Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Perhaps renting may help getting an idea of what your vehicle is capable of -- I am not sure how far away this place is but they rent camper trailers:
RV Vacation Rentals-Oklahoma RV Rentals | Motorhome, Travel Trailer, and Pop-up RV Rentals in Oklahoma

PT Avenger 33BHS-TE
GMC 2500HD SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 with 4.10's
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
I hope I don't get kicked off the forum for this, but have you checked out the Trailmanor line ?? The 2619 or 2720 (not SL or SD models) would sleep 6, no canvas, and tows great since they folds down. We had a 2720, but had to give it up because of the wife's bad back....the fridge and much of the storage is down low, and the beds are high.

The other big drawback is they are expensive new !! We were lucky to find a great used 2720 when we bought.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
If you can rent or test drive the camper you want then do it. We were pleasantly surprised at how well our v6 explorer tows. We don't ever plan on high altitude towing either. You might want to look at a vibe too. I am not sure if the have a floor plan to suit you. They are bigger than an r-pod (nicer bathroom too) but lightweight and less wind resistant than a full front trailer.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
I agree with all these opinions. If you really are just starting out I would look at a minimum investment until you really know your TV capabilities. Make sure the trailers weight is stated loaded with water, gas, food and everything you need for fun! A lot depends on where you want to go. Capacity is seriously degraded if you hope to go uphill from OK! If you are finding all else equal in your choices except brand name maybe you could look up resale value for each brand. Some identical rigs with different "names" re-sell better than others in another part of the country! Anyway welcome to the lifestyle. Great way to share family time!

Shortribs is offline   Reply With Quote