Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

DVD Player in 2018 Legacy

We are getting ready to order a new Legacy 38C and I can’t help but notice the difference in the description between the Legacy and the Berkshire.
The Legacy says “Upconverting DVD player” and the Berkie comes with a blue ray player.

Since the brand and model aren’t specified, I’m wondering it it’s an off the shelf product? I didn’t even realize that they sold non-Blu-ray players anymore...

In other words, what type of DVD player do you have in your legacy? I’m going to ask the rep about it before we finalize...
Old 01-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #2

We have a 2017 Legacy which also came with the upconverting DVD player. The coach is wired to support HDMI which supports 1080p so we went ahead and added a Blu-Ray player. The Blu-Ray player delivers a 1080p signal to the three Samsung LED TVs, but I just found out the TVs only support 720p so we can't even enjoy the full benefit of 1080p. Unfortunately, this is also the case with our DirecTV 1080i signal. Apparently, the TVs automatically down convert to 720p. If you are ordering a new coach, I would suggest adding the BluRay player and verify that the TVs support 1080p.
RURVcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RURVcrazy View Post
We have a 2017 Legacy which also came with the upconverting DVD player. The coach is wired to support HDMI which supports 1080p so we went ahead and added a Blu-Ray player. The Blu-Ray player delivers a 1080p signal to the three Samsung LED TVs, but I just found out the TVs only support 720p so we can't even enjoy the full benefit of 1080p. Unfortunately, this is also the case with our DirecTV 1080i signal. Apparently, the TVs automatically down convert to 720p. If you are ordering a new coach, I would suggest adding the BluRay player and verify that the TVs support 1080p.

Thanks for the info! I will definitely do that!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #4

Just to throw my two-cents in here, I wouldn't worry too much about the TV resolution. When we're talking about the size of TV's that go in a motorhome, your eyes probably won't detect a difference between 720 lines and 1080 lines of pixels. Also, I'm not sure what the smallest tv is they make with 1080 but I don't think I've seen one smaller than 36" and those are rare. If you start getting close to 50" size, then you might see a difference. 720p and 1080p are both considered HD TV's.

The biggest concern is the DVD player. You definitely want to get a blu-ray put in there. Not for picture quality but the simple fact that a standard DVD player (including ones the "up-convert" the signal) can not play a Blu-ray Disc. Without one, leave your Blu-ray Discs at home.

Tags
dvd