Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Best Wax or Polish

This past weekend I chose to wax my RV while I have indoor storage available. Also while it rained for 3 days this allowed me something to do other that home projects.

My past RV was a gel coated Holiday Rambler that was built prior to full body paints. With the decision to buy a new RV I wanted to protect the finish as best as possible. I chose the product called Duragloss clear coat polish. Now its called polish but does not have any abrasives. I chose to apply by hand and also remove it by hand...I am not a professional with a buffer so I chose not to use one.

The shine is amazing. Product will last 6 months and also protects from UV light issues and fading of the paint. I am not a rep for the product but I can tell you that I have custom Harleys and have tried just about everything . It works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12108738_10206462256268493_6329426226819043781_n.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	90729  
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

I am impressed. Where do you get it?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

Amazon was the best place...like $12 a bottle
Old 10-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #4

I'm in. Will order and give it a try when we get home in a few weeks. Been trying to decide what was best and I like the sound of that. In Iowa tonight, nice to be back in shorts again after the cold further north.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #5

I swear by Carnauba types of wax, easy to apply on and off with no buffer needed.

Carnauba Creme Wax 16 0z. - Woody Wax CARCW - iboats.com
rbreen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #6

Wax wears away quickly....this product is good for 6 months and protects against UV rays....no base wax does that....I also have built and rode custom Harley's with very expensive paint and will not use just wax
Old 10-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #7

I don't know what the prior owner put on one spot of my Surveyor, but wow, that one spot still looks like factory new. I'll have to ask him. I'm thinking someone demonstrated something to him and he didn't bite. Whatever it is must be some good stuff. I've been wanting to get mine all shined up, but we're still drying out down here.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #8

Which one did you use?
105 or 111 ?
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

The best wax ever is called Nu Finish. Comes in an orange bottle. It lasts and lasts. I put it on all my vehicles. It says it is good for one year. I believe it! You can get it most anywhere.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
The best wax ever is called Nu Finish. Comes in an orange bottle. It lasts and lasts. I put it on all my vehicles. It says it is good for one year. I believe it! You can get it most anywhere.

I've been using NuFinish exclusively for 30+years and obviously very happy with the results. It's easy on and easy off. Don't get it on any plastics, as it's there for life.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
I am impressed. Where do you get it?
I'm impressed with anyone who can tackle such a job!!! You are my hero, good work?? Want to do my "small" TT?
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
I also use this. Started using it 10+ years ago when Consumer Reports said it was clearly better than all the comparables. I use it on my Bright Red '85 Porsche 911, my 2007 Jet Black Mercedes Benz and our 2014 White Toyota Camry. They all have the original paint jobs and are flawless. I have the RV done by a contractor and he at least used Nu Finish one of the times I checked. I frankly can't tell the difference across lots of polishes, but this one goes on and off easy and lasts for 4 seasons. It is not a wax and contains none. It is a polish. Label says it can be used in sunlight! Never tried that.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #13

Well use what you want....but the coach comes with four coats of clear....Nu Finish is a polish whir abrasives...once you use it on a fully painted clear coat...tell me how many scratches you will have....like I said I have many custom Harley's I have built and ride....lots of clear....never use an abrasive polish ....my coach will look like new without scratches for many years...
Old 10-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #14

The bottle specifically says For Clear Coat and no scratches. Since I have used it on a jet Black Benz for a few years, I think it would show up pretty quickly either on the paint or on the rag. We are now at 20+ years on the red Porsche, and 7+ years on the Black Benz. Both of these cars look like NEW. But, not going to debate this one.... So yep. Use what you like....
Old 10-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #15

jIm....i am just aware with the new water based base coats with the solvent based clears it seems that the clear is not as hard as they use to be....but as you said enjoy what you want to use..
Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #16

I did use Nu Finish on a Red TransAm race car once. After only two races it had scratches ALL OVER IT.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
The bottle specifically says For Clear Coat and no scratches. Since I have used it on a jet Black Benz for a few years, I think it would show up pretty quickly either on the paint or on the rag. We are now at 20+ years on the red Porsche, and 7+ years on the Black Benz. Both of these cars look like NEW. But, not going to debate this one.... So yep. Use what you like....

jIm...your FR3 is not the Legacy....big difference in the outside finish...why do I say that.... Close friend has your exact coach...when you see the legacy finish you will understand
Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #18

Jim...the trams am one was dam funny
Old 10-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
jIm...your FR3 is not the Legacy....big difference in the outside finish...why do I say that.... Close friend has your exact coach...when you see the legacy finish you will understand
I would guess not. I hope you would be getting something for your $.

BTW, just did some more checking around. I ain't no polish/wax expert, but it appears that NuFinish is a "sealer" more so than a polish. This would explain to me why I never see any red on my towels after doing the Porshe. (1985 with no clear coat) Same with the black benz. As far as my FR3 goes, as I said, I let someone else do it. I can't imagine it's surface ever looking like the cars.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #20

Are we talking the Duragloss for cars or the Duragloss for V's? Ho does it work with decals, as my Nitro has plenty of them and they always seem to be the first part of the appearance that degrades in the sun. Is anyone using a different product other than polish for the decals??
40 days out 2018

Illegitmi Non Carborundum
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wax