Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Awning LED Strip

Dos anyone know if this is replaceable independent of the awning itself? I haven't been able to take a close look yet.

Also, how fast/slow does your awning extend/close? It seems very slow in comparison to my old Rockwood Roo 19.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

typically the LED strip is in an aluminum or plastic channel that it just fits (slides) into and is replaceable... slide out old slide in new

without a stopwatch on it I would say it retracts or goes out in 10-20 seconds... It is a little slower on battery only...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

X2 on the 20 second estimate for extending or retracting the awning. As for the LED strip, I haven't looked that closely at it, but I thought it was just an LED strip stuck on inside the typical awning channel.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #4

Did your led lights come with the coach? My legacy does not have lights but I'd like to add them to the awning roller using the accessories track that is on there. Any suggestions on brand? How about powering the lights? 12v or 120v?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by srappleby View Post
Did your led lights come with the coach? My legacy does not have lights but I'd like to add them to the awning roller using the accessories track that is on there. Any suggestions on brand? How about powering the lights? 12v or 120v?
Our Legacy came with 12v LED lights along the canopy. They are powered straight from the porch light; flip the switch and you get both lights on.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
My legacy does not have lights but I'd like to add them to the awning roller using the accessories track that is on there. Any suggestions on brand? How about powering the lights? 12v or 120v?
are you wanting the LED lights at the end of the awning arm hung from the roller?

Camco sells a plastic lamp holder that slides into the accessory track on the awning. The hangers come like 3 feet long with 4 or 5 in a package. You slide them into the awning arm. They hold round tube LED light strings, like they often sell during Xmas season. I have bought the hangers off amazon. I use the 120VAC type round flexible tubing LED lights. I hang them from the holder and plug in via an extension cord wound around the awning arm. I remove the lights when we leave, but I roll up the hangers in the awning.

I actually have three different strings of lights... all red, all blue and varied.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Our Legacy came with 12v LED lights along the canopy. They are powered straight from the porch light; flip the switch and you get both lights on.

That's what I'm looking for, an OEM type of add on that is specific for the type of awning. Prefer not to buy the "Universal" type that are sold online. So, are your lights on the roller? We are looking for an install such that when we are sitting outside watching a movie, the lights are behind us, not in our eyes. Also, how long have you had the lights? Local dealers are telling me they replace those lights about every year and that they are not worth it in the long run.

Tags
awning, led