Old 04-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #1

Tires & Rims

Just wondering if there are any owners of early 2018 Catalina Trail Blazer TH26 toy haulers. My unit came with load range C tires and rims that are only rated to 1850 lbs. A lot of data I have found tells me that 2018 rigs should have come from the factory with load range d tires and rims that are rated to 2150 lbs.

For those of you that do have 2018s, could you possibly check your sticker with the tire and rim information on it and please post it here. I am trying to find out if my rig has had the wrong rims and tires put on or if there may have been a change that no one is aware of. This includes the factory as they are telling my trailer is fine and it has the correct size on it.

I am thinking about getting new rims to up the safety margin but would like to know for sure what came on the trailer from the factory. If I purchase new rims they would need to be 15x6 as opposed to what is currently on the trailer. Attached is a copy of the sticker off of my trailer;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rims1a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	203167  

cliffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy49 View Post
Just wondering if there are any owners of early 2018 Catalina Trail Blazer TH26 toy haulers. My unit came with load range C tires and rims that are only rated to 1850 lbs. A lot of data I have found tells me that 2018 rigs should have come from the factory with load range d tires and rims that are rated to 2150 lbs.

For those of you that do have 2018s, could you possibly check your sticker with the tire and rim information on it and please post it here. I am trying to find out if my rig has had the wrong rims and tires put on or if there may have been a change that no one is aware of. This includes the factory as they are telling my trailer is fine and it has the correct size on it.

I am thinking about getting new rims to up the safety margin but would like to know for sure what came on the trailer from the factory. If I purchase new rims they would need to be 15x6 as opposed to what is currently on the trailer. Attached is a copy of the sticker off of my trailer;
It looks like your trailer was in production before the 10% increase in tire load capacity recommendation by RVIA was applied. Specs for newer models in that model year do show LRD tires.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #3

most likely they are the correct tire and rims . seems they put on the minimum allowable to get you buy . have you checked the rim should be stamped on the back side of the rim max weight if they are 1850 you can still up grade tires as long as to stay under the total weight rating of 9250 for all 4 , or 1850 per . looks like you max out at 7900 GVWR for the TT so going to d's and 65 psi would be fine IMO
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
It looks like your trailer was in production before the 10% increase in tire load capacity recommendation by RVIA was applied. Specs for newer models in that model year do show LRD tires.

Yes, it probably was. I took delivery of mine in April of 17. I was just hoping that Coachmen would say that they made a mistake and would at least make an offer to help with an upgrade.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #5

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
most likely they are the correct tire and rims . seems they put on the minimum allowable to get you buy . have you checked the rim should be stamped on the back side of the rim max weight if they are 1850 you can still up grade tires as long as to stay under the total weight rating of 9250 for all 4 , or 1850 per . looks like you max out at 7900 GVWR for the TT so going to d's and 65 psi would be fine IMO
Mr. M, could you please tell me where you are getting the 9250 number. I get 7400 lbs. if staying with the factory wheel and 8600 if I were to upgrade to a 15x6 with 5x41/2 bolt pattern. This is something I am looking into as I am not certain the current rims can handle 65 psi. I did speak with Goodyear today and they told me that I could run the Endurance at 55-60 psi and not ruin or harm the tire. At one time I did speak with HiSpec who manufactures the rims and they told me it should work at 65 psi. The problem is I can not find my rim on their website.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

[QUOTE=cliffy49;2083959]Mr. M, could you please tell me where you are getting the 9250 number. I get 7400 lbs. if staying with the factory wheel and 8600 if I were to upgrade to a 15x6 with 5x41/2 bolt pattern. This is something I am looking into as I am not certain the current rims can handle 65 psi. I did speak with Goodyear today and they told me that I could run the Endurance at 55-60 psi and not ruin or harm the tire. At one time I did speak with HiSpec who manufactures the rims and they told me it should work at 65 psi. The problem is I can not find my rim on their website.[/QUOTe

Correct wrote down the wrong number . not sure how i got to that dang calculator didn't correct me for adding the wrong numbers
Old 04-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Mr. M, could you please tell me where you are getting the 9250 number. I get 7400 lbs. if staying with the factory wheel and 8600 if I were to upgrade to a 15x6 with 5x41/2 bolt pattern. This is something I am looking into as I am not certain the current rims can handle 65 psi. I did speak with Goodyear today and they told me that I could run the Endurance at 55-60 psi and not ruin or harm the tire. At one time I did speak with HiSpec who manufactures the rims and they told me it should work at 65 psi. The problem is I can not find my rim on their website.

the rims are weight rated so if you don't go over the max weight the rims don't care if you have 55 or 65 psi in them nor will a rim fail by 10 lbs of psi change . it's the load that counts .
Old 04-29-2019, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
At one time I did speak with HiSpec who manufactures the rims and they told me it should work at 65 psi. The problem is I can not find my rim on their website.
That was a very poor answer from HiSpec. They are required by regulation to provide the wheel specs on demand. I would press them for an accurate answer.

Tags
tire, tires