Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #1

Fresh water tank levels

Camping this weekend and using our freshwater tanks I ran out of water. If you look on the passenger side you can see that the water level in the fresh tank is low near the intake for the pump. But look on the drivers side of the fresh water tank and there is 2 to 3 inches on that side.

So if the water pump draw was on the drivers side I would have much more usable water.

Do you see the same thing on your Legacy?

I am wondering if my leveler is off as I had the levelers down when I checked this.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #2

My reply was to the wrong post
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

yes, it's doubtful that if the coach is level you will see any difference side to side...

if your tank is like ours, 2/3 of the tank runs from side to side, but the other 1/3 is only half of the tank, on the passenger side... I marked mine at full, 2/3, and 1/3 levels so that I can easily do a visual check...

but, if you are so inclined, you could 'tilt' your coach to the side that needs the water!

travel and enjoy!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
yes, it's doubtful that if the coach is level you will see any difference side to side...

if your tank is like ours, 2/3 of the tank runs from side to side, but the other 1/3 is only half of the tank, on the passenger side... I marked mine at full, 2/3, and 1/3 levels so that I can easily do a visual check...

but, if you are so inclined, you could 'tilt' your coach to the side that needs the water!

travel and enjoy!
The coach is level right now and the water level is off side to side. I'll try and get pictures. What bugs me is the water inlet is on the low side so when the water is around 1/3 of full the pump pulls air. I would consider moving the inlet to the other side if there was a way to do it without removing the tank.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #5

I would check your water 'outlet' to the water pump, it should be on the driver's side of the bay, and should be at the BOTTOM left edge of the water tank...

if not, it was probably installed incorrectly, switched with the water 'inlet' to the water tank, which is usually on the same side near the TOP edge of the tank...

(I'm using my Palazzo plumbing info, FR may plumb your Legacy differently...)

another thought about the water level being 'off' side-to-side: the tank is supported by the floor - could your floor on the passenger side be sagging?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjoe3 View Post
Camping this weekend and using our freshwater tanks I ran out of water. If you look on the passenger side you can see that the water level in the fresh tank is low near the intake for the pump. But look on the drivers side of the fresh water tank and there is 2 to 3 inches on that side.

So if the water pump draw was on the drivers side I would have much more usable water.

Do you see the same thing on your Legacy?

I am wondering if my leveler is off as I had the levelers down when I checked this.

Thanks,
Joe
I have a 2015 Legacy and this is exactly what we see. The only answer is to shim the water tank and make sure that it is supported underneath so it does not sag. It really is bothersome that when the coach is perfectly level the factory installed tank is not. I have mentioned this to the diesel division numerous times and they act like they are unaware of it.
copterjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #7

Have had 3 RV's and all of them did the same thing. If the manf. want to make them unlevel, why don't they just make them unlevel in our favor so all the water is tilted towards the hose connection!?!?!?

My 2017 legacy does it TOOO! Makes it even more of a pain when you want to drain the tank. Got to drive to drain it all the way.

linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by copterjohn View Post
I have a 2015 Legacy and this is exactly what we see. The only answer is to shim the water tank and make sure that it is supported underneath so it does not sag.
I am thinking of moving the inlet to the drivers side, but I might just deal with it by adding water all the time. We don't dry camp often.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post

My 2017 legacy does it TOOO! Makes it even more of a pain when you want to drain the tank. Got to drive to drain it all the way.

Yup I have to unlevel the coach to empty the fresh water. Seems like a very easy design detail that the manufactures just don't care about. Make sure there is a tv outside that sells RVs, but don't waste time on basic functionality.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Yup I have to unlevel the coach to empty the fresh water. Seems like a very easy design detail that the manufactures just don't care about. Make sure there is a tv outside that sells RVs, but don't waste time on basic functionality.
We usually have enough water to get by when we are boondocking which is frequently. At a couple of longer bluegrass festivals I did in fact unlevel the coach a bit on the last day to make sure our water would last. Seems like it would have been easy during design and build of that bay floor to put a little slope to it, or a different tank pick up so all the water is usable. More engineering than I am willing to deal with to fix it.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #11

Yes it is not that big of a problem, I just set my water level from the passenger side. Probably carry more fresh water from home to most destinations.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #12

You may have already done this, but confirm that you are level with another device of your choosing other than the auto level feature.
I use one of these.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Camco...ontent=General
Old 06-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #13

Level

I use a small bubble level to see if I am level and in the garage without the stabilizers down I am dead on. I check on the floor and countertop and both read spot on.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #14

Quote:
I use a small bubble level to see if I am level and in the garage without the stabilizers down I am dead on. I check on the floor and countertop and both read spot on.

Then, I'd consider adding a pickup, not moving the pickup. Probably a debatable idea.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank