Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

Toyhauler

I am hoping to take delivery of the Catalina 29THS that my dealer got in for me. The wife and I like the trailer layout, colors, interior and option packages. What has stopped us dead in our tracks is the inability to properly tie down my 9' long motorcycle in the 11' separate garage. I will explain so hopefully no one else has to go through the grief and aggravation both ourselves and my dealer have experienced.

The furthest forward d ring tie downs are only 8' from the rear door. Why?? Possibly because there is a 30" vapor door that could be blocked by a tie down strap up near the divider wall? Really, isn't that what the separate entry door into the garage is for guys? My dealer has removed the underbelly and advises that there is a holding tank "in the way" of drilling a hole for a properly chocked down bike in the center area of the garage. He is going to hopefully mount two more d rings outboard of the tank into the steel bracing. I have found a "bolt it on" setup that can work using the proposed new tie downs.

I have notified Forest River of this, but have not received an answer yet as to why I have to spend hundred's to properly mount my toy in their "toyhauler". Please be aware of this issue if you are considering this new model. I will definitely advise on the final fix and FR response.
alb2tpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #2

UPDATE....

Forest River had a very positive response in regards to the necessary modifications to carry a "normal sized" motorcycle properly. They sent the dealer specific technical drawings to measure twice, drill once on their dime. After 2 plus hours of two men working in very tight spots (blood was shed) the D rings were installed and the bike tie down rack was fitted. Trailer and bike made it home just fine.

The national sales manager also said he had been in contact with the plant engineer to explain why this was built like this. The response was that the tanks were some of the first things installed and the flooring was later. There is currently no way for the factory to install the rings in the center. He did state they are working on a production fix. "This is how we learn about flaws in a new model". Here's to hoping it is a very short learning list....
Old 02-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

Glad to see the FR response. It is my opinion manufactures are ramping up on customer service, build design and quality. Hope the trend contiues.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

One last update.

Mike, who identified himself as the national sales mgr. for Coachman, had promised a reply in regards to possibly participating in a goodwill adjustment towards my $500.00 chock rack system I had to buy in order to properly tie down my bike. I already bought a $100.00 one for my cargo trailer (sold) and could not use it in the 29THS. After 2 emails that were not responded to asking about his decision, I called him direct. Left a message. Received a call from a local representative asking me "what's going on with your trailer". He played dumb but suddenly wised up when I told him Mike knows exactly what is going on. Very long story short, Coachmen decided to not do any adjustment. I can live with that decision, but not the lack of communication, as promised. I am now an unhappy customer over a couple hundred dollars+/- which stemmed from a very poor design on a "Toy Hauler".

Seems to me they did what they had to do for me to take delivery (5 1/2 hr ordeal) and then totally dropped me. I believe it is important for those considering this model to make sure you do everything possible to confirm everything is in working order and functions properly because it sure seems you will have a much more difficult time getting Coachmen to even respond to you after you hitch up.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
Old 03-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb2tpa View Post
One last update.

Mike, who identified himself as the national sales mgr. for Coachman, had promised a reply in regards to possibly participating in a goodwill adjustment towards my $500.00 chock rack system I had to buy in order to properly tie down my bike. I already bought a $100.00 one for my cargo trailer (sold) and could not use it in the 29THS. After 2 emails that were not responded to asking about his decision, I called him direct. Left a message. Received a call from a local representative asking me "what's going on with your trailer". He played dumb but suddenly wised up when I told him Mike knows exactly what is going on. Very long story short, Coachmen decided to not do any adjustment. I can live with that decision, but not the lack of communication, as promised. I am now an unhappy customer over a couple hundred dollars+/- which stemmed from a very poor design on a "Toy Hauler".

Seems to me they did what they had to do for me to take delivery (5 1/2 hr ordeal) and then totally dropped me. I believe it is important for those considering this model to make sure you do everything possible to confirm everything is in working order and functions properly because it sure seems you will have a much more difficult time getting Coachmen to even respond to you after you hitch up.
What was wrong or lacking in the TH ? Just read your other comments . not seeing a problem . i added the HF chock for my bike works great . you can't rely on the d rings alone they are just tied down point not meant to be the only thing holding your bike up . the HF chock works great i also put down a strip of e channel for securing the back wheel from sliding out . over 25000 miles with out issues and when the bike is out i can pulll up the HF chock and store it so i can use the garage as my office /mud room
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #6

What is lacking is, you cannot drill into the floor anywhere near the center of the forward part of the garage to pull the wheel into the chock due to a tank mounted just below it. Obviously, with a fairing and side bags you need to be near the center so the bike does not hit the sidewalls and you are balancing the load.

Major design flaw which Coachmen has acknowledged and paid my dealer to install outboard D rings for my chock rack setup . Factory is "working on a running change" at the plant.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
Old 03-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb2tpa View Post
What is lacking is, you cannot drill into the floor anywhere near the center of the forward part of the garage to pull the wheel into the chock due to a tank mounted just below it. Obviously, with a fairing and side bags you need to be near the center so the bike does not hit the sidewalls and you are balancing the load.

Major design flaw which Coachmen has acknowledged and paid my dealer to install outboard D rings for my chock rack setup . Factory is "working on a running change" at the plant.
sure you can , my fuel tank is right below the forward center on my garage on my 29hsf . It only takes a few 1.5 " lag bolts to hold it in place . been that way on my unit since i got it .my bike weighs close to 900 lbs and it doesn't move . Since the lag bolts are there just to keep it from sliding one way or another . it's not pulling up from the floor . one could set a few dowel pins with the same effect
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #8

Not sure why you were asking for a "goodwill" payment for the motorcycle wheel chock you bought. I thought what they did for you for an after market install was more than enough.

Toy haulers are made for all toys and don't have motorcycle wheel chocks installed. ...or I couldn't get my golf cart, ATV, or even maybe my kayaks loaded, though mine does not have a separate garage area. Wanted it that way so I wouldn't be limited in length.
rockinreel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toyhauler