Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #1

Factory Tour in June

Folks, I've been researching the FR Legacy 360RB for some time now and will be visiting the factory on June 9th for a tour. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on questions I should ask, or if anyone had a question they would like the answer to, and I'd be happy to ask it once there.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm also considering the Thor Palazzo 36.1, however with all the slide issues they're having, I've all but chosen the Legacy.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
7 Year Class A RV'er

Here's one for you that I'm sure a lot of other folks are wondering about, too. We just picked up our 360RB about three weeks ago and there's something that's puzzling me. The RV comes with three HD TV's installed, but the DVD player they put in is NOT blu-ray. Even worse, when you try to install your own blu-ray player, you find it next to impossible as the only way to connect it to the video distribution center provided is using RCA cables and no one that I have been able to find manufactures a blu-ray player with RCA jacks as you lose the video quality when you do that. Since the majority of DVD's we own are blu-ray, we can't even play them in the Jensen unit the factory installed.

Another thing is that even if they aren't going to provide the Sirius XM module for the factory radio, they should consider installing the Sirius XM antenna and just leaving it hanging under the dash. Once you do get the module for the radio, installing the antenna entails either simply laying it on the dash and having very poor reception or cutting a hole somewhere in the roof and trying to route the wire down to where you need it. They could have installed it at the same time they put in the AM/FM antenna for the radio.

Last but not least, they seem to have a QC issue in their factory when it comes to exhaust systems. After getting our unit home, I noticed I couldn't see the chrome tip on the exhaust. When I crawled under to check things out, I found the entire final section of the exhaust pipe (about three foot plus the tip) were never installed! I normally wouldn't think too much of it, but I posted a note showing what I found on here and another owner immediately responded that he had found the same issue on his new Legacy 360RB.

Don't get me wrong, the quality is great and I love the new MH, I am just a stickler for "why didn't they think about that" when it comes to things. Have fun on the tour - sounds like it would be interesting.
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post
Folks, I've been researching the FR Legacy 360RB for some time now and will be visiting the factory on June 9th for a tour. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on questions I should ask, or if anyone had a question they would like the answer to, and I'd be happy to ask it once there.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm also considering the Thor Palazzo 36.1, however with all the slide issues they're having, I've all but chosen the Legacy.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Great, wish I could go on the tour also. We love our Legacy but here are a few issues that would be good to bring up:

I second the motion on entertainment. Why not run HDMI rather than coax to all the HD tv's? Wayyy too big a job once the coach is built

IF the rig has a GPS installed, make sure the antenna is placed outside the dash rather than just sitting next to the unit under the dash, does not work there.

If you are going to install solar power, ask if it is possible to run the wire to the roof during the build.

Why is there not a second coax running to the LR bay for an outdoor sat. dish, as well as cable. It's a pain just having one, I had to install an A/B switch so I can use it as either sat or cable.

Hope the tour is fun!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #4

Easiest solution to use a blue ray is the rocket fish 4 port wireless hdmi kit which can be had on camping world for $199. It works well in an Rv and no wires.

As for the issue of Sirius , I don't know any coaches that come with this installed from factory. The stereo sucks and really needs some more speakers up in dash area. We have the Sirius app on iPhone with wireless acct and use it via the aux port on the Jensen headunit. Can also be streamed via Bluetooth to our Polk surround system or mini Bose sound link that we travel with.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks for the input. I tried the Rocketfish solution. Found it at CW on clearance for under $100, bought it, read the instructions and found it wouldn't work for me. That particular unit requires a straight line communication between transmitter and receiver with no interference. I needed to put the player and transmitter in the lower cabinet with the receiver and TV in a second cabinet directly above. No worky; returned it.

I understand about Sirius and it just so happened I had a receiver laying around that worked with the OEM radio. What I was suggesting was that FR should consider installing the Sirius antenna when they installed the regular antenna for the radio. They run in the same path, so it's next to no added work and saves the owner needing to put a hole in the roof to properly mount the antenna later.

Just suggestions to the FR folks.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #6

Thanks Conceptumator & Rick...

