Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

2015 Legacy RB Slide Troubles

I had a problem with full wall slide on my 2015 Rear Bath Legacy. Upon retracting the slide, when it had about a foot to go, the slide tilted down, causing the refrigerator to tilt forward, pulling out the trim at the top of the wall. The panel between the fridge and the dinette pulled out from the wall. Forrest River paid to have this fixed by my dealer and also included installing slide plates on the bottom of the slide. However, when I picked it up, I noticed that the slide rubbed and scratched the floor when being retracted. The bottom of the slide did not contact the floor until the slide had about a foot to go for full retraction, then it seemed to drop down. The rubbing occurred from the dinette towards the front. The rear did not rub. Prior to having the slide plates installed, the slide would contact the floor when retracted, but did not cause any deep scratches. So it appears the repair and slide plate installation did something to the alignment of the slide. Took my Legacy back to my dealer, who after consulting with Forest River, installed three sets of additional rollers on the bottom of the inside edge of the slide. These rollers roll along the floor and keep the edge of the slide off the floor as intended. Time will tell if the rollers will begin to rub or scratch the floor. I have replacement tiles but decided to see how this works before using them. This appears to have corrected the problem.

Here are pics of the damage caused by the slide tilting:
Attachment 136081

Attachment 136082

Hard to see, but here is pic of one of the scratches on the floor:
Attachment 136083

Here are pics of fixed paneling and trim:
Attachment 136084

Attachment 136085

Here is pic of slide plates:

Attachment 136086

Here is pic of one of the new rollers, camera is resting on floor looking towards couch:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	136097

Here is pic looking under dinette seat:

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	136098

Here is pic from above looking down into dinette seat storage; this is best pic to see rollers:

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	136099
Old 04-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #2

Hmm not all pics are showing up. Here are pics showing the damage:

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	136101

Name:	IMG_1337.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	136102Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1418.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	136103
Old 04-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

Here is fixed paneling, trim, and slide plates:

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	136104Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	136105Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1404.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	136106
Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #4

2015 Legacy RB Slide Troubles

Guess I need remedial training on posting on the forum.....
Old 04-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #5

From the pics it looks like a great repair. I really like the plates on the underside of the slide that ride on the rollers.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

I just finished installing slide plates under our full wall slide, about 13 of them. Was quite a job but it really reduced the effort required to move the full wall slide.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #7

Captnrick3, why/how did u use 13 plates? Does your slide have 13 rollers? Mine has 7.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJAG View Post
Captnrick3, why/how did u use 13 plates? Does your slide have 13 rollers? Mine has 7.
Mine has more, and I include the 3 that are on the inside as well, like under the stove, sink, and one other. I did not add any, just the way it was. I am hoping this slows down the wear on the schwintek gears. Always nervous about them.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #9

Captinrick3, can u tell us a little more about installing the plates? What size plate (gauge) did you use, aluminum or steel? Did you have to lift the slide to get the plates on top of the rollers and if so how did you do that. I have a 2015 and have had alignment issues with the big slide and the motors sure work to open and close. How did you attach the plates for the rollers inside the coach under the sink and table. I’d like to do this to help it move easier. Thanks
tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin View Post
Captinrick3, can u tell us a little more about installing the plates? What size plate (gauge) did you use, aluminum or steel? Did you have to lift the slide to get the plates on top of the rollers and if so how did you do that. I have a 2015 and have had alignment issues with the big slide and the motors sure work to open and close. How did you attach the plates for the rollers inside the coach under the sink and table. I’d like to do this to help it move easier. Thanks
Here goes, sorry it took me forever, our internet was down. I actually only have 9 plates total, it must have seemed like more after being on my knees all day working on it.

Prior to beginning this task I confirmed my plans and materials with the FR factory service folks since I know they are making this same modification at the factory if need be.

I bought a sheet of 1/8" thick aluminum at a metal shop and had them shear the plates to size for me. I drilled and countersunk mounting holes about every 3 or 4" along the edges of all plates. The plates are all 8" wide. I ran them from the outer edge of the slide (for the outer rollers) and they run about 2 to 3" past the roller. It is best to measure each rig to get the lengths since every rig is a little different I believe. I made a T shaped block out of 4 X 4's to jack up the slide and cut a 1" deep groove in the top just big enough for the plate to slip through, the bottom of the T rested on a bottle jack. I Jacked up the slide approx. 3/16" or just barely enough for the plate to slide between the roller and bottom of the slide out. Once in place I attached using 3/4" long flat head stainless sheet metal or wood screws (forgot which type I used). I did not need to adjust anything, the slide works with less effort due to the reduced friction as soon as I finished. The only other issue is the rubber wiper on the bottom of the slide had a tiny gap when I was done, could see light between the slide and the wiper. I bought some 1" wide by 1/4" thick garage door weather striping at Home Depot and attached to the bottom of the slide above the wiper, seemed to do the trick, not sure how it will hold up but it's cheap and easy to put in.

Now have a couple trips under our belt with this improvement and all seems to be good. I still think this big slide is badly under engineered with the schwintek mechanism, however, reducing the friction can only help. It is a significant task but worth it, glad I did it. One picture here of the underside of the slide should help. You can see the roller track mark on the front plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1053.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	157588  
Old 12-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #11

Thanks Captnrick, one last question. There are 2 roller inside the coach, one under the dining table and the other under the stove. I can see one plate on your rig that I think is for the dining roller. Can you explained how you installed this. Did you only screw on the exterior end of the plate? Did you have to lift the inside edge of the slide to get it on top of the inside roller? Thanks for your help, I’m going to do this in the next few weeks.
tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin View Post
Thanks Captnrick, one last question. There are 2 roller inside the coach, one under the dining table and the other under the stove. I can see one plate on your rig that I think is for the dining roller. Can you explained how you installed this. Did you only screw on the exterior end of the plate? Did you have to lift the inside edge of the slide to get it on top of the inside roller? Thanks for your help, I’m going to do this in the next few weeks.
Good catch, I should have mentioned them. I made 2 shorter plates for these, just based their length on the distance from the roller (or inside edge of the slide) to about 1 inch past the wear pattern under the slide. Those rollers have little weight on them when the slide is out, so I just used a small pry bar with a wooden spacer under it to protect the floor, and had a helper apply a little pressure to slightly raise the slide just enough to insert the plate. I just attached them with screws as far as possible, there are no screws all the way under by the rollers and it does not appear to be an issue having the inner half of those two plates unattached.

I hope all this helps and you have a good outcome!

Tags
slide