Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #21
7 Year Class A RV'er

I'm sure it will be better. I didn't want to call until I had given them a chance to respond via email and until I actually had time to go through it with them. I'll post how things go. Thanks.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #22

Please keep us posted. I for one are interested in how they will work with you.
We have a new Shockwave with the Girard and for us, we'll the Jury is still out. I'm not totally sure it's working properly. Temperatures fluctuate. The feature is brilliant, but if it's not working correctly then I would rather of had a regular water heater. Our other RV we had no problems with the 5 or 6 gallon tank water heater.
Thanks.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #23

Just got back from third short trip in our RB. Jury still out on this water heater but seems to do better each trip. I have lowered the temp setting several times and it seems to do better. I agree with previous comments that it takes some getting used to.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #24
7 Year Class A RV'er

Good to hear. If I can just figure out why mine won't come on when the water is started, maybe I can learn to live with it. Called Girard Tech Service this morning and got no answer, just a directive to leave a voice mail. This was within their operating hours (per the recording) so guess they're just busy. Been about 2 hours now and no call back. Also, still no response to either of my two emails last week. Guess they don't know how determined I can be..........

Old 06-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #25

Definitely keep on them until you get it fixed. Something is not right if it will not turn on when water flowing. Others have received good service from the company. .... hopefully you will too.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Good to hear. If I can just figure out why mine won't come on when the water is started, maybe I can learn to live with it. Called Girard Tech Service this morning and got no answer, just a directive to leave a voice mail. This was within their operating hours (per the recording) so guess they're just busy. Been about 2 hours now and no call back. Also, still no response to either of my two emails last week. Guess they don't know how determined I can be..........
I am dismayed by the lack of call back. Must be something to have so much business that customers don't matter.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #27

By any chance have you tried this number? 949-259-4000
I found it on another website for Greenrvproducts llc.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #28
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks for the alternate number. I called back earlier and finally got through to the tech. Checked the stuff he said we needed to eliminate to get through the first step of diagnosis. Called back and he was on the line so I left a message on his voice mail again. That's been about two hours ago and no call yet. Their office hours are over for the day, so maybe in the morning, even if I have to call them back!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #29
7 Year Class A RV'er

Good news! Even though it was past their office hours in CA, the tech called me back and told me what to check next (I wasn't home at the time). Then he emailed me the service manual and a PowerPoint presentation on how to diagnose the flow switch. His suspicions in the call proved out when I got home. Using a 12V tester, I verified that I do have continuous power at all points on the emergency cutoff switch. From what I understand, one of the points should not be energized. Starting to look like that's why the unit won't turn on unless I recycle it, which cuts power to the ECO and let's it reset. Tech will call he back in the morning to finally diagnose and we'll go from there. Very knowledgable and courteous young man. I'm finally feeling like we'll get it figured out now. I'll post again with the final verdict! ��

Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Good news! Even though it was past their office hours in CA, the tech called me back and told me what to check next (I wasn't home at the time). Then he emailed me the service manual and a PowerPoint presentation on how to diagnose the flow switch. His suspicions in the call proved out when I got home. Using a 12V tester, I verified that I do have continuous power at all points on the emergency cutoff switch. From what I understand, one of the points should not be energized. Starting to look like that's why the unit won't turn on unless I recycle it, which cuts power to the ECO and let's it reset. Tech will call he back in the morning to finally diagnose and we'll go from there. Very knowledgable and courteous young man. I'm finally feeling like we'll get it figured out now. I'll post again with the final verdict! ��
Conceptumator.
That's good news that Girard is communicating with you. Also that they do know their water heater from front to back. Sounds like between them and you it will be fixed.
Please keep us informed.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #31
7 Year Class A RV'er

Update: Spoke with the tech at Girard again this morning and tested a couple more things. Based on the outcome of the test last night, they had me check for continuity across the flow switch again. It showed continuity when the unit was off (no flow), so they had me tap on the switch to free up the "float" inside. It freed up, but it apparently then stuck in the opposite position. Dealer swears they replaced it earlier, but they're going to replace it again. I have an appointment on July 1 (first available) to get that done. We shall see how that goes.............

Old 06-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Update: Spoke with the tech at Girard again this morning and tested a couple more things. Based on the outcome of the test last night, they had me check for continuity across the flow switch again. It showed continuity when the unit was off (no flow), so they had me tap on the switch to free up the "float" inside. It freed up, but it apparently then stuck in the opposite position. Dealer swears they replaced it earlier, but they're going to replace it again. I have an appointment on July 1 (first available) to get that done. We shall see how that goes.............
Hi conceptumator.
Can you post a pic of that flow switch.
Sounds like those switches are unreliable and I would like to check mine out.
Thanks mate, barrie1
Old 06-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #33
7 Year Class A RV'er

Flow Switch Info

This should help anyone with questions on the flow switch or generally how the unit works. The tech at Girard sent these to me. Hope my attachments work OK for everyone.GSWH-1-1M Serv Man downloadable.pdf

Flow Switch Trouble Shooting.pdf

Old 06-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #34

Quote:
This should help anyone with questions on the flow switch or generally how the unit works. The tech at Girard sent these to me. Hope my attachments work OK for everyone.Attachment 80146

Attachment 80147
Thanks so much. I'm an Electrician so this is good info. to always have.
It always helps to have knowledge.
Cheers...
Old 06-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #35

Quote:
This should help anyone with questions on the flow switch or generally how the unit works. The tech at Girard sent these to me. Hope my attachments work OK for everyone.Attachment 80146

Attachment 80147
Thanks so much. I have copies on hand now, very helpful (but hopefully not needed).
Old 06-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Very good job of being tenacious. I am glad they came through. Is the flow control switch a big job to change? If not I am surprised they didn't just send you one.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #37

Quote:

Attachment 80147
In looking at the Flow Switch Trouble shooting pdf it appears the heater has to be removed from the coach to replace the switch. Will be looking over mine in the am to see.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #38
7 Year Class A RV'er

From what the tech told me today, you can remove it while the unit is installed BUT you have to be able to get behind the unit to disconnect the water inlet either way. I don't see any way to get behind mine, though there must be a way to do it for anyone to work on it.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #39

We have access to the back of ours under the kitchen sink. You have to remove some paneling to get in there but I think it can be done. Not sure where on the back of the unit the flow control is.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #40
7 Year Class A RV'er

psw757: Ours is located on the rear passenger side. If there is any access inside, it would be from under the bathroom cabinet but I don't see any panels there. The flow switch is inside the water heater cabinet at the lower left rear. It's a brass fitting with an elbow at the bottom that connects to the water supply. There's a small black rectangular magnet with two black wire on it attached to the vertical side of the fitting. Take a look at the flow switch repair attachment I uploaded earlier. Thanks.

Tags
heater, water