Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #1

Auto Generator Start

Been playing around with the AGS. What battery and temp settings are folks using when you enable AGS? Tx...

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
padcarroll

I set battery at 12v based on others in this forum. Temp depends on conditions. If we leave our dog inside, I set to 75. Otherwise we set it to 85 to be semi cool.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

Mine is set at 11v and 80 degrees. We leave the dog in there when we're gone, but 80 is plenty OK with her.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #4

I have a new-to-us 2014 Legacy 340BH. I've been reading the manuals about the AGS and Inverter/charging systems as well as this forum. So, yesterday I did some checking on the remote control for current settings. While the AGS is currently off, the start up is set for 11.0v and the inventor Low Battery Cut Out is set at 11.7v. This seems backwards to me. Like this, as the batteries run down, the inverter will cut out leaving the coach running on only its 12v systems (i.e. no refrigerator) for a VERY long time until the battery voltage made it to the AGS set point of 11.0v.

It sounds like 11 or 11.2 is a good point to set the AGS but what is typical for the Low Batt Cut Out on the inverter?
Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by srappleby View Post
I have a new-to-us 2014 Legacy 340BH. I've been reading the manuals about the AGS and Inverter/charging systems as well as this forum. So, yesterday I did some checking on the remote control for current settings. While the AGS is currently off, the start up is set for 11.0v and the inventor Low Battery Cut Out is set at 11.7v. This seems backwards to me. Like this, as the batteries run down, the inverter will cut out leaving the coach running on only its 12v systems (i.e. no refrigerator) for a VERY long time until the battery voltage made it to the AGS set point of 11.0v.

It sounds like 11 or 11.2 is a good point to set the AGS but what is typical for the Low Batt Cut Out on the inverter?
That's why you can change the settings, BUT....it sounds to me like the settings you mentioned would be more correct. I would expect the inverter to shut off earlier in order to prevent drainage not the battery more quickly. Then the AGS could kick in before the batteries got too low for the other stuff. Just my thoughts.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #6

we've found the following to be best for us, our coach is almost identical to your Legacy...

AGS... Enabled
Voltage.... 12.0
Temp(don't use)
LBCO ..... 11.5
Run Time.... 30 mins
Shore Max... 40amps
Type: change from RV to Other

The AGS starts when it reaches 12.0 volts, after two minutes. This provides plenty of 'cranking power' to the generator. I set the LBCO to 11.5 'just in case' the AGS can/does not start, so that the batteries will not be so depleted that the generator could no be started manually.
The LBCO is also a physical indicator to us, while we are in the coach, that the batteries are getting too low - the 120v fridge, TVs, etc would all cutoff at the same time. Otherwise, there's no good way to know when you batteries are too low, until it's too late.

Our AGS run time is set to 30minutes. This might seem short to most, but I don't like the generator to run for a long length of time, since it gets started at 12.0 volts anyway. It doesn't take as long as you might think to get the batteries fairly charged if at 40amps. Our experience is that once we 'go to bed', the AGS kicks in maybe twice during the overnight hours, for only 30 minutes each.

I made sure also that I changed the 'type' setting(under Tech button, I think) to OTHER, instead of the default RV setting. This means that if you manually turn on/off the generator, it will not override your ENABLE setting on your AGS, otherwise it will and your AGS would not then kick in later.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #7

We dry camp several times a year at bluegrass festivals, and use the AGS quite a bit.

I set the volts at 11.6, temp. at 80 if we are away and the dog is in there. I have the run time set at 2 hours so when it starts in the morning the batteries are well into the absorb charge range before it shuts off. I have 500 watts of solar on the roof, so on a sunny day during the winter the gen never starts after the initial morning charge unless it's a hot day and the AC is needed. I always have the AGS on and temp. set even if hooked up in hot weather in case the power fails while we are away from the rig. Just my two cents and we are very happy with the way that entire system performs.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll play with the settings more this week while we are in the unit. Got a 5-night stay planned. Longest so far
Old 03-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #9

AGS

I have had some trouble with AGS, it seems that even after I enable it it goes back to disabled, Might be that I have not set run time. I'll check to see if that is the problem.

Another question is why you chose the voltage you did, I read that when a battery goes under 12V you start to impact the life of the battery.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjoe3 View Post
I have had some trouble with AGS, it seems that even after I enable it it goes back to disabled, Might be that I have not set run time. I'll check to see if that is the problem.

Another question is why you chose the voltage you did, I read that when a battery goes under 12V you start to impact the life of the battery.

Change the "Type" to Other instead of RV. The user manual described that it will disable the AGS if you manually start or stop the genset in the RV Setting.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #11

AGS

Thanks srappleby I'll give that a try.

Tags
generator