Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #1

Check valve for black water flush

I have a 2015 legacy and the black tank flush is not working. I’m sure it’s the check valve but I have not been able to locate it. My best guess after tracking the lines is behind the toilet but I have not been able to remove that panel, appears to be screwed from the back. That leaves removing the metal tv box for the outside tv to find it. Anyone had to have this check valve replaced and if so do you know where it is? Thanks.
tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Black tank flush doesn't have a check valve. They use what is called a anti-siphon valve, backflow preventer or vacuum breaker. Usually under the bathroom sink as it must be installed higher than the toilet bowl. Some may be installed in a wall.

In the first pic below the brass one has replaced the original, the black pipe next to it is the vent for the gray water tank. The black one in the second pic is most commonly used in RV's. You can see the bottom of the sink in the upper right of both pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAV_and_Backflow_valves.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	189688   Click image for larger version

Name:	anti-siphon.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	189689  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #3

Thanks, now I know what I’m looking for. Mine is not under the sink. The waterline is running into the wall behind the toilet, that must be where it is located. Looks like I need to pull the outside tv compartment to gain access to it.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin View Post
Thanks, now I know what I’m looking for. Mine is not under the sink. The waterline is running into the wall behind the toilet, that must be where it is located. Looks like I need to pull the outside tv compartment to gain access to it.
The black tank cleanout will not be associated with the toilet water lines or in any other way with the toilet. It is a stand alone system that has tubing from the outside direct to the black tank. There will be a vacuum breaker/check valve in series with that tubing. Does your unit happen to have a washer/dryer cabinet adjacent to the bathroom and if so might check in there for the valve. Of course, it might be where you mentioned. The valve may not look like this one but the install should be similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank cleanout1.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	189707  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #5

And when you do find it ,make sure you blow out the black tank flush line when winterizing, or you'll be replacing it again in the spring.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
And when you do find it ,make sure you blow out the black tank flush line when winterizing, or you'll be replacing it again in the spring.

I live in Wisconsin and never blow out the black tank flush. It doesn't have a check valve at the hook and is self draining. At least mine is that way and I'm going on the 5th winter. It sits outside at the campground all winter and hasn't been covered for the last 2 winters.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #7

I've never blown it out either. I'm in North East Illinois. One spring, we had a vacuum breaker failure. Water spewed out of it when I tried to flush the black tank. Seems that some water must have gotten trapped in it and froze...or maybe it was a conincidence.

Regardless, I still dont attempt to blow it out....

TMartin, FWIW, mine was very close to the black tank flush input and very far from the toilet. Hope that helps. Look for an access panel inside the camper above the black water input. Good luck.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
I have a 2015 legacy and the black tank flush is not working. I’m sure it’s the check valve but I have not been able to locate it. My best guess after tracking the lines is behind the toilet but I have not been able to remove that panel, appears to be screwed from the back. That leaves removing the metal tv box for the outside tv to find it. Anyone had to have this check valve replaced and if so do you know where it is? Thanks.
My anti siphon valve failed also, no water would go through. I did clean it out and it sort of works, good enough for now. As to location, mine was at farthest end from dump valve, other side of the unit actually as the tank pretty much goes from side to side and is somewhat narrow. It makes sense that it would enter from the opposite end as it is supposed to flush. Grab a flashlight and keep looking for it at the other end of tank from discharge area. If you can see where a blue pex line goes into the tank it will be close and also higher than the tank itself.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

Couple of suggestions that may help. Our last motorhome, a Dynamax. The black flush never worked from day one. The valve was installed backwards.

I think if you look outside in your water bay, you will find the valve there. It doesn't look there is much room for it to be in the bathroom except for under the sink. If it's not under the sink, check out in the water bay behind the white board the filter and water connections are mounted on.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #10

I finally found the black water flush anti siphon in my 2015 legacy. It’s in the bedroom behind the access panel for the shower controls.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #11

Glad you found it. I was reading your post and just about to answer when I see you found the valve location. Hopefully you were able to fix it.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
I finally found the black water flush anti siphon in my 2015 legacy. It’s in the bedroom behind the access panel for the shower controls.

I know this post is old but you just saved me hrs of work and frustration. I had the same problem.
Thank You!
Favfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #13

After replacing the anti siphon valve, my tank was still not flushing. I found the jet in the top of the black tank was clogged. It’s located on the passenger side on the rear top of the black tank. It has 3 Phillips screws holding it in place and a lot of soft non hardening sealer. I removed the jet and used a drill to open all of the holes in it. I doubled the size of the holes in the jet and it works fine now.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Black tank flush doesn't have a check valve. They use what is called a anti-siphon valve, backflow preventer or vacuum breaker. Usually under the bathroom sink as it must be installed higher than the toilet bowl. Some may be installed in a wall.

In the first pic below the brass one has replaced the original, the black pipe next to it is the vent for the gray water tank. The black one in the second pic is most commonly used in RV's. You can see the bottom of the sink in the upper right of both pics.
I know this is an old thread, but my 2020 Cedar Creek black tank flush anti-syphon valve started leaking today as I was flushing the tank. It looks just like the valve in the second picture. Where can I buy a replacement?

Thanks.
Notch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:57 PM   #15

You should be able to pick up a brass vacuum breaker, like the one posted earlier in this thread, at most any big box hardware store. Benefit of the brass ones, if it fails, you can pick up a rebuild kit.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
You should be able to pick up a brass vacuum breaker, like the one posted earlier in this thread, at most any big box hardware store. Benefit of the brass ones, if it fails, you can pick up a rebuild kit.
I think brass is probably the way to go as it seem like the reviews on the black plastic valves are not very good; according to the Amazon reviews they tend to leak out of the top just like mine is doing now.

I wonder if the brass piece is plug and play, or if it needs adapting?
Notch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch15 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but my 2020 Cedar Creek black tank flush anti-syphon valve started leaking today as I was flushing the tank. It looks just like the valve in the second picture. Where can I buy a replacement?

Thanks.
Amazon
Old 12-04-2023, 08:40 AM   #18

Just put this on my to do list, brass. Looks like a pex fitting will be needed for my camper.

https://www.amazon.com/Cash-Acme-173...df33c3c61&th=1
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:33 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post

I know this thread is old but for those reading along, this is not quite true.
The black tank anti-siphon does indeed have a check valve built into it.

Under normal use when flushing the black tank, water pressure opens the check valve and when needed, the built in check valve stops backflow of the liquid (coming from the black tank) and then opens the vacuum breaker to allow air in to drain the line.

The black plastic ones often leak because the check valve gets stuck and water then comes out the vacuum breaker.

There also have been multiple reports of these being plumbed in backwards from the factory and not allowing water to pass through to flush the black tank. If they didn't have a check valve, it would not matter which way they were plumbed. They have an arrow marking flow for a reason.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:52 AM   #20
waybeck2018

There also have been multiple reports of these being plumbed in backwards from the factory and not allowing water to pass through to flush the black tank. If they didn't have a check valve, it would not matter which way they were plumbed. They have an arrow marking flow for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Best answer..pay attention when installing it.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, check, flush, valve, water