1. Why is the coach not wired for HD (HDMI) when you have HD TVs.
2. Why not a Blu-ray which will play DVD as well?
3. Why isn't the XM option included and antenna installed?
4. Seems to be a rash of exhaust tubes/tips missing lately...?
5. Why isn't the GPS antenna mounted on the roof?

I noticed that some of the newer 360 RBs are coming with larger windows in the kitchen, which means no backsplash. I can deal with that, but the thing i'm concerned about is why did the bathroom sinks go from stainless to corian all of a sudden with no warning?
Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Conceptumator & Rick...

1. Why is the coach not wired for HD (HDMI) when you have HD TVs.
2. Why not a Blu-ray which will play DVD as well?
3. Why isn't the XM option included and antenna installed?
4. Seems to be a rash of exhaust tubes/tips missing lately...?
5. Why isn't the GPS antenna mounted on the roof?

I noticed that some of the newer 360 RBs are coming with larger windows in the kitchen, which means no backsplash. I can deal with that, but the thing i'm concerned about is why did the bathroom sinks go from stainless to corian all of a sudden with no warning?
Good question, glad mine is stainless.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #8

For all of us Class A owners with a Ford chassis, there has got be a question about addressing sway. I've heard lots of ideas and read about a lot of our FRF members spending large amounts of hard-earned money trying to resolve this irritating albeit unsafe condition. All I want to know is what does FR recommend! To my knowledge, they have never come out and said, this is the way to fix it.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

We just traded in our 31' Class A Ford gasser for the Legacy. Can definitely feel for you. It was our first MH, so I just assumed they were all like that until I test drove the DP. World of difference!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
For all of us Class A owners with a Ford chassis, there has got be a question about addressing sway. I've heard lots of ideas and read about a lot of our FRF members spending large amounts of hard-earned money trying to resolve this irritating albeit unsafe condition. All I want to know is what does FR recommend! To my knowledge, they have never come out and said, this is the way to fix it.
Vince/Charlotte, I will ask the question, however the plan i'll be touring is the diesel plant that builds the DP line (Legacy, Berkshire, Charleston), so i'm not sure of the response I'll get.

Forest River Diesel Division
Plant #40 -
Charleston/Berkshire/Legacy SR300/340
1800 W. Hively Ave.
Elkhart, IN 46517
Old 05-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #11

Wish I was there to go on the tour as well. I would love to meet Mitch Wirt who is just delightful to work with on any warrantee issues. Maybe next spring who knows.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #12

Good to know Rick... if you want me to pass anything along to Mitch, let me know.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Good to know Rick... if you want me to pass anything along to Mitch, let me know.
Haha, will do. I just talked to him and thanked him for being so helpful.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

That's fine. By the way, if you see a super/incredible deal on a DP, please let me know. We just bought a brand new 2015 Georgetown 364TS. Three gasser characteristics make me dream for a DP: sway, lack of power and noise level. However, we love the interior design. Since my DW and I made a commitment to live debt-free, the DP was out of our reach. So, we are learning to be satisfied with and thankful for what we have.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #15

Any last minute thoughts on questions you want answered?
Old 06-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Please ask what is the difference between Palazzo Schwintec slide system and the Legacy Schwintec slide system. And, why owners or potential purchasers of a Legacy sound not worry about issues with a Legacy Schwintec slide.

Thanks.
aeroshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #17

Aeroshots, which model are you interested in from Forest River? If its the Legacy 360RB, it does not use the Schwintek slide system, it uses hydraulic on the main and some other system on the bedroom slide.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #18

34kp

Interested in the 340KP
aeroshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Yes and thanks for asking. Please ask if they are going to come up with an "emergency" way of moving the kitchen slide in on the 340kp in the event of a schwintek slide failure. Current answer is disengage both motors and get some help to push in. NOT. If the slide is all the way out, can't be done and even so once the motors are disengaged it would take a dozen NFL players to move that slide. Also, why did they use a hydraulic slide on the 360 but not on the 340 and is there a way to retrofit?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #20

I could not find the little popcorn eating guy. So, how was the tour?

Tags
factory