Old 06-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #31

Vince, did a quick search on the Georgetown forum and found these... not sure if they are helpful or not.

Hellwig Sway Bar Install
Cheap Handling Fix
Sway bars
Working with truck repair shop to correct steering/stability problems
Aftermarket sway bar
Swaying
TigerTrak Sway Control
Rear Trac Bar

Old 06-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #32

foretm,
Thanks so much for digging into this. I've done all of these. The tire shop I was at today said that some inherent instability comes from the small tires (19.5) on such a large MH (38'). (Later 2015 Georgetown models, exactly like my 2015 come with 22.5 inch tires. Haven't yet found out why the mid-year change.) Members on the Forum acknowledge the different tire sizes. The dealer already put on the TruTrac rear trac bar and a steering stabilizer. He now recommends new shocks all the way around. I also added the 1 and 3/4" heavy duty rear sway bar from Roadmaster. Still, I run across an occasional Forum statement that this is a common problem with the Ford F53 chassis and I just need to "get used to it". I'm considering larger tires, wheels and simulators, but that's another $3,000 to $4,000. A pusher is starting to look real good right about now!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #33
7 Year Class A RV'er

I've never been in a Georgetown, but from the conversation, it sounds like they're built on the F53 chassis. The Hurricane I traded in back in April was on the same chassis. It was only 31', but I can attest to the sway thing being common. Once I got used to it, all was OK, but it would wear you out after a long day of driving, especially in wind. Even small cars passing would cause fairly major sway that you had to be prepared for. When we got the new Legacy on the highway, I couldn't believe the difference. So much easier to drive and you're not a total wreck after 10 hours behind the wheel! Sorry to say it, but I think what folks are telling you is correct: the sway goes with the territory in a gasser. Good luck. Hope you find something that works.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Thanks for the update on your visit - really appreciated.

Strange you noticed the steel wheels on the Legacy. When I first started looking, aluminum wheels were on my wish list. The salesman first told me the Legacy had aluminum, but when I pointed out they were steel he seemed a little confused. Maybe because the brochure they pass out for the Legacy indicates them to be aluminum? Sure does - I have a copy of it. Alas, I knew they were steel when I bought it, so that's a future enhancement, maybe when I need tires in a few years. For now, the way the set up the stems on the inner duals is really easy to work with so I'm happy.
Reference the aluminum verses steel wheels. I found it interesting when I spoke with FL about getting a quote on aluminum wheels. They looked up my VIN and stated "hum, that shows it comes with aluminum rims". Very strange, but someone somewhere knows the story on this.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #35
7 Year Class A RV'er

aeroshots: That is strange. Sounds like maybe we should question Forest River as to why they advertise aluminum wheels, show we have aluminum wheels and then install steel wheels. Might be an interesting explanation, for sure.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #36
David29829

I attended Camp Freightliner last week. The first order of business is to give a spec sheet for your motorhome based on the chassis Vin number. My 2015 Legacy BH was born with painted steel rims..
Old 06-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #37
David29829

P.S. Camp Freightliner in Gaffney SC was awesome..
Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #38
7 Year Class A RV'er

I emailed Forest River today and asked for my spec sheet. I also researched the online specs some more and found that in a couple of locations they indicate steel wheels, but in the vast majority of their specs they say aluminum are standard. Not sure what to think of it. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:01 AM   #39

Interesting. Found that too on spec. sheets prior to purchase and was surprised
Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
Reference the aluminum verses steel wheels. I found it interesting when I spoke with FL about getting a quote on aluminum wheels. They looked up my VIN and stated "hum, that shows it comes with aluminum rims". Very strange, but someone somewhere knows the story on this.
I believe that FL offers the XC-S chassis in both configurations, steel and aluminum wheels. For purposes of cost reductions FR goes with steel on the Legacy. If you go to Freighliner's website, you'll also see that the XC-S chassis come with Front discs standard and Independent Front suspension is available on that chassis as well, but as stated not ordered for cost.

Bear in mind Thor does the same thing on their Palazzo which is intended to be comparable to the Legacy, however in my opinion it is far inferior.

Tags
factory