Old 10-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Battery Power at Start up..

During a recent trip I found that starting the RV after a 3 day weekend seemed a bit difficult. It did start but seemed low on battery power...I did not use the AUX switch though...

When I did start it the dash showed low battery power ...hmmm and then for 2-3 minutes the charging gauge on the dash showed no power..all of a sudden it came up to charging...then I checked the dash and it showed 13.9 volts charging...

I have not had a diesel before so this is new to me...morning I did this it was 40s...over night...

I did find out reading the forums that this coach has a device that charges the chassis batteries after the coach ones are fully charged as well. Did check that yesterday and it was showing 13.4 on the batteries when plugged to shore power.

Another issue I found out is that the step light under it comes off the chassis battery...when left out while camping...I am not happy with the lights ability and may unhook it completely.

Have any of you had any of these issues?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #2

Once your engine starts when the temperature is low, the air heaters will continue to cycle on and off for a bit. The colder the temperature, the more they will cycle until the ECM determines the intake is sufficiently warmed up. These heaters draw far more than the alternator can put out. Your amp meter will cycle up and down, if you put the coach in gear you will get a low voltage warning. All normal. When starting cold just turn the key on until the preheat light goes out, start, then once it starts, go get another cup of coffee until the heaters stop cycling. Sounds like all is good to me. Remember your engine is still on the tight side and will not break in for many miles.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #3

Capt...thank you for the update. As I said I am new to the Diesel world...I really did not get much training on the coach from the dealer...they did well on the Coach items but not as much on the chassis...been reading as much as possible..

I am taking the RV out tonight for fuel and propane and will look at those items you mentioned...I will let her warm up even more on the first start as you mentioned...
Old 10-16-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, captnrick3 - We're in a state park this week with no sewer, so when I cranked the coach this morning at about 50F, I kept an eye on the ammeter and saw exactly what you were describing. I had gotten the low voltage warning for a few seconds last week, so your explanation us much appreciated. Keep the training hints coming! 😎

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #5

Capt...I also want to thank you...I did as you said...started her up...watched the voltage...allowed her to get good and warm and waited to coolant reached 140 deg. Low battery light did not come on...this weekend we will be camping and will plug the engine heater in as we expect 32 deg temps at the camp site Sunday morning.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
Capt...I also want to thank you...I did as you said...started her up...watched the voltage...allowed her to get good and warm and waited to coolant reached 140 deg. Low battery light did not come on...this weekend we will be camping and will plug the engine heater in as we expect 32 deg temps at the camp site Sunday morning.
Perfect. I have not used that engine heater yet, coming attraction later this winter. Engine will run fine when cold, just need to warm up long enough for the intake heaters to stop cycling.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Fulltime in our Berkshire

I just took mine in under warranty for those exact symptoms.

Prior to taking it in, I did a load test on the batteries and it read good.

When I took it to Freightliner, they found both my chassis batteries were bad. One of them had a dead short.

With the new batteries, symptoms disappeared.

Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power