fix by added this floor plate. I also put Eternal Bond 4" roof tape on every seam on the roof. At no time have I ever seen any water on the floor. since then I now have two soft spots at the rear door, left and right corner. they are getting worse and at the side door the soft spots are spreading past the floor plate. When I take my floor apart I might have to go as far as taking the kitchen cabinets out also as that area is getting worse. My floor is sealed to the wall and would love to know where the water is getting in and under the floor. I guess I'll find out when I tare it apart.
I found your repair thread by accident. The other day I was coming out of the camper and when I hit the bottom step I noticed that the floor moved where the stairs are connected. I was bummed out. Your thread has giving me hope that I can repair this and will have a stronger unit when done.
The Black tape is the eternal bond tape, strong stuff and has a long life
It took me a little while to figure out what was causing my issue. I looked for stains on the walls and any signs of leaks. I didn't see any signs anywhere so I was confused where the leak could be.
I looked under the sink , around the toilet. I even checked under the shower tub by looking in the cabinet under the microwave with a flashlight.
It wasn't until I was filling up the fresh water tank that I found what the problem was. I was at home and thought I'd fill the tank and see how long it would take to fill.
As the tank was getting full I could hear the water getting higher in the tank so i went inside to push the button to see how full it was.
That's when I noticed water streaming from under the fridge out on the floor. It started puddling up in that soft spot area and started to run down to the back.
I though "great" so glad the previous owner "fixed" the leak...
When I first bought the unit the previous owner mentioned a water leak that he fixed. He skirted around to where the problem was.
So the water running across the floor while the water was filling the tank told me otherwise.
So I wanted to see exactly where it was coming from. I disconnected the battery and pulled the cover for the circuit breakers and the inverter was. I think it was 8 screws total. I pulled the whole thing out and behind it I found the water pump and now could see more of what was going on.
I started to fill the tank again with water and went inside and watched to see where the leak was.
BINGO... Found it. It was coming from the hose that connects the outside fill cap to the hose that's connected to the fresh water tank.
I shut the water off and took the 3 screws out from the cover of the fill cap. It had some butyl tape or caulking I separated and pulled the whole thing away from the outside wall of the rv.
I seen the hose was connected to the cap with a hose clamp. So I grabbed a flat head screwdriver and i wanted to see how tight the hose clamp was.
It was loose as a goose. I must have turned to tighten that clamp for a good 30 secs. After I tightened it I turned the water back on.
No leaks at all. Not sure if that caused the whole dilemma or what.
I found the wood floor was particle board or presswood. When wet it acts like a sponge in my opinion.
So I'm happy I found my problem but so mad that it really doesn't take much to ruin a floor.
I hope you find the source of your problem , sooner than later.
Good luck !