Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
7 Year Class A RV'er

Electrical Issue

OK, folks - here's a puzzler for you. Got up this morning to leave after a week in the campground. On shore power the whole time, etc. Raised the leveling jacks with no problem. Tried to crank the generator and it just clicked, like a low battery. Monitors show coach batteries are 100%. Also, neither of the slides would come in. The small slide is electric, but the larger slide is hydraulic and is powered by the same pump that was working the levelers! Also noticed the awning would not go in or out. Inverter and trickle charging both show as working. Hooked back up to shore power for the A/C and after a while, the awning started working again. I then checked the slides and they both worked. Generator still just clicks. Called Coach Net and they tried to troubleshoot with no luck. Mobile service should be here any minute and we've decided to just spend another night here and be sure everything is working before we pull out and head for home, which is a two day drive. Finally got a call back from Forest a River tech support (just now) and he seems to think it is most likely a 250A fuse that's blown. Not even sure where to find that. I'll let everyone know the outcome from the mobile repairman for future reference. In the interim, guesses?

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #2

Conceptumator... did you review this thread?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-83315.html

There was a blown 150AMP fuse in this thread... might be the same one.
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Blown fuse.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

Yes, I did review that thread and thought maybe that was it, but wasn't. Nothing but an unfortunate string of New Owner Stupidity! This is our first diesel generator and, being from Florida, I wasn't prepared for the fact we had temps in the low 50's here the last couple of nights. As a result, what I took to indicate a low battery was just the preheat/prime cycle and I didn't give it time to complete. When the generator didn't start, I cranked the engine to make sure I had enough power for the slides. What never dawned on me was that the slides and awning are locked out when the ignition is on. Luckily, it only cost me $22 for the service guy and he didn't even tell me how dumb I was! All is well now, we just spent an extra night in the mountains rather than pull out so late. Thanks for the input!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

Well i'm sure glad that's all it was and no major systems failure. As complicated as these things are, we're all bound to do something like this before its over. The good news is you've gotten yours out of the way and very little wear and tear in the process.

Glad it worked out.
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #6

Glad all worked out
Old 06-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #7

Great news. I'll try not to make the same mistake when I get my Legacy next week.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

Aeroshots: Here's a suggestion for you to make thing much more enjoyable. The in-dash GPS/XM/??? pretty well sucks. I got a Garmin RV GPS to use instead - much better! Bought the Garmin friction mount and it sits right on the dash - easy to see, hear and use. For iPod connectivity (and due to the really lousy 2" speakers they chose to mount to the ceiling behind the electric bunk) we got a Bose wireless speaker for $179 and just set it on the dash and connect with Bluetooth. Great sound! Battery life gets better as you use it but seems to be good for a day's drive. I use the dash system now strictly for the camera monitor. Just let me know if you'd like pictures.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Aeroshots: Here's a suggestion for you to make thing much more enjoyable. The in-dash GPS/XM/??? pretty well sucks. I got a Garmin RV GPS to use instead - much better! Bought the Garmin friction mount and it sits right on the dash - easy to see, hear and use. For iPod connectivity (and due to the really lousy 2" speakers they chose to mount to the ceiling behind the electric bunk) we got a Bose wireless speaker for $179 and just set it on the dash and connect with Bluetooth. Great sound! Battery life gets better as you use it but seems to be good for a day's drive. I use the dash system now strictly for the camera monitor. Just let me know if you'd like pictures.
I second this setup. I do all the same except the Bluetooth speaker (just haven's done it yet). I never would have thought that the friction mount would have stayed on that dash but it does. I also just use the radio for the cameras and that's it.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

The Bose speaker was sort of an afterthought, but wow! The speaker is only about 2" tall x 8" long and about 2" deep. I bought one of the protective rubber sleeves from Bose to fit it and it doesn't move around at all. Cool thing is the speaker is actually designed to reflect a great deal of the sound off the wall behind it, so the windshield makes it work great. Really nice sound in the cockpit area. We keep the charging cradle on the kitchen counter and charge it when we stop for lunch so it makes it through the entire day. I also bought the 12v charger and plan to route it under the dash so the speaker is powered from the ignition and won't need to be charged. I was going to buy the larger Bose unit but the sales guy at their store convinced me this was all I needed and saved me $100 to boot. Now I'm thinks about dropping the XM service in the MH as we always listen to the iPod! We just pulled into the house about an hour ago from our first trip - 11 days and 1,400 miles. SO much nicer than our gasser (which we really liked)! Enjoy yours!

Old 06-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #11

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mons02035 View Post
I second this setup. I do all the same except the Bluetooth speaker (just haven's done it yet). I never would have thought that the friction mount would have stayed on that dash but it does. I also just use the radio for the cameras and that's it.
Thanks guys. Entertainment while underway is critical to me as well.

Tags
electric, electrical