Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I emailed Forest River today and asked for my spec sheet. I also researched the online specs some more and found that in a couple of locations they indicate steel wheels, but in the vast majority of their specs they say aluminum are standard. Not sure what to think of it. Thanks for the input.
My feeling is that since the Legacy is a newer offering than the Berkshire, they started with Berkshire materials and updated them to Legacy specs and some were missed. The electronic version of their brochure still shows it as aluminum, but I'm expecting steel.
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #42
7 Year Class A RV'er

I just heard back from the customer service folks at FR. My build sheet (based on the VIN) showed steel wheels. The copy of the spec's they sent with my build sheet showed steel wheels, but it was for a different year and model than mine. When I specifically asked about the fact their current brochure indicates aluminum wheels to be standard equipment, he said it was a typo. Personally, it sounds to me like it's a typo that they need to take steps to correct. If I had not noticed they were steel wheels before my purchase, I would be banging on someone's front door and demanding my aluminum wheels. Hope you're listening, Forest River - not upset, but that situation does need to be addressed!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #43

Quote:
I just heard back from the customer service folks at FR. My build sheet (based on the VIN) showed steel wheels. The copy of the spec's they sent with my build sheet showed steel wheels, but it was for a different year and model than mine. When I specifically asked about the fact their current brochure indicates aluminum wheels to be standard equipment, he said it was a typo. Personally, it sounds to me like it's a typo that they need to take steps to correct. If I had not noticed they were steel wheels before my purchase, I would be banging on someone's front door and demanding my aluminum wheels. Hope you're listening, Forest River - not upset, but that situation does need to be addressed!
I too noticed the "typo" prior to purchase. I had the brochure in hand at an RV show where we first saw a Legacy and realized the coach had steel wheels. Of course the salesman on hand was clueless about the issue. After looking at several Legacy's I realized steel was it, they have to do something to come in at a competitive price point, I get it. Wish I had nice wheels, but happy with our rig so moving on.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #44
7 Year Class A RV'er

Same feelings here - love the coach (will like it much better once they get the issues with the water heater figured out!) and knew what I was buying. It just bugs me when things like that happen. I totally understand the competing price thing. My plan is to look into replacing the wheels when I have to replace the tires in a few years. Throwing out a few thousand brochures with a typo in them is not going to be nearly as costly as when someone takes them to court over not having the aluminum wheels - truth in advertising is a big topic these days!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post
I believe that FL offers the XC-S chassis in both configurations, steel and aluminum wheels. For purposes of cost reductions FR goes with steel on the Legacy. If you go to Freighliner's website, you'll also see that the XC-S chassis come with Front discs standard and Independent Front suspension is available on that chassis as well, but as stated not ordered for cost.

Bear in mind Thor does the same thing on their Palazzo which is intended to be comparable to the Legacy, however in my opinion it is far inferior.
Well put. On all those options I have decided "it is what it is" and we are happy with it. We too looked closely at the Palazzo and came to the same conclusion. We liked some of the configurations, but overall build quality, not even close. Take a walk on a Palazzo roof, then on a Legacy roof. Wow.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Same feelings here - love the coach (will like it much better once they get the issues with the water heater figured out!) and knew what I was buying. It just bugs me when things like that happen. I totally understand the competing price thing. My plan is to look into replacing the wheels when I have to replace the tires in a few years. Throwing out a few thousand brochures with a typo in them is not going to be nearly as costly as when someone takes them to court over not having the aluminum wheels - truth in advertising is a big topic these days!

I have plans for a few mods once I buy, more than likely wheels will be when I need new tires. Jury is still out on the Atwood heater, but if it gives me any grief its going as well, not a fan of the Girard heater. I love the FR products, and the people I've dealt with are great. I feel like at the price point, you can beat the Legacy. I also feel like the things Thor got wrong, FR got it right on the Legacy.
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory