Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
C8dnLegacy

Exterior steps recall

Received a recall notice about the Lippert Steps. My Legacy is in the shop and one of he warranty issues was that the bolt/gear that the recall notice referred to did fail. Funny thing is that when the dealer contacted FR they were told that my VIN was not part of the recall. In any event they are waiting for the part which apparently is not available.
I am really sick of the back and forth between the dealers and the manufacturer always blaming each other. It is a crazy industry in which he customer comes last.
So the stair issue is real. The bolt which had a kind of fan gear on it controls the movement of the stairs. When it breaks the stairs swing freely. Thank goodness for bungee cords which is how my stairs are currently secured.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #2

The Lippert stairs on my 2011 Cedar Creek broke 2 summers ago. The crappy rivets sheared, so I replaced them all with grade 8 bolts. Damn good thing they didn't give way when I was carrying cases of wine into the trailer.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpalmer View Post
Received a recall notice about the Lippert Steps. My Legacy is in the shop and one of he warranty issues was that the bolt/gear that the recall notice referred to did fail. Funny thing is that when the dealer contacted FR they were told that my VIN was not part of the recall. In any event they are waiting for the part which apparently is not available.
I am really sick of the back and forth between the dealers and the manufacturer always blaming each other. It is a crazy industry in which he customer comes last.
So the stair issue is real. The bolt which had a kind of fan gear on it controls the movement of the stairs. When it breaks the stairs swing freely. Thank goodness for bungee cords which is how my stairs are currently secured.
Our Legacy step had exactly the failure mentioned in the recall. Happened the day after we left Elkhart where we did a plant tour. I contacted Mitch, he had me contact Lippert. They were aware of the issue and were quick to ship a complete new upgraded step to a "repair facility" of my choice. Since we were 2500 miles and 3 or 4 weeks from home I was not thrilled but at least there was hope. We sucked it up and did without a step until we got home. I went to a local repair facility, they agreed to the job and Lippert shipped the step. In the mean time, I had already obtained a new bolt, removed the step and fixed it myself (quick and simple job once I was home). A couple weeks later the new step was installed. My issue, why can't manufacturers just sent the damn step to me? Probably figure I'm too stupid to install 4 bolts and 4 wires. For the record, we copied your use of bungee cords. Where would we without them and maybe so!e duct tape.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

Strange, I talked to Mitch yesterday and he assured me the recall only applies to lippert steps that have 2-3 steps and not the single on the Legacy.

Looks like I may have to call him out on this.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Strange, I talked to Mitch yesterday and he assured me the recall only applies to lippert steps that have 2-3 steps and not the single on the Legacy.

Not sure about the recall, I didn't really read since I just replaced the steps. However if you have a failure, Mitch can hook you up with the correct number/person at Lippert. The person I spoke to was right on it when I told her the exact problem, had my warrantee and shipping info. in one minute.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #6

I also had the same problem with my 2014 legacy. The bolt which holds the gear sheared off. This was quite a few months afterwards. Should be an easy fix, reason: just extract the bolt and go to your hardware store and purchase a grade 8 bolt. Also the motor is nothing more than a windshield wiper motor.
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post

our step is Coach Step which is not Lippert.
" On the go to see something amazing"
- Psalm 107:23-24
lrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, recall