Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #1

Door Latch failure

While on a trip over the weekend out latch failed locking us out of the coach. Fortunately was able to drag a ladder out and climb through the drivers window. Bunch of metal inside the plate broke essentially jamming the latch like it was locked, removed the latch and can only secure door closed with deadbolt now.

Anyone change out their door latches with electric and have part numbers or photos?

We have another trip coming up and need to get this ASAP! What a pain.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Commercial Member

psw757,

We would be happy to assist you with your door latch. Please contact Mike Winterrowd in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...99931751354986.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
While on a trip over the weekend out latch failed locking us out of the coach. Fortunately was able to drag a ladder out and climb through the drivers window. Bunch of metal inside the plate broke essentially jamming the latch like it was locked, removed the latch and can only secure door closed with deadbolt now.

Anyone change out their door latches with electric and have part numbers or photos?

We have another trip coming up and need to get this ASAP! What a pain.
We had the same thing happen while at the Grand Canyon back in June. I did not see your post until today. Fortunately, I was inside, my wife was outside. I was able to take the inside of the lock apart and move the backset with a screwdriver to open the door. We would never have been able to get in through the front window, (too old for that)
I know this is a common issue with these locks, however, I just ordered another one on Amazon, and installed it when I got home.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$129.00, done!
Old 08-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #4

Just a FYI....

The door itself is made by challenger door and the oem latch through them is $57 plus shipping like $10 and they have an electronic one I opted for with a key and was $230 plus shipping.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Just a FYI....

The door itself is made by challenger door and the oem latch through them is $57 plus shipping like $10 and they have an electronic one I opted for with a key and was $230 plus shipping.
Wow, interesting! I did not even look at Challenger, I just figured they made doors and frames and bought the latches. Will keep that in mind, thanks.

Tags
door