Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 PM   #1
US MARINE

Def refil pump install

The way the DEF tank in the Legacy is not mounted low enough to easily get all the DEF poured into the tank. It requires you to hold a heavy tank in the air and even then it can get messy when trying to get the last little bit out. To cure that issue I took a water pump and mounted it in the compartment next door, installed a switch, drilled two holes through the compartment bulkhead, ran the two hoses to suck and fill. The one with the PVC is small enough to fit into the DEF tank and the other long enough to go into a DEF refill bottle while sitting on the ground. It takes about 10 seconds to empty the refill bottle dry and no mess at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	196536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	196537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	196538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0624.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	196539  
MarineOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
US MARINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
The way the DEF tank in the Legacy is not counted low enough to easily get all the DEF poured into the tank. It requires you to hold a heavy tank in the air and even then it can get messy when trying to get the last little bit out. To cure that issue I took a water pump and mounted it in the compartment next door, installed a switch, drilled two holes through the compartment bulkhead, rant the two hoses to suck and fill. The one with the PVC is small enough to fit into the DEF tank and the other long enough to go into a DEF refill bottle while sitting on the ground. It takes about 10 seconds to empty the refill bottle dry and no mess at all.
Sorry about the bad spelling. The system wouldn't let me edit. It should read ........is not MOUNTED low enough. and..... bulkhead, RAN the two........
Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry about the bad spelling. The system wouldn't let me edit. It should read ........is not MOUNTED low enough. and..... bulkhead, RAN the two........
The system will allow you to edit your own post within the first 120 minutes. After that, you can ask a moderator (use the Report function or PM a site team member) to turn on the edit function. I'll make these changes.
Dan
Site Team

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

Why not just go to a truck stop and fill up at the pump. Usually a lot cheaper.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #5

Using the pump at filling stations isn't always easy with some motorhomes. On some the nozzle must be maneuvered with contortions .

MarineOne presents a solution that can help many motorhome owners.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Using the pump at filling stations isn't always easy with some motorhomes. On some the nozzle must be maneuvered with contortions .

MarineOne presents a solution that can help many motorhome owners.
Thank you for the insight. Wouldn't know that there was a difference between the fill on my TV and motorhomes.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Thank you for the insight. Wouldn't know that there was a difference between the fill on my TV and motorhomes.
Yup, the reason I know is because of all the posts I have seen due to owners having difficulty. Some had to make access hatches larger.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Yup, the reason I know is because of all the posts I have seen due to owners having difficulty. Some had to make access hatches larger.
Not a mh but my chevy is under the hood on the passenger firewall.. Can't use the pumps because their hoses are only a few feet long..

It always amazed me how much effort they put into making these vehicles yet they never think about something so simple like filling the fuel, Def or changing the oil!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
RCW

Great mod! It's crazy where some of the fill points are on these. Just make sure to flush the pump with water after each use.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
US MARINE

[QUOTE=ChooChooMan74;2023161]Why not just go to a truck stop and fill up at the pump. Usually a lot cheaper.

Not sure where your DEF tank is but mine is on the right side of my rig and I have never seen a DEF pump on the that side. Its always on the left side. Truckers get a bit POed if you drive into the pump backwards. But rest assured if I ever find one on the right side as Im filling my fuel tank I will fill my DEF as well.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
US MARINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
Great mod! It's crazy where some of the fill points are on these. Just make sure to flush the pump with water after each use.
I haven't been flushing the pump. Probably used it 40 times this years. What is the reason for the flush?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
mads

Quote:
The way the DEF tank in the Legacy is not mounted low enough to easily get all the DEF poured into the tank. It requires you to hold a heavy tank in the air and even then it can get messy when trying to get the last little bit out. To cure that issue I took a water pump and mounted it in the compartment next door, installed a switch, drilled two holes through the compartment bulkhead, ran the two hoses to suck and fill. The one with the PVC is small enough to fit into the DEF tank and the other long enough to go into a DEF refill bottle while sitting on the ground. It takes about 10 seconds to empty the refill bottle dry and no mess at all.
I bought a plastic pitcher to use. On this camper the fill tube will stop accepting fluid so just running it out of the original container is not a solution. And, this way, I can do the whole thing by myself.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #13
US MARINE

My design works well and my wife can do it by herself when I'm not with her. Im also pretty impressed at how empty that water pump gets that jug. In very short order the thing is totally vacuumed empty. If I would change anything it would be the location of the pump. There is plenty of room in the DEF compartment. Mounting the pump in that compartment would shorten the amount of hose needed and clean up the whole project.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Not a mh but my chevy is under the hood on the passenger firewall.. Can't use the pumps because their hoses are only a few feet long..

It always amazed me how much effort they put into making these vehicles yet they never think about something so simple like filling the fuel, Def or changing the oil!
Mine is under the hood also and I don't have an issue filling up at the Pilot truck stop fuel island. Hose has always been plenty long enough for me.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #15

DEF

Quote:

On Ford pickups, the DEF fill is just aft of the fuel fill...literally only a few inches, and well identified.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #16
US MARINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lab View Post
On Ford pickups, the DEF fill is just aft of the fuel fill...literally only a few inches, and well identified.
Yea...I didn't actually think tow vehicles/pickups would have an issue with filing their tanks. This Thread is actually meant for motorhomes. Thats why its under
"Forest River Forums > Motorhomes > General Motorhome Discussion > Legacy".
Old 02-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #17

Well done !! Nice Mod !!
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #18
RCW

Quote:
I haven't been flushing the pump. Probably used it 40 times this years. What is the reason for the flush?
If it sits long enough for the def to dry out and crystallize could damage the pump. But if you have been using it that long with no problems, I wouldn't worrie about it. I work in a MB shop and we have a pump for draining tanks. Someone forgot to flush after use, after that it was of no use.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
Mine is under the hood also and I don't have an issue filling up at the Pilot truck stop fuel island. Hose has always been plenty long enough for me.
Never had a hose longer then 3ft... Although one time I found one but it needed the magnet in the nozzle to activate, I could buy one for $35 at the stop... Yeah ok..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:

Or changing the fuel filter on most of the Duramaxes.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump