Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 12:13 AM   #1

Captain's Chair Ultraleather Complaint

I cannot understand why Forest River used inferior Ultraleather. I have a 2014 and the material started peeling, flaking off the first year and now I sitting on cloth!
Forest River should have been proactive in replacing this crap.
I read on the forum where FR was replacing the covers but who is to say the replacement covers are any better.
Of course I'm out of the warranty period!
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 AM   #2

If your seat covers are the same as the ones replaced by FR it is not Ultraleather.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:44 AM   #3

it's not just FR, our Thor Palazzo has the same issue - it was the manufacturer of the vinyl fabric, claiming that it was 'just as good' as leather, or close to it.
Thor has told me that they were getting with the manufacturer to give me an option, but after months of reminding them, they have still not replied.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
C8dnLegacy

Just had ours replaced. The new covers are different material and feel less vinyl like. Took forever to get the seat covers from FR as they forgot to order. It cost me a lot more than I expected for labor to change the seat covers. They look great. I’m annoyed because now my bench seats have completely started peeling and the couch is starting. FR acknowledges there was a problem with seat manufacturer but still won’t do anything other than the front seats. Problem is widespread to FR, THOR, and Tiffin. Tiffin apparently took care of the problem according to my service guy and covers cost of replacing.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

OP

Thank you, for all input.
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #6

I got new front seat upholstery from FR. Decided to do the change out myself and for the record it was a very difficult job but came out good. Took me forever, I did the passenger seat, then procrastinated for months on the drivers seat until it degraded to the point of embarrassment. We dumped the jacknife sofa for a dual recliner from Rec Pro that matches close enough. I can see the dinette is now starting to show the same signs of cracking, will deal with that at some point next winter. What a pain this has been. We have had 5 rigs over the years and never changed any upholstery up until now.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
C8dnLegacy

I had my local guy do it and he said it was difficult and took a lot longer than he expected. He said he had done a number on For Tiffin as well who used the same seat manufacturer, but he said Tiffin was paying him directly under their warranty group for rigs the same age as mine. Forest River has really not handled this well. First they should have had a campaign similar to recall item on a car, and secondly they let their vendor off the hook, unlike Tiffin