Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

Basement refer/cooler

So I think this is something I would finally like to tackle.

I'm thinking either in pass through compartment or either large compartment forward of door.

Anyone know of any pullout trays that would work with our door/compartment setup?
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #2

I'd also like to re-arrange the basement compartments to upgrade the slider trays and just make more efficient use of the area in general.
doofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofoo View Post
I'd also like to re-arrange the basement compartments to upgrade the slider trays and just make more efficient use of the area in general.
The thing I'm having a hard time determining is the floor is below the door opening so an pullout system would either need to be shimmed or mounted to sidewall some how.

Another area in going to take a look at to see if it is usable for anything is the passenger side wetbay. Not how much space is behind that white paneling.

I want to do the fridge/cooler because I'm always hauling coolers that are just as big and I get sick of buying ice and draining/cleaning stagnant water etc....
Old 05-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #4

I have compartment envy of all the other motor homes vs our puny little doors. The bus style big huge hinges doors seem so much nicer however for the money I just couldn't justify it.

Do you have any fridges in mind that would fit? Is love to do a beverage center of some sort for outside access
Old 05-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
I have compartment envy of all the other motor homes vs our puny little doors. The bus style big huge hinges doors seem so much nicer however for the money I just couldn't justify it.

Do you have any fridges in mind that would fit? Is love to do a beverage center of some sort for outside access
There are several of the dometic or waeco fridge/coolers that fit the compartments I mentioned and can be hard wired in easily. The hard part is finding a suitable pull out tray.

I'm sick of leaking coolers and all the other issues of daily ice and stagnant water on extended trips.

I want cold low maintenance beer!
Old 05-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

This doesn't sound like something anyone else has considered!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:

To be more specific in my answer I believe the dometic cfx-28, cfx-35 or cfx-40 would all fit and norcold makes similar sizes as well. All get plenty cold however the dometic use a waeco compressor which are the best for this type of fridge cooler.

I just need to figure out the tray, really don't know where to start. I would like for it to pull out of the door opening.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

Anyone think the slide tray in pass through bay can be raised say 2-3 inches?

I haven't really looked at how this is installed on the walls.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

The problem with raising the tray might be clearing the center floor tunnel of the RV chassis. Mine has very little clearance at that point as it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
The problem with raising the tray might be clearing the center floor tunnel of the RV chassis. Mine has very little clearance at that point as it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)
I seem to have at least 8 inches maybe closer to 12 from tray to ceiling in center of compartment.

Because the pullout that I want to install needs to be raised roughly 3 inches to clear door frame I wanted to raise existing tray the same amount so I still have full use of it without hitting the refer.

I only store flag poles, square ladder and other low profile items on it like folding tables etc.... So I don't need a ton of room above frame rail.

Just trying to determine best use of space without having to make sacrifices.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
I seem to have at least 8 inches maybe closer to 12 from tray to ceiling in center of compartment.

Because the pullout that I want to install needs to be raised roughly 3 inches to clear door frame I wanted to raise existing tray the same amount so I still have full use of it without hitting the refer.

I only store flag poles, square ladder and other low profile items on it like folding tables etc.... So I don't need a ton of room above frame rail.

Just trying to determine best use of space without having to make sacrifices.
Wow! I only have like 3" above the tray at the midline of the coach. Maybe mine just came in the higher position. If so, you shouldn't have a problem raising it.
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Wow! I only have like 3" above the tray at the midline of the coach. Maybe mine just came in the higher position. If so, you shouldn't have a problem raising it.
The tracks for the tray lay right on the chassis rails in the middle. There is some sort of electrical gizmo mounted to the ceiling in that lower area as well.

I know the rails where accessible are screwed into walls. I haven't explored in the the center out of reach area but If they are screwed to wall there as well that would be a problem and poor design.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
The tracks for the tray lay right on the chassis rails in the middle. There is some sort of electrical gizmo mounted to the ceiling in that lower area as well.

I know the rails where accessible are screwed into walls. I haven't explored in the the center out of reach area but If they are screwed to wall there as well that would be a problem and poor design.
The electrical gizmo on top of that compartment is the brain for the equalizer leveling system. An very expensive circuit board.