Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

Driving stablizer

After reading the features on the Legacy, I did not see a steering stablizer listed as one of the features. Is it a good idea for safety reasons to have one installed? Also, we have a Legacy 340 KP 2014. How do I know for sure what size cummins engine we have? (I have been told a 300 but some brochures list the engine as a 340)
PFurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #2

After a blowout I put on a stabilzer as a safety measure and also to make driving a bit more comfortable...(fewer wheel adjustments per mile). I think it is worth it for the safety and just makes a slight difference on MY RV in driving. But I don't pull a toad and I didn't have any handling issues before I installed it. It might be a bigger driving aid if you had more of a wandering chassis.
I'm not a diesel guy...but the current FR brochure lists the Legacy as a Cummins ISB 340hp engine. http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...cybrochure.pdf

Going to the Cummmins site...the only ISB engine is the
ISB6.7 for Motorhome (2013)
Available for: On-Highway, Motorhome
which lists a range of HP available...so I'd trust the Forest River current spec. unless you have an older brochure that says otherwise since the model # has not changed. Here's the Cummins link to that engine.
ISB6.7 for Motorhome (2013) - Cummins Engines
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #3

Your 2014 has a 300HP Cummins. FR just started putting the 340HP on the 2015 (SR340) 340KP and 340BH but you will see some late 2014s that are being sold as 2015s that are 300HP. Those 2015s, that aren't truly 2015s, will have SR300 on the side and back. I caught on to this and decided to order my 2015 so I would get all of the new features on the 2015. The 360 model has always had a 340HP.
Regarding stabilizers, I put a Safe T Plus on my last 2 RVs (Class C Four Winds and Class A Tiffin) and it made all the difference in the world. After I first drove the Legacy Diesel I was convinced it will not be necessary on this new one....I hope not anyway. Adding the Safe T Plus can however serve as an additional safety measure to assist with tracking in the event of a front tire blow out.
dndnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

Thank you for all that info. I think we have the 300 because our RV was one of the first 40 off the line!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #5

We have a 2014 Legacy 340bh and haven't found the chassis to wander and haven't really seen the need for the stabilizer.

It may add a level of safety in the event of a major blow out but if you are doing it for handling, as long as your coach is relatively evenly loaded with proper tire pressure it shouldn't be needed. They aren't a inexpensive modification.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Thank you! It would be

for safety because the motor home handles well ( except the wind gets us sometimes)