Old 11-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #1

Chassis Height Specifications

Does anyone know the chassis height measurement specifications and the measurement points. I thought I had them, but can't locate.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #2

I'm trying to get the wandering under control. Tire pressures are all as required with respect to weight. Ride height is the next step for me. Anyone have the information?

Old 11-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Well I found this in an old thread elsewhere. The numbers sound familiar but I'd sure like to confirm them.

JohnB on 09/11/02 01:21pm

I don't know what a dealer would charge, but it is very easy. Mine is an XC chassis and has valves on both front bags and one on the right for the rear. The valve can be found by following the 1/8" rod up that connects them to the axle and operates the valve. The measurements for my chassis is from the bottom of the frame to the center of the lower shock mounting bolt: 10" +-1/4" front and 9 3/4" +- 1/4" rear. Always adjust the fronts first. Fully loaded and on level ground take your measurment. If adjustment is needed, loosen the 7/16" nut on the side of the valve control lever and hand operate the lever to add or exhaust air to get the proper measurement and then re-tighten the nut. That's it. Warning--Do not get rear too high as it will cause excessive driveshaft angle, vibration and possible transmission damage.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
Well I found this in an old thread elsewhere. The numbers sound familiar but I'd sure like to confirm them.

JohnB on 09/11/02 01:21pm

I don't know what a dealer would charge, but it is very easy. Mine is an XC chassis and has valves on both front bags and one on the right for the rear. The valve can be found by following the 1/8" rod up that connects them to the axle and operates the valve. The measurements for my chassis is from the bottom of the frame to the center of the lower shock mounting bolt: 10" +-1/4" front and 9 3/4" +- 1/4" rear. Always adjust the fronts first. Fully loaded and on level ground take your measurment. If adjustment is needed, loosen the 7/16" nut on the side of the valve control lever and hand operate the lever to add or exhaust air to get the proper measurement and then re-tighten the nut. That's it. Warning--Do not get rear too high as it will cause excessive driveshaft angle, vibration and possible transmission damage.
That's probably better than what I came up with which was not much. I searched the Freightliner website, I'm sure it's there somewhere but I was not able to find much. Seems like an important measurement to have since running over are large plastic bag or piece of cardboard could easily bend one of the control rods.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #5

I received the specifications direct from FL yesterday. The post I reposted was very close. 10 inches front + or - 1/4 inch, 9 1/2 rear + or - 1/4 inch is the correct specification for my chassis.

For what it is worth, my front was a full inch too high and the rear was 1/2 inch too high. The instructions FL sent me did not specify which to do first, front or rear. Since the rears have an adjustment valve/mechanism on both sides I did those first. I got the rears spot on. The fronts only have one valve/mechanism. My fronts are now set at 9 7/8 right and 10 1/8 left. I figure if you do the fronts then the rears, any adjustment in the rear could throw off one of the fronts. In actuality, I adjusted rear, then front, then rear again and then measured front again to find no adjustment needed that time.

PS If you do this, be very careful. It is not hard or any more dangerous that doing other things UNDER your rig. I aired up and put the jacks down to within 1/2 inch of the ground all the way around and also placed two heavy duty jack stands under the frame rails. I did make several trips up top to readjust the jacks following an air valve adjustment.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #6

If anyone cares, the handling is now much better.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

Thanks for the info...plan to look at mine this weekend.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
Thanks for the info...plan to look at mine this weekend.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #9

Do you mind explaining on how and where the measurements need to be taken?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Do you mind explaining on how and where the measurements need to be taken?
Look at post #3 &#5 here and I think it answers your question. If not then let me know.

Tags
cat